Winter Camo and Air Support

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the +1 for Winter Camouflage apply to a Air Support Sighting TC? The TC is taken at 4 hexes from the initial target hex, doubled for Aerial range.

Does it apply to a Forgotten War TACP's DRM if the target hex is 8 or more hexes away?

(accidentally posted in thevPerrySez Forum)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Don't think so...

E3.712:
"...having Winter Camouflage receives a +1 LV Hindrance DRM when fired upon beyond eight hexes if Infantry ..."

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't think so...

E3.712:
"...having Winter Camouflage receives a +1 LV Hindrance DRM when fired upon beyond eight hexes if Infantry ..."
So then I guess Winter Camouflage DRM would apply to the target hexes of a Strafing run (4 hexes = 8 Aerial Range - E.5) and the first attack of a Point Attack. It would not apply to a Bomb attack.

Forgotten War introduces a new element of Air Support, the TACP, which directs fire from a unit on the map. W9.113 "Ground Support" gives -2 DRM to a Sighting TC that is "reduced by one if there is an applicable LOS/LV/DLV Hindrance along the TACP's LOS between its Location ... and that of the aircraft's target hex."

E3.712 Winter Camouflage "receives a +1 LV Hindrance when fired upon if Infantry..." Since Winter Camouflage is considered a LV Hindrance would it apply to the TACP DRM? If not I would again assume it would apply to the attack if at 8 hex Aerial Range, but if the LV Hindrance applies to the Sighting TC would it also apply to an attack at 8 hex Aerial Range?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So then I guess Winter Camouflage DRM would apply to the target hexes of a Strafing run (4 hexes = 8 Aerial Range - E.5) and the first attack of a Point Attack. It would not apply to a Bomb attack.
No, the hindrance applies at range "beyond eight hexes", i.e. nine or more hexes.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Oops, my mistake. Would the LV Hindrance apply to a TACP at 9 hexes or more?
Per W9.113, the -2 Sighting TC DRM "is reduced by one if there is any applicable LOS/LV/DLV Hindrance along the TACP's LOS between its Location (including such in the TACP's Location) and that of the aircraft's initial target hex." That would seem to exclude hindrances in the initial target hex (e.g. SMOKE, winter camo) as those hindrances are not between. SMOKE would be applied as a DRM to the aircraft directly, i.e. vs a target in SMOKE there would be the -2 DRM for the TACP and +N for the SMOKE. It doesn't look as if winter camo would apply to the Sighting TC, as it would not be "between" so it does not apply to the TACP DRM and it would not apply to the aircraft because the range is ≤ eight hexes. The TACP does not provide any modification to the actual attack, so again the winter camo DRM would not apply to the actual attack either.

JR