Wind Change DR Automated

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey VASL wizards. My cousin Chuck Hammond has an article in the latest HazMo newsletter about Wind Changes and got me thinking. When I solo on VASL I always forget this.

Can the DR be made automatically when the Phase Change Marker is turned to the Rally Phase?

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I tend to doubt it.

Where in VASL does it matter just what phase of a turn you are on? VASL would need to know that to know when to roll for wind. It has no way to know that unless you somehow remember to tell it, then you may as well just roll it yourself. Adding the smarts/structure to VASL needed to make that happen ratchets up the complexity of the system way beyond the point of diminishing returns.

It is nothing more or less than electronic cardboard. Anything you can get wrong playing with cardboard can be gotten wrong on VASL .

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Don't really care.
You should. Sequence is often important.

For example: suppose that you have craftily managed to lay a bunch of dispersed SMOKE down in front of an otherwise open area where you plan to bring on your reinforcements. Without the SMOKE those units are at real risk.

If you roll the Wind Change before you set up the reinforcements (which is contrary to the ASOP) and roll "Gusts", suddenly all that SMOKE is gone. "Whoops", you say to yourself, "I better set those guys up SOMEWHERE ELSE!!".

The game actually requires that you set up the reinforcements first, and then roll for Wind Change. So if you do roll Gusts, well, life's hard and you just have to take what's coming.

If you're not following the ASOP, you're playing the game wrong.

So ... having VASL auto-roll the Wind Change DR when you adjust the Phase Wheel is contrary to the rules and therefore a Bad Idea.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should. Sequence is often important.

For example: suppose that you have craftily managed to lay a bunch of dispersed SMOKE down in front of an otherwise open area where you plan to bring on your reinforcements. Without the SMOKE those units are at real risk.

If you roll the Wind Change before you set up the reinforcements (which is contrary to the ASOP) and roll "Gusts", suddenly all that SMOKE is gone. "Whoops", you say to yourself, "I better set those guys up SOMEWHERE ELSE!!".

The game actually requires that you set up the reinforcements first, and then roll for Wind Change. So if you do roll Gusts, well, life's hard and you just have to take what's coming.

If you're not following the ASOP, you're playing the game wrong.

So ... having VASL auto-roll the Wind Change DR when you adjust the Phase Wheel is contrary to the rules and therefore a Bad Idea.
Meh. I'll take my chances of that situation ever happening.