Will the cost of suitable venues hasten the demise of ftf events?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seem to remember that the Middleburg Heights location gave Mark the meeting room for free as long as enough rooms were booked.
I can't remember when Mark quit running ASLOK, but wasn't it close to 20 years ago? And few smaller regional tournament could get that deal even then. I'd be shocked if ASLOK could get that deal today unless room rates were so high most players would not book at the venue. And if you don't fill the contractually agreed number of rooms, you are on the hook for the room. When I was tentatively looking for another venue ~7 years ago game rooms were $1000 PER DAY in Raleigh, NC.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seem to remember that the Middleburg Heights location gave Mark the meeting room for free as long as enough rooms were booked.
Like I supposed above, I think this is the right way to go: dangle the carrot of lots of rooms sold in an off-season for the hotel, and they likely will give up the meeting space for free?

[IDK but suspect a "charitable cause" nod helps too -- because MMP gives some to the WWII Foundation for their Winter Offensive event -- I'm =speculating= that lets the hotel assign a charitable deduction too for their normal but foregone meeting hall rent (donation at FMV of a venue for a charity event)? Likely so (in the USA, anyway -- can't speak for how other tax districts operate). This hint is =not= professional tax advice, but might be a sweetener for a hesitant hotelier?]

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Only 12 rooms, but if they were all booked for a tourney, perhaps the owners would agree to make the dining room the games room.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I can't remember when Mark quit running ASLOK, but wasn't it close to 20 years ago? And few smaller regional tournament could get that deal even then. I'd be shocked if ASLOK could get that deal today unless room rates were so high most players would not book at the venue. And if you don't fill the contractually agreed number of rooms, you are on the hook for the room. When I was tentatively looking for another venue ~7 years ago game rooms were $1000 PER DAY in Raleigh, NC.
Mark had Oktoberfest foisted on him in '95 and ran ASLOk from '96 for nine years.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Only 12 rooms, but if they were all booked for a tourney, perhaps the owners would agree to make the dining room the games room.
We used the dining room and kitchen at the Brookpark Quality Inn but their restaurant was shut down.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
From my limited viewpoint having only attended ASLOK once and UK tournaments, I prefer the set up of the UK ones, but they are much smaller.
There we take overa small, slightly out of the way hotel, eat and dring together much more so that appeared to be the case at ASLOK.
I think, because we take over the hotel right at the end and before the start of the season, we get a decent deal.
Pete and Simon are only chargeing 15-20 quid for teh weekend, which is too low for the work they put in.
I'd consider the cost of seeing a decent film at the cinema per day to be a reasonable charge. This would increase costs of entry substantially but I think it is justified.
Placing the tournament at a smaller venue, as long as there are food options nearby is viable. If I'm flhying in then the taxi cost is factored into my ability to attend. If I'm driving then proximinty to an airport is irrelevant. Most tournaments will have players willing to provide transport.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Community centers are cheap...
Maybe have a designated driver for those that can't stay sober for the drive a couple of blocks.

rtroha

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've used VFW halls for motorcycle gatherings. It's been a while though (many years). The price seemed very fair, and some of them will even provide a buffet style meal in the fee.
Huh, Nice. As a matter of fact there is a Ramada almost next door to an American Legion hall. Only one restaurant within walking distance. Only two miles from the Cleveland airport.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
  • TWCBNoGS had a huge impact on F2F tournaments and we are still dealing with the repercussions.
I’m not clever enough to figure out that abbreviation and Google turned up nothing. But apparently whatever it is, is very important. A little help?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
That Which Cannot Be Named on GameSquad.
Either me or COVID, probably COVID.
Lol! Got it, thanks!

Yes, I’ve got to expect that has still impacted a lot of FtF tournaments and still will take time to sort out. Quite possibly will never go back to exactly as before for many people. I know after being forced to eat at home for months that I now eat out a very small fraction of the time compared to “before” simply because I’ve discovered I actually prefer eating at home more. Quite possibly some folks have discovered they actually prefer VASL tournaments after being forced to try them.

And related to the OP it has also greatly affected hotels and such, so that might also be impacting pricing for events due to the shake ups in the hospitality industry.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
come to Museum fest in Michigan, cozy and just a small (or large) donation to the museum for hosting. See PJ Norton for details.