Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Well, I must be among the last to have received the WO 1918 pack - I preordered it at Second Chance Games, which cost me about $10 less than orderding from MMP.

Here are my first impressions, after having opened (!) the pack and examined the scenarios.

The Deluxe boards are beautiful - and if the original eight ones were to be reprinted in the same style, I would order them within a heartbeat.
Board i : urban with some orchards and woods - not extremely original, but it fits well with the Deluxe usual settings (a concentration of troops in a constricted, constructed area).
Board j : Big meaty 4x3 Factory (or prison, or city hall) and stone only buildings. Me like it!
Board k : rural, orchards and a farmhouse, some woods and brush, no walls or hedges: thank you for moving us out of Bocage and offering a board which can fit with other rural settings - I would even guess that an SK scenario could use it.
Board l : a large hill, up two levels, with woods growing up to its summit and crags. A road goes over its top. The crest lines receive a slight shade of darker brown, which adds to the aesthetics (quite like the LFT Deluxe board hills, but more sober).
Just a remark: the lJ2 building on level 2 could be as annoying as the two hex building on the top of board 9 hill (which is SSRed to inexitence in most scenarios).
But I presume that WO pack boards are quite often one-shot products with a very limited usage in other scenarios. That building is presumably the " large pagoda" which appears in the WO26 scenario Aftermath, so it makes sense to have it in the pack rather than provide an overlay.
So no important deal - and SSRs easily can evaporate that building, as with Board 9.

The scenarios all look great - I haven't played any yet, but they all look appealing.

A lot of unit density - never less than 30 squads per scenario - which is one of the reasons for the Deluxe format.
As for me, I don't care much about that factor, as with low unit density, I find that Deluxe boards have a better immersive effect that the usual geoboards, where the terrain is mostly hidden by the counters - and ASL is for me an experience which goes far beyond an exercise of my poor analytical resources.

The scenarios often have chrome elements, but quite simple to play.

WO24 Dew of Death (Xingzi, China, 23 August 1938) : IJA drops a permanent "WP" FFE with more dangerous effects than white phosphorus, as it represents a combat gas bombardment (ugh!).
As it is placed before setup and can miss the aim up to three hexes, I don't know if it will annoy the defending Chinese or actually help them (as Japanese troops won't want to step into the gas) by chanelling the Japanese path to exit.
The addition of possible "parachuted" Japanese leaders during the game (without Air Drop rules) is amusing - I have doubts that they would land so close to the Chinese and within a 400x650 meter zone, but that little SSR is in full line with the SL/ASL trend to spice up a scenario with easily applied chrome.

WO25 The Replacements (USSR, near the Don, 1 september 1942) : Russian Front as usual? Arr no!
Italians (elite 447)...
on the attack
With combined arms : two platoons of L6/40 - the Italians had to replace the promised German tanks with their own - and a FT (!).
Against a rather usual Russian infantry defense : 12 447 squads - with antitank only MOL capability - and one 45L AT . September 42 still allows the 8-0 to be replaced with a 9-0 Commissar.
One cannot shun an Ostfront scenario with Italians. At least I won't!

WO26 Phoenix Rising (China, Tengchong, 26 July 1944) : American trained Chinese troops, carrying two FT , 4 DC, 2 BAZ43 and the usual MG, attack a well defended hill (trenches, three 2+3+5 pillboxes, three 75 ART pieces - not allowed in pillboxes).
The 26 537 Chinese face a mixed Japanese force (6 447, 7 347).
The Chinese have air support (two FB44 with bombs) and a 70+mm OBA Module.
No PTO terrain (but roads are paths).
A meatgrinder with a big potential of exciting events.

WO27 Checking out (Germany, Aachen, 19 october 1944) : late war urban slugfest, with 18 top notch Waffen-SS counterattacking elite US units (12 667, 3 666) who only have one Sherman to support them - complicated for it to survive in a crowdy, heavily built area.
Perhaps the less "original" scenario of the pack, but Deluxe is mostly about urban fighting, isn't it?

WO28 Dean's Defiance (Korea, Taejon, 22 July 1950) : 18 546 - with a "super bazooka" in addition to two BAZ45 - and two Chaffees defend against 26 447 North Korean squads, supported by four T34/85.
Two SSR add to the feeling of an overwhelming North Korean force:
- Reinforcements which can be programmed to come from the sides of the American lines.
- The spontaneous generation of infiltrated North Korean units (527) within American lines, in a way that reminds of Urban Guerrilas.
The numerous, encircling, infiltrating North Koreans, will give the Americans a hard time.
Their 10-3 leader - representing gallant William Dean (who would receive a Medal of Honor for his playing a very active and brave role in the battle, by destroying a tank in CC) - won't be too much to help them.

All in all, I am looking forward to playing those scenarios!
Perhaps rather FtF than VASL, as Deluxe boards offer a better experience on a real table (cf. my aforementioned remark about immersion).

Of course, this is JMO.
YMMV.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I am someone who still has not got this pack. Now that SCG have it in stock I will order from them.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am someone who still has not got this pack. Now that SCG have it in stock I will order from them.
I owe Paul Weir to have informed me that the pack was on preorder there.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the review Robin. I had actually forgotten that this was out. I love deluxe ASL. Your review has spurred me on to go order it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I got mine (from SCG) just yesterday. After getting my brain overheated from going through FW, I put FW aside and opened them up. Now I only have early initial impressions, but I was very pleased and thought the pack very good value, especially given the bulk. Combined with LFT's DASL set, it does help to revive DASL in my mind. I would buy a reprint of the original boards in SK style without hesitation.

The only downside is the extra folding means that you will have to leave them unfolded longer under a heavy pile to make them stay flat. As is, they are more inclined to "resurrect" themselves than 22"x8" boards.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I must be among the last to have received the WO 1918 pack - I preordered it at Second Chance Games, which cost me about $10 less than orderding from MMP.

Here are my first impressions, after having opened (!) the pack and examined the scenarios.

The Deluxe boards are beautiful - and if the original eight ones were to be reprinted in the same style, I would order them within a heartbeat.
Board i : urban with some orchards and woods - not extremely original, but it fits well with the Deluxe usual settings (a concentration of troops in a constricted, constructed area).
Board j : Big meaty 4x3 Factory (or prison, or city hall) and stone only buildings. Me like it!
Board k : rural, orchards and a farmhouse, some woods and brush, no walls or hedges: thank you for moving us out of Bocage and offering a board which can fit with other rural settings - I would even guess that an SK scenario could use it.
Board l : a large hill, up two levels, with woods growing up to its summit and crags. A road goes over its top. The crest lines receive a slight shade of darker brown, which adds to the aesthetics (quite like the LFT Deluxe board hills, but more sober).
Just a remark: the lJ2 building on level 2 could be as annoying as the two hex building on the top of board 9 hill (which is SSRed to inexitence in most scenarios).
But I presume that WO pack boards are quite often one-shot products with a very limited usage in other scenarios. That building is presumably the " large pagoda" which appears in the WO26 scenario Aftermath, so it makes sense to have it in the pack rather than provide an overlay.
So no important deal - and SSRs easily can evaporate that building, as with Board 9.

The scenarios all look great - I haven't played any yet, but they all look appealing.

A lot of unit density - never less than 30 squads per scenario - which is one of the reasons for the Deluxe format.
As for me, I don't care much about that factor, as with low unit density, I find that Deluxe boards have a better immersive effect that the usual geoboards, where the terrain is mostly hidden by the counters - and ASL is for me an experience which goes far beyond an exercise of my poor analytical resources.

The scenarios often have chrome elements, but quite simple to play.

WO24 Dew of Death (Xingzi, China, 23 August 1938)
: IJA drops a permanent "WP" FFE with more dangerous effects than white phosphorus, as it represents a combat gas bombardment (ugh!).
As it is placed before setup and can miss the aim up to three hexes, I don't know if it will annoy the defending Chinese or actually help them (as Japanese troops won't want to step into the gas) by chanelling the Japanese path to exit.
The addition of possible "parachuted" Japanese leaders during the game (without Air Drop rules) is amusing - I have doubts that they would land so close to the Chinese and within a 400x650 meter zone, but that little SSR is in full line with the SL/ASL trend to spice up a scenario with easy applied chrome.

WO25 The Replacements (USSR, near the Don, 1 september 1942) : Russian Front as usual? Arr no!
Italians (elite 447)...
on the attack
With combined arms : two platoons of L6/40 - the Italians had to replace the promised German tanks with their own - and a FT (!).
Against a rather usual Russian infantry defense : 12 447 squads - with antitank only MOL capability - and one 45L AT . September 42 still allows the 8-0 to be replaced with a 9-0 Commissar.
One cannot shun an Ostfront scenario with Italians. At least I won't!

WO26 Phoenix Rising (China, Tengchong, 26 July 1944) : American trained Chinese troops, carrying two FT , 4 DC, 2 BAZ43 and the usual (British) MG, attack a well defended hill (trenches, three 2+3+5 pillboxes, three 75 ART pieces - not allowed in pillboxes).
The 26 537 Chinese face a mixed Japanese force (6 447, 7 347).
The Chinese have air support (two FB44 with bombs) and a 70+mm OBA Module.
No PTO terrain (but roads are paths).
A meatgrinder with a big potential of exciting events.

WO27 Checking out (Germany, Aachen, 19 october 1944) : late war urban slugfest, with 18 top notch Waffen-SS counterattacking elite US units (12 667, 3 666) who only have one Sherman to support them - complicated for it to survive in a crowdy, heavily built area.
Perhaps the less "original" scenario of the pack, but Deluxe is mostly about urban fighting, isn't it?

WO28 Dean's Defiance (Korea, Taejon, 22 July 1950) : 18 546 - with a "super bazooka" in addition to two BAZ45 - and two Chaffees defend against 26 447 North Korean squads, supported by four T34/85.
Two SSR add to the feeling of an overwhelming North Korean force:
- Reinforcements which can be programmed to come from the sides of the American lines.
- The spontaneous generation of infiltrated North Korean units (527) within American lines, in a way that reminds of Urban Guerrilas.
The numerous, encircling, infiltrating North Koreans, will give the Americans a hard time.
Their 10-3 leader - representing gallant William Dean (who would receive a Medal of Honor for his playing a very active and brave role in the battle, by destroying a tank in CC) - won't be too much to help them.

All in all, I am looking forward to playing those scenarios!
Perhaps rather FtF than VASL, as Deluxe boards offer a better experience on a real table (cf. my aforementioned remark about immersion).

Of course, this is JMO.
YMMV.
Now that's a decent product review!
I'm definitely going to order this for the maps and the Italian and Korean War scenarios.

WO 27 Checking Out smells like a wet dog however. A limited first impression I know, but unless there are some SSR's which I'm unaware of, it sure sounds like yet another 'low quality U.S. Army-as-portrayed -in-ASL' getting schwacked by the SS scenario.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'm more inclined to "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" (as the gun fetishists say). It can so easily be SSRed out. It's only a single hex house, so quite plausible that someone wanted to look down on the neighbours or was wary of floods, it's not the Taj Mahal, a Dark Satanic Mill or NKVD entertainment centre.

The rest of your review I simply can't match. When the first mention of DASL boards in WO9/2018 came up I thought someone was yanking our chains. Given that a WO usually contains 1 and occasionally 2 22"x8" boards, the inclusion of 4 DASL boards I found quite astounding. If you are one who is a bit lax in collecting WOs, I strongly urge you to pick up this one. You will kick yourselves afterwards when they go out of stock.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only downside is the extra folding means that you will have to leave them unfolded longer under a heavy pile to make them stay flat. As is, they are more inclined to "resurrect" themselves than 22"x8" boards.
All things considered, we are very happy with how the folding worked out.

I don't think we would have done these boards (or would reprint the old ones) if we had to use the old flat boxes.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WO 27 Checking Out smells like a wet dog however. A limited first impression I know, but unless there are some SSR's which I'm unaware of, it sure sounds like yet another 'low quality U.S. Army-as-portrayed -in-ASL' getting schwacked by the SS scenario.
I generally am not at a loss for words, but I don't know where to start with the gross mischaracterizations herein. SMH

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

I don't think we would have done these boards (or would reprint the old ones) if we had to use the old flat boxes.
I think they're terrific. And if you plexi or poster frame, no issues at all.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

I won't disagree. Given the size of DASL boards, you did damn pretty well. However in a review I felt obliged to point out both the pluses and minuses.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
OK, we are now this close to reducing ASL new product reviews to:

Designer: I'm in the process of working on a new scenario. Can't give you any details yet, other than it features Germans and Americans ....
ASL Reviewer: Well, that's sure to be a dog. Man, I am so sick of these same-old, same-old scenario designs.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The high counter density of most scenarios fits well with the Deluxe format.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
OK, we are now this close to reducing ASL new product reviews to:

Designer: I'm in the process of working on a new scenario. Can't give you any details yet, other than it features Germans and Americans ....
ASL Reviewer: Well, that's sure to be a dog. Man, I am so sick of these same-old, same-old scenario designs.
Do you have the name of the scenario and/or what it will be published in? It sure sounds like one to avoid.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I won't disagree. Given the size of DASL boards, you did damn pretty well. However in a review I felt obliged to point out both the pluses and minuses.
I use transparent removable tape to hold my boards down and together. It works fine and there isn't the slight refraction effect of the plexiglas.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just noticed a nice feature on th hill board: where there are woods on the hill, a very fine crest line is drawn through the woods depiction.
Certainly works well on Deluxe, but I could also be done on geoboards rather easily, I would say.