WinSPWAW v3.5 France vs Germany

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Demise of the EU/NATO (Background).
WWIII is already a week old. The European Union’s demise came unexpectedly. The Euro’s value declined rapidly after Chinese communist politician announced that the Chinese Yen would never be traded on the open market. This announcement sparked huge decent within the EU when it was discovered that France had signed specific trade agreements with China excluding the rest of the EU. Germany was hardest hit by this new agreement.

Hard core right wing elements from both sides began raids on the NW border of French and German communities in the area of Holtzwithr. At the same time China began amphibious operations in Taiwan simultaneously destroying American satellites.

Taking advantage of the instability in the EU and NATO’s dismemberment Iran launches a huge offensive into southern Afghanistan with Taliban elements operating similar to Russian partisan concentrating on the taking the city of Kabul. NATO forces are holding their own, without French and German forces who abandon Afghanistan to head back to their home countries.

WWIII has started in earnest.

Location: Holtzwithr, NE corner of France, Legion Brigade HQ, 3rd Mech Div.
Time: 2100hrs local, H-hour minus 9.

Lcol Jacques Dionne walks into the basement of the French home to give his orders group. He is the battle group commander for the up coming operation to dislodge German ground forces and push them back into Germany. At his disposal he will command 5 Mechanized Companies of French Foreign Legion infantry as well as a Legion Recce squadron and a Hussard Squadron.

Lcol Dionne stands in front of his commanders to begin his briefing; from left to right he confirms the presence of all his commanders. Major Dwayne Matheson #1 Recce squadron, Major William Bird #2 coy mech inf coy, Major Jim Mcloed #3 mech inf coy, Major Blake Ball #4 mech inf coy, Major Ronald Levreault #5 mech inf coy, Major Paul Suderman #6 mech inf coy and Major Steffen Knipple Hussard squadron commander #7 and Major Josh Gilbert IC of anti air elements.

Gentleman orders! Says Lcol Dionne.

Situation; German ground units have occupied Holtzwithr and the surrounding area. The units are mechanized infantry and armoured units. They have their best tanks in this area the Leopard 2A6 as well, (See link for specifics) <http://www.army-technology.com/projects/leopard/index.html> their morale is high.

Friendly units include our division with all its assets as well as Major Gilbert’s anti-air batteries. (See link for specifics) <http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/roland.htm> we also have two regiments of artillery on call as well as our LRM (See link for specifics) <http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/lrm.htm>

Attachments will includes a platoon of mechanized combat Engineers for all call signs except for you Major Knipple and Major Gilbert. Also for attachments all the mechanized infantry will get two Engineering tango call signs.

Our mission: to dislodge enemy forces from Holtzwithr and push them across the border.

Execution general outline, all call signs will be formed up from north to south facing East. Call signs 1,3 and 5 will be in the northern part. Call signs 1 will lead the attack in the north followed by 3 and 5. Major Matheson you will keep advancing until you have completed your mission or you have nothing left to advance with. Your unit is leading because you have armoured units as well as infantry. (See link for specific on the armour used by the recce squadron) <http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/amx-10.htm> Call sign 3 and 5 will be close behind to resume the assault.

On our southern flank Major Bird will be leading the assault with call sign 2. Same thing goes for you Major Bird, don’t stop until you have completed you mission or you have nothing left to advance with. Call signs 4 and 6 will be close behind to carry on the assault and consolidate gains. Major Knipple your call sign will be stretched along the entire front putting pressure on the enemy. It will be to take attention away from our northern and southern attack points.

Co-ordinating instructions, H-hour is 0600hrs local, make sure all your units are in their FUP’s prior to H-hour. The axis of advance will be 1600mils, due east. All the high ground has been pre-registered for the artillery. Also note we have a tactical wing of UAV's that will be going ahead of the start line at H-hour +10min.

Service and support will include normal front line ammo. We do have eight additional ammo vehicles for re-supply.

Command and signals; location of my HQ will be on the southern flank in and around call signs 2, 4 and 6. Our signals officer will give frequency to you after I am done.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turns 1-5

Turns 1-5

The AAR will be broken down into two parts, one fictitious that will account for the unit commanders and their sub units. If it happened in the game it will be written about. The other portion will be actual game play and logic I applied at the time.

Col Dionne sat in the back of his AMX 10 (See link for specifics) his call sign is 9 (CS 9) http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/amx-10p.htm command APC looking over maps and listening to the radios. It was now 0600hrs and his combat team began to move. He opened the hatch above him and stood up to see a clear blue sky. He was facing the direction of the enemy, as he looked over his left shoulder he could see one of the friendly UAV’s fly over head.

The German AA gunners saw them too and began to light up the sky to his front with tracers. He could hear the twin 35mm cannons of the Gerpard (See link for specifics) http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/gepard.htm begin tearing into the sky. German surface to air missiles also began to appear as smoke trails could be easily seen with the naked eye. It was unknown from this distance if they where accurate, because when they exploded by the target, the secondary explosion was not the same as if a combat aircraft was hit.

The French UAV’s began their reconnaissance of the German positions. A treasure trove of information began to travail back to division HQ in real time. The information was then sent to respective units in order to deal with German threats. Specific information was sent to specific commanders. The Fire Support Co-ordination Centre (FSCC) began assigning fire missions to specific artillery units giving them specific targets, enemy artillery units.

Major Matheson’s command vehicle is a VBL, (See link for specifics, picture below of Maj Matheson’s command vehicle) http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/vbl.htm the vehicle of choice for Recce HQ. It was small fast and armoured. His Reconnaissance French Foreign Legion Squadron is one of France’s most elite formations and today they where earning their reputation. Maj Matheson was not surprised when the Combat Team Commander assigned his unit to lead the attack. He had no choice he thought, all our heavy armour is tied up even farther north of here and he needed tanks with guns.

0605hrs Maj Matheson call sign 1 (CS1) northern attack force starts moving towards their axis of advance. Almost immediately he began getting contact reports. “One this is one-three contact report over,” says the Troop commander CS13. “Send over,” says Maj Matheson. One enemy vehicle destroyed, 4 enemies killed moving foreword, states the commander of CS13. “Roger out” says Maj Matheson. Matheson stood up in the hatch of his command vehicle for a better look. He could now see the smoke rising from the destroyed German vehicle, just beyond a tree line 500m to his front. (See link for details of enemy vehicle destroyed, picture below) http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/wolf.htm

Matheson was always in contact with Niner, Lcol Dionne one handset in each hand. One handset was for his call sign the other to Niner. As his armour and infantry advanced still mounted with orders only to dismount when enemy infantry was contacted.

Armour lead the assault, just one troop in extended line with another mechanized infantry platoon directly behind also in extended line as well. This tactic allowed for a narrow front to be assaulted. They are all one troop and platoon behind the other. All the vehicles are 150m apart to minimize casualties once the artillery begins to fall.

“One this is one three” we are dismounting enemy infantry to our front, receiving heavy fire” states the platoon commander of call sign 1-3. “Roger one three, out to you, one seven this is one. Move foreword to one three’s position and provide support, acknowledge over” Maj Matheson waits for the acknowledgement and gets it. Call sign one seven is his heavy tank asset. They are a pair of Leclerc tanks mounting 142mm guns.

Maj Matheson orders his driver to a hull down position inside a small depression in the ground to their front and begins to scan to his front surveying the battle. The noises are noises of a modern battlefield. Aircraft from both sides fighting for air superiority above. Small arms fire is now constant to his front. The heavy machine guns from the VAB’s can be heard distinctly because of the much lower rate of fire and louder bang when fired.

The enemy infantry in the wooded hills to his front are just as determined. Plumes of smoke from French armour began to rise as the modern day Panzerfaust began to take a heavy toll on CS 1.

0615hrs enemy artillery begins to fall on CS1. The artillery begins to cause casualties at once. Nothing is spared with modern munitions armour is destroyed as easily as men. A salvo from a battery of 155 lands 400m behind Maj Matheson forcing him to button up inside his vehicle. Shell splinters can be heard bouncing off the vehicle.

CS 2, Major Bird’s French Foreign Legion Mechanized infantry coy southern attack force has a formable task as well. Leading the southern pincer with only his coy and a platoon of mechanized combat engineers as well as two Leclercs fitted with a 142mm gun specially designed for close support attached to his company.

Nervousness was setting in for Maj Bird, he knows how vulnerable his APCs are to shoulder fired anti tank missiles. His command vehicle is France’s standard armoured personnel carrier (APC), the VAB. (See link for details and pictures of the 6 wheeled vehicle) http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/vab.htm The terrain CS 2 has to traverse is hilly and wooded, same as cs1.

CS 2 attack formation is the same as CS1. As CS 2 rolled foreword through the woods and up the first small hill contact report came in from CS 21, his lead platoon. The enemy infantry fired their Panzerfaust first taking out 2 of the 4 VAB’s in the lead platoon. (Picture of Pzf3)

The German Jaegers are excellent infantry, a formable foe for any opponent. The remainder of CS 21 dismounted, engaged the enemy and wait for reinforcements. Maj Bird orders CS 22 to dismount and move foreword on foot; the order is carried out immediately. CS two two arrives at two one’s location and lays down fire on the German Jaegers. The Jaegers are not done yet and destroy a third VAB with another PzF3 rocket.

Finally the added firepower from the second platoon begins to break and route the enemy infantry. Maj Bird could here the enemy artillery to his north and he knew that it would be their turn next so they had to move. The VABS from CS 21 and CS 22 began to outrun their infantry support firing point blank on routed enemy infantry. Maj Bird orders his remaining call signs to move north at the base of the hill and then turn east but CS 2 continued to run into enemy resistance and casualties start to mount. Finally Maj Bird calls foreword his combat engineer platoon to start blasting the Jaegers.

CS 2, Maj Matheson crew is now feeling the full effects of the enemy artillery. The enemy consider his northern pincer movement the greatest due to the heavy concentrations of artillery in his area. It was now raining steel from the German gunners in the form of 155mm, 105mm artillery and finally 120mm mortars. His command starts taking heavy casualties.

Adding to CS 2 demise, a pair of Leopard 2 A6’s that keeps shooting up his troops. The guns from his AMX-10 fire on the Leopard but to no effect the rounds bounce off. The Leopards hide behind the high ground, move up and then shoot and scoot back behind the high ground.

CS 7, Maj Knippel's Hussard Recce Squadron has numerous contact reports from this sub units and his command also begins to take casualties. His armour units the AMX-10 RC is equipped with the thermal imaging device that enables it to see through smoke and bring down effective fire on infantry.

I had 30K to buy my forces (French) against Fokko’s 25K (German).

Turns 1 through 5 pretty well went as expected. I knew casualties where going to be heavy for the two lead elements on either pincer. I was surprise at Fokko’s tactics by moving foreword towards me, I was expecting him to stay where he was and let me come to him. I thought that I had the first move because I was on the left hand side of the playing area but was wrong. I should have paid better attention.

My order of battle consist of:
5 French Foreign Legion Mechanized infantry companies.
2 Recce Squadrons with the AMX 10RC equipped with the 105mm gun, one squadrons has scout platoons with scouting vehicles. The other squadron has mechanized infantry attached.
My anti aircraft elements consisted of tracked Roland missile systems and wheeled armour AA guns 20mm.

The artillery I purchased was fairly typical. We agreed before hand that we could only purchase 3 or 4 artillery pieces with the special type AP ammo. This is our way of making the game more playable. We also agreed to limit our ammo type vehicles to eight. We also agreed that we where allowed to buy offboard artillery to two batteries. The reason for this is because all the map we play on are the 160x200. By only buying onboard units it forces you to protect your rear areas.

Strategy.

I purchased 7 UAV’s and pre-designated them to come on turn 3. I used six then because I knew I was going to loose at least half if not more. They proved very useful in finding a lot of enemy artillery position in which I plotted.

I found quite a bit of artillery with the UAV’s. I then target them and paid particular attention to the enemy ammunition vehicles. Being a 50 turn game getting rid of the ammo vehicles will help the battle long term.

I also purchase one battery off board to act as my counter battery fire and by turn 5 it started paying off.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
turn 6-10

Turns 6to10

Game comments:

After just playing the replay button for turn six I have just realized that I have made two more mistakes. I don’t have anything that can take out the Leo 2’s. I have Milan teams but they are not close enough. The 105’s on the AMX 10’s are totally inadequate for frontal shots. The Eryx systems are not close enough either they only have a range of 12 hexes.

The other mistake was not buying some missile systems mounted on vehicles. Turn six and I am getting my ass kicked. I have decided to bring all my Eryx system forward as well as all the machine gun teams.

Turn 8
I decided to reinforce CS 1 and CS 2 with the other mechanized companies behind them. I came to the conclusion that if CS 2 stayed and fought they would be decimated anyway so why not move foreword.

Maj Matheson found himself looking up at the sky until he could regain his senses. His command vehicle became immobilized in the small stream when near hits from enemy 105’s tore off both wheels on the driver’s side. He ordered his HQ element out of the vehicle, which included the company signaller and the Squadron Sergeant Major (SSM). Just has they where making their way up the stream another salvo from a battery of 105’s impacted around them killing the SSM. The concussion knocked Maj Matheson and his signaller to the ground temporarily disorientating both of them.

The commander of CS 1 and his signaller both stayed in the prone position expecting another salvo. Maj Matheson asked for the handset from his signaller and began the process of calling in a fire mission on the two Leopard 2 that are decimating his command. The request was made and he changed the frequency on the radio to his companies net. All his call signs began reporting the enemy infantry is not German but Dutch, Dutch Commando’s from a Special Force Brigade. Matheson made the report to Brigade HQ and then wondered what it all meant.

The Legionnaires of CS 1 began the brutal process of destroying the Dutch Commandos on the hill in front of them. The firepower from the guns of the AMX 10’s 105 guns fired point blank on the Dutch infantry and the Legionnaires close assaulted them destroying them in their place. A few more AMX 10’s where lost to Milan teams hiding in a tree line beyond the high ground.

Two minutes felt like two hours waiting for the friendly artillery to destroy anything on the other side of the small hill and the tree line beyond it. The 227mm rockets weighing 310kg each of the French LRM missile battery was merciless when impacting the ground. Plums of smoke can be seen rising from the hulks of enemy vehicles and moral lifted amounts the French Foreign Legionnaires renewed their attack.

“Roger out” says Maj Mcloed. “All call signs 3 this is 3 move now over,” says Maj Mcloed over his companies’ radio net (network). The acknowledgements come in from all his call signs. He just received orders from Niner stating to move now. All the call signs in the battle group began to move; the big push is on now. Also heard over the Brigade net, CS 5 Maj Levreault unit was hit by artillery and lost two VABS.

AA CS

Major Gilbert sat patiently waiting for targets to appear for his anti aircraft batteries. He was not disappointed when a lone enemy UAV appeared on their southern flank and was promptly shot down by the 20mm AAA that have been deployed along the entire front. The Roland system he wisely deployed further back to avoid any contact with enemy ground units.

Moments later a lone German attack helicopter appeared 3 km away. This ranch was ideal for the Roland anti air system and the missile flew out towards its target. The German helicopter pilot was either very lucky or very good because he was able to employ counter measure to ensure he was not shot down. As Maj Gilbert cursed the German pilot his vehicle was specifically targeted by enemy artillery probably spotted by the UAV they shot down.

The missiles and the launch system was completely destroyed by the enemy artillery but luckily Major Gilbert and his entire crew where shaken but not hurt. He orders his driver out of the area so as not to be targeted again. He immediately notifies the rest of his call sign and higher that his missile system is out of action. A few moments later the other Roland system is destroyed by artillery. Maj Gilbert now wonders how effective his AA umbrella will be for he knows there are enemy attack helicopters still lurking about.

Southern Attack Force

Maj Bird’s company was tied up clearing Jaegers of the woods but does manage to sneak by some of his VAB’s foreword without infantry support in the hopes of cutting off the enemies’ retreat. He also manages to bring up two more platoons of mechanized infantry over the hill across the road and began clearing the next hill. His Eryx teams managed to knock out two Fuchs 2 (see link for details) http://www.army-technology.com/projects/fuchs/ Maj Bird’s call sign is just finishing the mopping up of the Jaegers on the first this and is starting the second.

CS 2 does have its share of bad luck; the two support tanks attached to his unit get bogged in the mud and are out of the battle. Also discovered to his front a Leopard 2 it already destroyed one of his VABS. Maj Bird realizes his Eryx teams will have to move foreword ASAP to deal with the Leopards.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
turn 11-15

Turns 10 to 15

Things are moving along now. I did take heavy casualties with CS 1 but I expected that. I come to realize that my friend is movement. Once I stay put he just hits me with artillery and moves up his Leopards and begins to take me out. A trend I have noticed is when the German Leopards are close to infantry he runs away.
Turn 15
I am still taking looses but I find them acceptable. I have even capture two flags. In another two turns I should be running into his onboard artillery in the rear.

Maj Matheson sites on the hill with his signaller and realizes that today the war is over for him. His command is almost decimated with only two platoons of infantry left and two of his armoured cars immobilized in the rear just behind the objective. As he and his signaller site on their recently captured objective trying to organize his remaining company CS 3 (Maj McLeod’s call sign rolls by at a high speed). Then just minutes later CS 5 (Maj Levreault call sign continues by at an even higher speed).

Maj Mcloed dispersed his mech company according to the SOP’s that have been practiced over and over again. The route that he wanted his platoons to follow was a tree line along a field. Just then a Leopard that was hiding in the tree line almost a kilometre away begins the slaughter of his lead platoon. Two VABS are burning wreck with the status of the passengers unknown.

As Mcloed gives orders for his company to dismount from their VABs an enemy helicopter is seen moving towards them just over 1500m away. The AA gunners from all of McLeod’s call signs engage the helicopter and damage it. A smoke trail was seen on the PAH-2 (see link for details http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/tiger.htm).

Maj Levreault mech company makes good head way towards it’s first objective. As he and his company move towards it. The German gunner in the Leopards targets the company command vehicle. The extra antennas and a pair of large 6-sided dice painted on the front glacis plate one white and one black indicate this is the command vehicle.

Levreault didn’t hear the explosion that destroyed the VAB his was riding in but he felt the heat from the burning steel around him. Survival instincts took over for him and his company HQ element as they all made it out of the vehicle safely except for one casualty.

Southern attack area.

Maj Bird and Maj Suderman companies are now fighting house to house with the German invaders and are beginning to get the upper hand on their adversaries. While sitting in his command VAB Maj Suderman’s signaller said to him, “sir! Enemy infantry just 150m to our front”. Suderman give the order to dismount move in front of his VAB and begins firing on the enemy squad moving in the back yard between a pair of house. The command VAB also added its firepower and the enemy infantry simply retreated after taking at least 3 casualties.

Suderman and his company knew they had their work cut out for them. There are reports of at least two Leopards lurking around. That news came from Maj Bird when he reported to Niner that he lost two VABs in the town, to tanks covering the roads. This information told Suderman to enter the town dismounted.

CS 7 Maj Knipple was sitting in the commander’s hatch having a smoke and rolling a set of precision six sided dice in his hand, one white and one red. As he looked to his front monitoring radio traffic out to the corner of his left eye he could see an enemy recce jeep past his position only 400m away. Knipple orders the gunner over the internal intercom system, “enemy vehicle 8 o’clock to our rear engages!” The turret moves from the 12 o’clock position to the eight in lest then 3 seconds.

The gunner finds the target almost instantly and acquires it through his LLTV (Low Light television). The LLTV is also the gun site. The gunner confirms target locked on with computer analysis. “Locked on sir, permission to fire”? Ask the gunner. Knipple gives the order to fire. The enemy vehicle explodes in a ball of fire. The AMC 10 RC rocks back slightly from the recoil of the gun and sets again in the original position. Knipple gives his driver the order to move, “they know we are here now,” he tells his driver as he tries to light another cigarette while the vehicle is moving.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turns 16 to 20

Turns 16-20

I continue to move foreword with both my northern and southern pincer movements. The northern elements seem to be taking more casualties then the southern attack force but that was expected. I used up all my UAV’s but one. I am targeting his Leopard 2’s because I made the mistake of not buying any MBT that can defeat him with a frontal shot. I have about 8 AMC-10 RC left but I won’t bring them forward till I kill a few more Leopard 2’s. Not even halfway through the battle yet.
In the south I managed to immobilize one Leopard 2. Instead of trying to kill it I am just leaving it there. No sense wasting my Apilas anti tank capability on that tank.

I still have not had an opportunity to use my Milan teams to their full extend and the Eryx teams have not taken out any tanks yet just APC. I am finding my LRM (French version of the multiple rocket launcher system) with its bomblets are accounting for a lot of damage. Most of those systems have 5 kills recorded with one up to eleven. The other interesting fact is they only have six rockets.

Given first thought, six rockets don’t sound like a lot of ammo. But consider that the six rockets can usually be fired in one or two turn at most with the bomblets a devastating effect on infantry and light vehicles. The reload time is only two turns. I find that after they spent their load, move away from firing position and load them up again.

I am hoping Fokko never purchased any fast air. My only two tracked anti air systems are both damaged. I can drive them around but that is about it. All I have left for my AA element is one Stinger team and some light trucks mounting some 20 mm AA guns. I only saw one Attack helo at a time and I know I damaged it.

Col Dionne cursed his driver for getting his command APC stuck in the mud. His HQ element is now going by foot towards the southern edge of the town where he has three of his call signs in house to house fighting. The enemy artillery is coming into the town now a constant rate. The guns of the Leopards can be heard as well.

Location 400m east of Maj Knipple
The Jaegers prepared the Milan III anti tank guided missile system for firing. From their prone position on top of knoll in a slightly wooded area they witnessed the destruction of their comrades inside the reconnaissance vehicle. The enemy vehicle was obviously a command vehicle as evident by the antenna’s protruding from it.

The Jaegers Milan III armed with a tandem warhead with jam-resistant pulsed-beacon infrared guidance as well as a thermal imaging sight knew what the final outcome would be.

Maj Knipple resumed his command functions notifying Niner that there may be enemy lurking about in their rear area. Looking east Knipple was startle by a launch of an enemy missile. “Smoke!! Orders Knipple. The smoke is in the form of VIRSS (visual and infrared smoke screen system). The launchers immediately fire the smoke and the driver puts the transmission in drive to try and evade the missile. Unfortunately for Maj Knipple it was to no avail. The missile heading towards his vehicle is one of the most advanced in the world with a thermal sight this particular type of smoke would not create the hindrances require to elude the missile. Less than 4 seconds after the missile was launched, Maj Knipple, his crew and where all killed instantly.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems to be working now. If it changes I am not going back to my old 15" moniter.
Not sure what settings you are using but I have my 17" widescreen laptop set to 1440x900, then I just run WinSP at 1600x1280 or higher. This fills the full screen without any distortion and allos you to do other things if necessary without alt-tabbing. You'll also want to make sure you do not have the Task bar on auto-hide, this will mess things up.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The battle is over now and we where very close in points. I did not purchase any MBT and in hindsight I realize that was a mistake. I wanted to test my theory of quantity vs. quality.

I think I did fairly well without any MBT but I forgot I was playing Fokko. His aggressiveness surprised me and actually through me off. I left my middle wide open because I did not expect him to attack when he was supposed to be defending. I also bough hardly any Milan teams.

When I realized he was coming up the middle towards all my artillery assets way at the back I loaded up my only two Milan teams in APC’s and drove them back. I also had about a half a dozen AMX-10 RC, the ones with the 105mm guns.

I soon was able to see how many AMX-10 RC’s it takes to take out a Leopard II. The answer is not two, I made the mistake of moving adjacent to one with one in the front and one at it’s rear hoping to get a rear shot with at least one of the and lost them both.

The next time I had five AMX-10 RC’s completely surrounding a Leo 2. I did not destroy it but forced its crew to abandon it and then killed the crew.

Near the end I got a Leo 2 with a rear shot and my Milan team got the other. I also purchase some of those Engineering tanks with the 142mm gun but got most of them stuck in mud. I thought they would have been good on the attack but never really got a chance to use them.