Wind change and smoke

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In a scenario where there is no wind some vehicle blazes exist.

The next turn a mild breeze is rolled - is drifting smoke immediately placed or is it only placed in the AFPh of that turn and thereafter?

Is the 'games first rally phase' mentioned in A24.61 also taken to be the first rally phase of the game "during which wind is present"?

We are guessing probably not but want to check.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The next turn a mild breeze is rolled - is drifting smoke immediately placed or is it only placed in the AFPh of that turn and thereafter?
It is placed at the start of the AFPh per ASOPr step 5.11B

Is the 'games first rally phase' mentioned in A24.61 also taken to be the first rally phase of the game "during which wind is present"?
No, it's only the turn 1 first RPh so that drifting smoke is present when the game begins. Having said that, I don't see the drifting smoke set up as part of the ASOP. Still, I think the intent is clear that it's the first RPh of the game.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, I dont have a ASOP handy. But, IF the SSR says mild breeze is in effect BEFORE the start of play, then drift would be placed before the first dr/DR of the game ie setup

And according to A24.61, says as you quoted above the "Wind is present" then No problems. But if the DR brings up mild breeze, The Wind WASN'T already present. So I have always taken it that there will be a drift from the original source during the AFPh as it was't already there. But HAPPENED during the actual turn. Just the same as if during Prep someone fires off some smoke/wp. Drift from them would occur during AFPh.

Hope this helps

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would have preferred that the adjustment takes place immediately. The attacker knows ("Weather underground?") that the wind will pick up speed later and can place SMOKE in his Prep/ use SD in Mph optimally.