Winter Offensive 2004

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a great time at this year's Winter Offensive--suprised I haven't seen more about it on the Forum's. Here's a summary of my games:

Round 1: "Escape to Wiltz" (J88) vs Sean Deller.
I had the US in this one and thought I was doing really well---until the end.
I sent Riders (667/dmMMG/8-1) on the Stewie to the "Y" in the road (39Y10) to keep the Germans from getting too far toward the US exit area on turn 2. It was a great move, UNTIL, the German sniper whacked the 8-1, the squad broke, bailed, CRd and the MMG was lost. That HS didn't get back into action until turn 4 or so. My GI's made great progress and blew back the small German force guarding the exit area. I decided to exit my AFVs a turn early so they weren't at risk. That allowed the Germans to more easily approach the exit area, and I came up one point short at the end. But it was a fun game against a skilled opponent. 0-1

Round 2: "Pavlov's House" (J82) vs Chuck Tewksbury
Chuck and I have played many games on VASL over the years, but this was our first FTF meeting. His Germans attacked my Russians holed up in the small setup area. Chuck didn't heed the advice in the Journal and tried to use the FP of his Pz's instead of the smoke. The Russian ATG wound up taking out both Pz's by turn 3 and the German infantry had trouble getting even a toe-hold in the building. 1-1

Round 3: "First Threat" (ABTF4) vs Gary Mei
I looked forward to the opportunity to play last year's champ, plus
Gary and I had been unable to get a game in at Fall Classic. I've been playing ABTF CG3, so this scenario looked good. I spread out my Brits
from X16 around to Y23. The ATG went in T16 with 5/8" dummies over a
648 in U22--not a great deception, but at least it made Gary take a little
bit of a guess. He wasn't fooled and parked one Pz straight in front of
U22. The rest of the game was classic strong Germans vs Brits playing
a bit of hide & seek. When the Brit reinforcments came on Turn 4, I was greatly releived. I did manage to bag that one Pz by U22 in CC, so was up a couple CVPs. Gary faked left on turn 6 and I shifted both PIATs to that side. Then on the last turn he shifted right with both Pzs and got a couple squads into S16. My last turn was spent trying to get the PIATs
back over (never did) and then jump on his one Pz and squads in CC.
Missed the Pz, but his Inf missed me, and with the other Pz not in a VC
hex, I pulled out the win. 2-1

Round 4 "The Sawmill" (SP??) vs Jon Slotwindski
Jon and I live about 45 minutes apart, and while I've been over to his house a couple times for "SlotCon" he & I had never played. This was a great game with classic US vs German Action. The Germans setup onboard with 5 838's and 3 436 "Police" units (no PFs for them) and
a MTR. The US gets a bunch of 666's with the usual SWs plus 3 Shermans. My GI's entered cautiously being sure to stay 7 hexes away from the line of Germans. A platoon went into to gully, and a couple of units used AA. The Germans started their fighting withdrawl, with a couple of units breaking (and the 436 police distrupting). An HIP PSK
took out one Sherman, but it's next intended victim broke it. The US 60 took out the Germans 81mmMTR. Once Jon prevented me from taking
the VC building by turn 6 (immed victory for US), he headed for exit.
But the Shermans were able to get around him to prevent exiting en mass. On my last turn, I was already a point ahead and exited the Shermans and the Germans didn't have enough guys close to exit.
3-1

Round 4: "Husum Hotfoot" (SP96) vs Sam Tyson
Sam is another of my semi-regular VASL opponent's, but this was our first FTF game. My Canadians, with a couple of Comets and Wasp's
have to clear board 10 of all GO German units. Sam sets up entirely on
board 10 with dummies in S9 to look like the MTR. Didn't look quite right--especially when it didn't shoot at any units on turn 1. So I got careless on that side and he wound up taking out one Wasp with a MMG (Snakes on the TK DR!) and stunning the Carrier. It seemed like it was going to be "one of those games" for me, and then the winds of luck changed.
The German right flank buckled on turn 3. A 447 missed it's PF shot at
an OVR'ing Comet, and the real MTR crew in Z2 couldn't find a PF.
On turn 5, the Germans ambushed my Brits and ran for it, so on turn
6, I had track them down, use VBP freeze/sleaze to hold them, and
tackle them in CC. So in the last CCPh, I had to win or hold 4 melees.
Sure enough luck was with me for the win. 4-1

Round 6 "Blood Nose" (J83) vs John Staduck
John & I had played a few years ago at Summer Wars, so this was a rematch. His German/Romanian hoard took on my Russian defenders.
Being the last game of the weekend, it's pretty much a blur to me.
But around turn 3, my front started melting away and lost a bunch of units
to FTR. The German sniper got active taking out key positions, including the last ATG. My OBA was poorly used---should have been alot more aggressive. On the final turn though I thought I was sitting pretty when
I find out I miscounted the VC buildings---instead of one to spare, I'm one short. Oh well, had a great time anyway. 4-2

Other Events that were "must sees":
When MMP's ALS Raffle gave the choice of "Mystery Box A or B"--well,
Gary Trezza chose "B" and wound up with about 3 dozen copies of board 9.
Bret Hildebran and Steve Pleva (this year's winner) had a late night game
of "Urban Guerillas". I didn't catch the whole game, but was captivated for about 2 hours until I had to get some sleep. Steve had broken his 88 and the MA on the Panther, so was blocking one bridge with the Panther in Motion and the other with an 8-0. Bret just couldn't get the FT to take out
the Panther, and finally cranked it from behind after running a T34 through
it's hex. Then he tried an "Armored Assault Infantry Overrun" (even they were hitting the rulebook for this one)---it didn't work as the Russian infantry broke to DFF, but what a game!
I will definitely see you all next year!!!