Will You Respect Counter (W)Hoarders The Morning After??

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Note that the attempt at "Helvitica" (instead of "Helvetica") results in a serif font being displayed in my browser because of the misspelling and font fallback in firefox. Your browser will substitute some other font for a font it doesn't know or doesn't have. Mine will substitute a sans-serif font for "Helvetica" (which is not installed but it recognizes) and a serif font for "Helvitica" (which it doesn't know and doesn't recognize). Depending on the character it may substitute a "tofu" character (often an empty square box or a square box with a unicode number inside) instead; it is all up to the implementation of the browser. Apparently a serif font is the ultimate fall back for mine. Yours may be different.

Also note that "6" in the size is not six point. It is one of a relative scale used in html from 1-7, with 7 being the largest and 3 being the default (https://www.w3schools.com/TagS/att_font_size.asp).

JR

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I misspelled it in the text but I don't think I did in the font name because I can see it either way. But I have it installed on my computer. I didn't realize that not everybody could see it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yeah, I misspelled it in the text but I don't think I did in the font name because I can see it either way. But I have it installed on my computer. I didn't realize that not everybody could see it.
You had it misspelled in the font as well. When I look at this post (http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/will-you-respect-counter-w-hoarders-the-morning-after.135477/#post-1892816) I see a serif font. What you saw was probably your browser was your default font. The following text has a non-existent font, which should fall back to your browser's default:

font=xyqzrsty

This is what it looks like on my machine in firefox:

default font.png

These may or may not be the same on your machine.

JR

Last edited:

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, I see the font xyqzrsty which I currently have installed.

61Davedumbass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I'm impressed with the knowledge shown here. I've never been much for learning things regarding graphics, I was always a 'photocopy-cut & paste' guy. I've had my PC now for five years, but I've never attempted to use any graphics art software to do any counter artwork. I always relied on pencil & pen, white-out & photocopier to make my drawings into something I could turn into a counter. For ages (well, going back to the early 90s), I would make use of the 'Counter Reference Charts' and the left-hand margin artwork on the Scenario Cards for benchmark standards to compare/contrast my drawings. It was always a slow, gradual labor to come up with a design that looked like it could 'blend-in' with the regular playing pieces, and yet not stand out to the point where your opponent notices & aims a 36-FP attack at it (it has happened...).
One thing I did this past weekend was to look over the 'Nationality Colors' Chart that the Texas ASL folks made. As best as I can tell, there can be as many as three different color shades per nationality NOT counting the VASL color listings (which I know are just for the computer screen, even though I don't have it on my PC). The only matches I noted that fitted all the listed categories (Pantone Value, HTML Value, RGB Value, CMYK Value) were the British, Russian '124', Russian '457', and Japanese nationality colors. The CMYK Value listings for many of the colors did NOT match with the other three listings. I am curious as to why these discrepancies exist on this chart, since this seems to be held as a solid frame of reference (not bangin' on the Texas ASLers, just askin'...). I just don't feel like putting the work into making Lavender Germans...

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice try but you ain't dumb, that's for sure. I'll be watching you..

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not there Scott, kinda bummed. Thanks for asking buddy.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, I'm bummed too, I wanted to go but I just could not pull it off this year. If you ever want to drive into Chicago for a day of playing a couple of scenarios from AP 13 or FrF let me know.

Not there Scott, kinda bummed. Thanks for asking buddy.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought that Ariel was an almost clone of Helvetica, created originally so IBM did not have to pay license fees for using Helvetica. Microsoft Sans Serif is a similar almost clone of Helvetica.

I would happily use Ariel.
Arial Narrow is what I use on BFP's counters.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Better
Do you guys think the Texas ASL group would mind if I updated their Color Chart to correct the info that's listed there?? It's minor, but I'd rather ask first.
Better to contact Rick and get your own colour charts posted in their download section that way no toes trodden on for charts done by others!

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better

Better to contact Rick and get your own colour charts posted in their download section that way no toes trodden on for charts done by others!
Get in touch with me at ctasl at aol dot com and send me your info. I'll get it put up on the Texas ASL website.