Windows 8 compatability?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Win 8 here and no problems so far, except for trying to get used to win 8.
Quick update, I actually do have problems, no US troops show up and certain German vehicles, mostly Panthers are invisible too.

You can track the US infantry though as all of their weapons still show up floating in the air.

As long as I stick to Brits Vs Brits I have no worries!

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick update, I actually do have problems, no US troops show up and certain German vehicles, mostly Panthers are invisible too.

You can track the US infantry though as all of their weapons still show up floating in the air.

As long as I stick to Brits Vs Brits I have no worries!

Hee hee. That sounds pretty funny. For a laugh can you post a screen shot of the floating guns?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like you got the France 1940 module there :D

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the benefit of using Win 8 on laptops? Isn't it meant for really mobile computing like phones and tablets?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What is the benefit of using Win 8 on laptops? Isn't it meant for really mobile computing like phones and tablets?
Dunno, but once you get over the initial shock, it's pretty nifty on a desktop. I am impressed by little things like explorer filling the whole page and app pining. Does take a couple of days to get used to though.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bought a cheap laptop for the cafe on a whim last week. Just got the cheapest one Sam's Club had. It has Windows 8. I hadn't planned on playing CMBN on it because I assumed it wouldn't be enough computer. Turns out that it plays fine. Actually loads PBEM files faster than my desktop. Someone will probably ask me "well, what's the hardware on the thing?" and ya know what.... I have no idea. :) First computer I've ever used that I never bothered to find out even how much HD space it has. I think the graphics card is Radeon or something like that. And the processor is an AMD. Beyond that I haven't a clue.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Beyond that I haven't a clue.
A clue...

[ TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS - PC ]

System Requirements MINIMUM:

Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Processor: Pentium IV 1.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor
Video Card: GeForce 5200 or Radeon 9200 (32 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
System Memory: 256 Megabytes RAM
Hard Drive Space: 3.5 Gigabyte
Other Requirements: CD Drive (not needed for download version)
The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)

System Requirements SUGGESTED:
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Processor: Pentium IV 2.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better
Video Card: GeForce 6800 or Radeon x850 (256 Megabyte VRAM or better and must support 1024x768 or higher resolution) in OpenGL
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
System Memory: 1 Gigabyte or more RAM
Hard Drive Space: 4 Gigabyte
Other Requirements: CD Drive (not needed for download version, but recommended for backup)
The game does not work in a virtualized environment (virtual machine)

I believe the windows 8 requirements are lower than window 7, so that isn't an issue either.

While it seems remarkable that you can walk into any store and buy the latest/cheapest Windows 8 machine and CM works just fine, the real factor is that the program is not being written for the average machine that is sold today. Nor the cheapest either. Use of multi-core CPU's and other issues are an example.

I have run the game on my old '06 Gateway fine. It's a PentD 3.0 GHz, WinXP, 32 bit , 4 GB DDR2, SataII HD with a low buck 1 GB Nvidia. I installed Win7 and it also ran fine for awhile but started in with the error mode.

I have Win8 (32 bit) running on my 'junkyard dog' PC in the basement. A better system based around a higher end dual core and uses DDR3 memory (4GB) and a better 1GB DDR3 vid card. This runs fine and maybe too fast since getting down to ground level is touchy. But, again, it's old hardware running Win8.

So, I don't really see the wonder in your post. To me, it actually is highlighting that the game is behind the times as far as common hardware. I deal with many people tossing all kinds of equipment in my business. Much of the stuff is best sold as scrap to the 'gold-rats'.

While it probably is too soon to write games for 64-bit operating systems, it is certainly past the times where "Pentium IV 2.8 GHz or equivalent speed AMD processor or better" is the suggested" (single core?) is the hardware that many people have. That is a crappy office system in my opinion that would be seen in a workplace.

As far as operating systems for the PC, this may be a golden time. That is, Win7 and Win8 will probably mature to be the next 'XP' standard. maybe a window of a few years at least where games can be developed without a Gates melt-down.

I have removed all XP systems from my house and all 'live' PCs are running win7 and win8. I have seen win8 crash dumps on the 32-bit system with the demo. I have not installed CM on the win8 64 bit notebook yet or the wife's win7 64 bit notebook.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I meant I didn't have a clue about what the rest of the hardware is on my new computer.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh? Obviously your computer runs faster if you understand how it works.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Uh? Obviously your computer runs faster if you understand how it works.
Windows 8 system requirements
If you want to run Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
To use many Win8 features, it takes more.

And, to understand how fast your computer is, takes very little computer savvy at all. Not sure, again, exactly what Redwolf means. But logically, operating systems have minumum requirements, software run on those operating systems have minumum requirements, and most PCs, even refurb specials, can handle CM.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure, again, exactly what Redwolf means.
I was joking. Your computers run at the same speed whether you understand it or not :) Except that in practice the stupid thing often runs better for those who do.

It is an old AI Koan
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/dae/notes/ai-koans

Code:
  A novice was trying to fix a broken lisp machine by turning the
power off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing spoke
sternly- "You can not fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no
understanding of what is going wrong."
  Knight turned the machine off and on.
  The machine worked.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I was joking
Yeah, I figured just soften the blow on Elphus by jabbing you.

Panzer Command certainly uses multi-core CPU tech and it shows in the loading of programs.

But I am kind of wondering about a game that has 'real-time' and 'turn-based' play and has one requirement as far as hardware. It just seems that the limiting reactant would be the realtime crap.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Are you sure it was Sam's Club and not Costco? Do you have any co-workers that might know anything about computers that might help you identify what you bought?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure it was Sam's Club and not Costco? Do you have any co-workers that might know anything about computers that might help you identify what you bought?
I'm no expert on computers but I know enough to find what the thing has. It's just the first computer I've even owned that I didn't care.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I'm no expert on computers but I know enough to find what the thing has. It's just the first computer I've even owned that I didn't care.
One wouldn't have to be an expert. Go to Settings, Control Panel, then click 'Performance Information and Tools'. 'View and Print Detailed Performance and System Information' will help you view and print detailed performance and system information. Same as Win7. Almost.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One wouldn't have to be an expert. Go to Settings, Control Panel, then click 'Performance Information and Tools'. 'View and Print Detailed Performance and System Information' will help you view and print detailed performance and system information. Same as Win7. Almost.
Like I said, I know enough to find out...if I cared. But thanks anyway.