Will Iraq war kill Rumsfeld's dreams?

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everybody,

Since everybody here know that Rumsfeld always had a novel dream of creating a lighter military force with the same level of lethal combat power carried by heavier forces.

I recall a firestorm over Rumsfeld's aspirations in redesigning the US Navy by abolishing the current aircraft carriers even with one currently under construction, and creating a smaller aircraft carrier with 20 or less warplanes. Now, there was a real political war if I ever saw one!

As best I can remember, Rumsfeld lost out simply because the admirals carried too much political ammo.

Now, my question, will this Iraqi Freedom Operation kill Rumsfeld once for all? I mean politically, of course. I think in a few hours of intense fighting, Rumsfeld saw his dreams shattered by the reality.

"Flowing deployments" now look like a bad joke, which it is. Rumsfeld originally called for a rolling war with deployments pouring in week after week. Obviously, I feel it was mishandled badly.

Will this mean that we go back to the old Cold War mentality where we deploy the forces and build up to a suitable number of troops to launch our operations rather than trying to hit an enemy with a far lighter force than originally intended?

Dan

kid kool

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Cheetah772
Hello everybody,

Since everybody here know that Rumsfeld always had a novel dream of creating a lighter military force with the same level of lethal combat power carried by heavier forces.

I recall a firestorm over Rumsfeld's aspirations in redesigning the US Navy by abolishing the current aircraft carriers even with one currently under construction, and creating a smaller aircraft carrier with 20 or less warplanes. Now, there was a real political war if I ever saw one!

As best I can remember, Rumsfeld lost out simply because the admirals carried too much political ammo.

Now, my question, will this Iraqi Freedom Operation kill Rumsfeld once for all? I mean politically, of course. I think in a few hours of intense fighting, Rumsfeld saw his dreams shattered by the reality.

"Flowing deployments" now look like a bad joke, which it is. Rumsfeld originally called for a rolling war with deployments pouring in week after week. Obviously, I feel it was mishandled badly.

Will this mean that we go back to the old Cold War mentality where we deploy the forces and build up to a suitable number of troops to launch our operations rather than trying to hit an enemy with a far lighter force than originally intended?

Dan
The Wall Street Journal said in an editorial on Tuesday:

"An unbending rule of Washington life is that the one thing critics can never forgive you for is being right. This is worth keeping in mind amid the obloquy now being heaped on Donald Rumsfeld. Judging by all of the blind-quote vituperation the Secretary of Defense is receiving, a casual reader might be surprised to learn that we haven't yet lost the Iraq war. U.S. troops are within 50 miles of Baghdad, probing Republican Guard lines that are being shredded from the air.

"The surrounded enemy has suicide bombers, guerrilla harassment and Peter Arnett left as an offensive strategy. We can hit the enemy, he can't much hit us. Yet Mr. Rumsfeld is being assailed for having given the 'bum advice' to President Bush that has brought our troops this far this fast. The main substantive accusation seems to be that Mr. Rumsfeld forced the military chiefs to come up with a war plan that did more than repeat the 500,000-man deployment and strategy of the Gulf War.

"This has offended some of the armchair generals who are claiming through the fog of television that we should have had more troops on the ground. ... Mr. Rumsfeld is a payback target now precisely because he bucked the military status quo. ... All in all the Rumsfeld war plan seems to be succeeding very well. Angered by Saddam's criminal tactics, and determined now that American lives are at stake, public support is firming behind it. The one fatal attraction would be to fall now for a 'diplomatic pause' or cease fire.

"As we heard Mr. Rumsfeld say on Sunday, that isn't part of his plan."