Windows 8 compatability?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Demo doesn't seem to work in Win 8?
I don't know about the demo but people are running the games on Win8. I saw someone is having a problem but looks like it is more an issue with his graphic card/Win8 and CM. Reports are that nVidia people aren't having a problem......other than relicencing....but I guess we already have a thread for that.

junk2drive

Reaction score
I installed CMSF on W8 and it errors for OpenGL drivers. I have an ATI HD4200 which I understand is no longer supported. A check for drivers shows none for W8. There are W8 drivers for higher level cards.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I installed CMSF on W8 and it errors for OpenGL drivers. I have an ATI HD4200 which I understand is no longer supported. A check for drivers shows none for W8. There are W8 drivers for higher level cards.
The guy I saw on the BFC forum that has a problem has an ATI card as well.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I have a GeForce vid card. I DL'd the latest drivers. I reinstalled the demo but I still get a 'error:Errorcode' message when trying to start the game.

I can still play on the old winXP machine.

junk2drive

Reaction score
I found a page at AMD for legacy drivers for the older cards and W8. Installed that and CMSF is now working fine.

This is a budget Sempron 2.7 single core, 4g DDR2 ram with 3.2 available in Win 32 bit, onboard graphics set to 512mb shared.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I found a page at AMD for legacy drivers for the older cards and W8. Installed that and CMSF is now working fine.

This is a budget Sempron 2.7 single core, 4g DDR2 ram with 3.2 available in Win 32 bit, onboard graphics set to 512mb shared.
Did you get CMFI running? Did you have to use some compatability mode for CM with Win8? I tried all the usual stuff and it just doesn't work. Thing is, I don't know what is causing it. I don't get any info like 'Get Open GL drivers' or such. It just says contact the vendor.

I have the W8 upgrade from XP (32 bit). I have yet to try PCO with Win8.

junk2drive

Reaction score
I haven't tried CMFI

I got PCO running but had to go to Microsoft and download .Net 1.1 and install that after.

I also have the 32 bit upgrade from XP.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a GeForce vid card. I DL'd the latest drivers. I reinstalled the demo but I still get a 'error:Errorcode' message when trying to start the game.

I can still play on the old winXP machine.
That is BFC's non-error message for you not having registered your game with a license.

Outrageous in itself that they can't even get the error message right.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
That is BFC's non-error message for you not having registered your game with a license.

Outrageous in itself that they can't even get the error message right.
It's the demo. How can that be?

I see Win8 already has updates etc. I will give it a chance but if more software has issues, I won't be buying this for my other XP or Vista PCs.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the demo. How can that be?

I see Win8 already has updates etc. I will give it a chance but if more software has issues, I won't be buying this for my other XP or Vista PCs.
Well, obviously displaying the actual error code is broken. So maybe you had a different code but obviously the message stays the same.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe BF needs a QC manager
I think that software quality is generally very good at BFC (mortar or MG modeling isn't software quality in this sense). But this crazy DRM thing is certainly an exception.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
In any case, Windows 8 is having major problems. I call it the new Windows 98. Avoid it for now.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
And enable USB3.0...and make sure you lock your hard drives

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Win 8 here and no problems so far, except for trying to get used to win 8.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The good thing is that they will reimburse your money for the upgrade 'deal'. It takes 14 business days though.

Update: I had a hell of a time with Avast issues, SSD problems, USB3.0 driver, Wireless driver problems, Hyper-V disaster, Bitlocker oddness and finally the PC would only boot to 'repair' which was a closed loop affair that did not work and kept rebooting my PC. MS gave up after an hour+ on the phone and said they would refund my money. A manager there said they would give me Windows 7 to install so that I could migrate to Windows 8 (and pay for 8). Seems that Windows XP upgrades are not working for everyone.

I re-installed Windows XP and getting the Win8 off the drives required deleting partitions and full Format. This was only possible by using another PC to do this. Otherwise, my drives would have been scrogged.

Last edited: