Will You Respect Counter (W)Hoarders The Morning After??

61Davedumbass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all, I've been here before. Here's a first, though, I'm sure.
I'm Dave, and I'm a Counter (W)hoarder. I can't explain why, but I like counters. I try to design my own 'Personal SMCs' using the Scenario Card margin artwork. Thing is, what do I use for the exact colors for the nationalities, as well as the graphics used for their names & ranks, Morale, & Leadership Modifiers?? I've seen a lot of custom avatars for people here that resemble SMCs, and I wondered how they do it.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The answer to your technical question is: I can't help you.

The answer to your title question is: no;
although I used to try and be a 'completist' years ago, I soon realised that I would never be able to play all the ASL purchases that I already had in my lifetime (now I just pick & choose my new ASL stuff). If I turned into counter (W)hoarder, I would have to turn to the dark side and buy the new release CH stock, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself!

61Davedumbass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The answer to your technical question is: I can't help you.

The answer to your title question is: no;
although I used to try and be a 'completist' years ago, I soon realised that I would never be able to play all the ASL purchases that I already had in my lifetime (now I just pick & choose my new ASL stuff). If I turned into counter (W)hoarder, I would have to turn to the dark side and buy the new release CH stock, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself!
Hey, that's honesty I can appreciate...

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Holy crap, that's excellent (Part 2)! Are these fonts pretty easy to upload, or do they require certain programs on the computer? Thank you!
That's not a file to download with fonts, it's simply a guide to which font is what on the counter. If you have a computer made in the last 20 years, all the fonts you need should be included.

61Davedumbass

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's not a file to download with fonts, it's simply a guide to which font is what on the counter. If you have a computer made in the last 20 years, all the fonts you need should be included.
Right, I get that it's not a file like that. I used to think you needed to purchase certain 'printer-type' fonts like Helvetica for your PC (I've owned mine for 4 years now, still figuring out its abilities...)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assume that any photo type editor, Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, are all going to have access to many hundreds of fonts as part of their normal installation.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, you can even do it on the forum.

Helvetica

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I'm the anti hoarder. I only punch what I use.

I have boxes and boxes of unpunched AOO, WOA, CdG, BV1, BV3, Yanks 2, etc counters sitting in their module boxes waiting to be punched 'if' they are used in a scenario. Many have been there for years and years.

Don't know why counters need to be hoarded when they aren't being used?

It's like buying boxes and boxes of condoms every week when you're married. Sorry, but they ain't gonna get used. ;)

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I'm the anti hoarder. I only punch what I use.

I have boxes and boxes of unpunched AOO, WOA, CdG, BV1, BV3, Yanks 2, etc counters sitting in their module boxes waiting to be punched 'if' they are used in a scenario. Many have been there for years and years.

Don't know why counters need to be hoarded when they aren't being used?

It's like buying boxes and boxes of condoms every week when you're married. Sorry, but they ain't gonna get used. ;)
Yep. One of the best ASL lessons I learned from you Rob. Saved me countless hours of rearranging counter trays. More power to you if that's your bailiwick but i barely have time for ASL anymore in my life. The less time I'm fussing with gear, the better. Need that precious time to play.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Yep. One of the best ASL lessons I learned from you Rob. Saved me countless hours of rearranging counter trays. More power to you if that's your bailiwick but i barely have time for ASL anymore in my life. The less time I'm fussing with gear, the better. Need that precious time to play.
But, but, but... We boughts them, Precious! We opened its boxes!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I thought that Ariel was an almost clone of Helvetica, created originally so IBM did not have to pay license fees for using Helvetica. Microsoft Sans Serif is a similar almost clone of Helvetica.

I would happily use Ariel.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unless you want to use Helvetica, which still doesn't ship with Microsoft products.
I guess since I've always owned a full suite of Adobe products for the last 20 years I've never noticed. But you're right, it's doesn't ship with Microsoft products.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I thought that Ariel was an almost clone of Helvetica, created originally so IBM did not have to pay license fees for using Helvetica. Microsoft Sans Serif is a similar almost clone of Helvetica.
Is an "almost clone" like being almost pregnant? :)

I would happily use Ariel.
Arial (you're thinking of the cartoon mermaid, which puts your comment into a disturbing new realm) is close, but not the same.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Is an "almost clone" like being almost pregnant? :)
Yup, just uses a few slightly different strokes to get the same effect.
Arial (you're thinking of the cartoon mermaid, which puts your comment into a disturbing new realm) is close, but not the same.
I was actually thinking of something a lot older: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_(The_Tempest).

My spelling is atrocious and if the spelling checker does not catch something or suggests a better alternative, you see the results.