Winter Offensive 2023

Jplott94

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Country
llUnited States
I plan on attending Winter Offensive in January. I have paid for admission and booked a hotel room, but I have never been to a gaming convention before. I also haven't played against a human opponent since SL days. Does anybody have advice on what I should do to prepare for the convention?
WO 2020 was the first gaming event I attended. Went in cold with about half of my SK kit (at the time) and nervous as heck. Could have not been a better experience! Looking forward to meeting up with friends I made there 3 years ago! Just Go...have fun!

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't sweat the load. Everyone there will be more than willing to help you out. Your dice and ASLRB may be all you require. Perry can answer questions if you have concerns about what else to bring.

Relax, have fun, meet people and learn things. I guarentee players there will be more than willing to address any concerns you have and assist you as best they can. They may kick your a$$ in the process but that is how you will learn to kick theirs!😉

Roll low and good gunnin to you and all who attend. 🤗
Thank you for the response.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WO 2020 was the first gaming event I attended. Went in cold with about half of my SK kit (at the time) and nervous as heck. Could have not been a better experience! Looking forward to meeting up with friends I made there 3 years ago! Just Go...have fun!
I was signed up for last year but didn't get to go since it was cancelled.

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking for a roommate for Winter Offensive. I have a two double bed room reserved from Thursday to Sunday. If anyone is interested in sharing a room (or even car pooling from the Albany NY area) let me know.
Thanks,
Brian Wiersma

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So is there any word on releases, besides the WO pack? It sounds like J14 may not quite be ready. Since DZ: SME is still showing its pre-order price, unless something is working behind the scenes, that one may follow WO as well. Looking forward to the other discounted prices on MMP ware, but will focus on ASL items based on what's new.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seriously don't over think this. You will have a much better time if you approach it as an opportunity to expand your network with fellow ASLers and anything else is a bonus.
I plan on attending Winter Offensive in January. I have paid for admission and booked a hotel room, but I have never been to a gaming convention before. I also haven't played against a human opponent since SL days. Does anybody have advice on what I should do to prepare for the convention?
Just let your prospective opponent know your experience level. If you would rather not play scenarios that require a lot of experience with chapters E, F,G for example. Of course, if you would like to gain that experience, this would be a great opportunity (but at least read the relevant rules once or twice beforehand.)

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What does this year's Winter Offensive pack contain? Is it a pure scenario pack or does it contain any boards?

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any info on the tournament format?
Same as always, mostly stolen from ASLOk.
Rolling playtest minis.
The Main Event features an unstructured, round-robin format. Opponents mutually agree on the ASL scenario to be played. You may play a given scenario or opponent only once. A minimum of five scenarios is required in order to qualify for the Main Event, but additional matches may be required to win.
Approximately.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Same as always, mostly stolen from ASLOk.
Rolling playtest minis.
The Main Event features an unstructured, round-robin format. Opponents mutually agree on the ASL scenario to be played. You may play a given scenario or opponent only once. A minimum of five scenarios is required in order to qualify for the Main Event, but additional matches may be required to win.
Approximately.
Thanks for writing it ASLOk. That's the way Fish preferred it. I'm sure you knew that.

We used Don Munsell's format from the '85 Squad Leader Open so no problem with WO using ours. Honored actually. 🤗

Good luck and good gunnin to all who attend.

Last edited: