Will COVID shots be required to attend Tournaments in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Well for those who need to cross international borders to attend they will probably be required to make the trip.

As to the events themselves, I'd imagine that is up to the organizers and the attendees as to if they will attend without such a requirement.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Well for those who need to cross international borders to attend they will probably be required to make the trip.

As to the events themselves, I'd imagine that is up to the organizers and the attendees as to if they will attend without such a requirement.
I agree.

I know that several of the upcoming tournaments will be virtual again. I do not think we are at a point where that question can be answered with confidence.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Currently, I would not attend a tournament if the attendees are not vaccinated.

At the same time vaccines are not yet available freely to everyone, so it would be not adequate IMHO to hold tournaments now while admitting only those who were already lucky enough to have had a chance to get himself vaccinated.

People who refuse vaccination I would not allow admittance if I were a TD. Who, after 400.000+ deaths in the US alone (i.e. more than WW2 casualties by the US), still believes this pandemic is a "hoax" just can't be helped. Period. I would see it as my responsibility to protect the attendees of my tournament from the risk of infection that such persons pose.

That said, further developments are to be observed. Some mutations might prove resistant to current vaccines, immunization by vaccination might require regular renewal etc. We simply do not know these things yet.

Finally, it stands out of the question that official regulations must not be violated.

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Im not certain I would check, but I would prefer people to take the responsible path and get it if possible.
I do understand that there will be folk who cannot get it for valid reasons and would not wish them to be excludedl

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you can get your shot(s), get them. Otherwise, stay home.
But check with the tourney director to see if it will FTF or online.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im not certain I would check, but I would prefer people to take the responsible path and get it if possible.
I do understand that there will be folk who cannot get it for valid reasons and would not wish them to be excludedl
This is a virus that has a good chance of killing you or seriously permanently affecting ones continued presumed good health. You're issued a vacs card when you get your vaccination, can't show it upon entry at a tournament? Too bad, so sad, there's the door and don't let it hit you in the rear on the way out. It's past time to be namby pamby about this! I could only hope (a fore-lone hope by all estimates) that one would preclude themselves from attendance at tournaments voluntarily, at least for the near future, if they had not been vaccinated. It should be very clear to every tournament director that it IS a responsibility to protect those attending their tournaments to the best of their ability, and if this may entail checking for vac cards, so be it. Man up and take responsibility! If they can't handle that leadership responsibility, cancel the tournament or offer it virtual.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
It could certainly be made a requirement, but based on the tournaments I've attended in the past practical enforcement would seem unlikely. "Chaos" tends to be the watchword at check-in, which is typically manned by volunteers (frequently the teenage family members of organizers or gamers from what I've seen) who I can't imagine are very motivated to get into a potential shouting contest with a strident anti-vaxxer.

I would strongly encourage everyone to get a vaccine when it becomes available to them (I actually had Covid last month and I wouldn't recommend the experience, even though my case was mild) but apart from possibly requiring documentation for pre-reg I suspect it'll be honor-system compliance.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It could certainly be made a requirement, but based on the tournaments I've attended in the past practical enforcement would seem unlikely. "Chaos" tends to be the watchword at check-in, which is typically manned by volunteers (frequently the teenage family members of organizers or gamers from what I've seen) who I can't imagine are very motivated to get into a potential shouting contest with a strident anti-vaxxer.

I would strongly encourage everyone to get a vaccine when it becomes available to them (I actually had Covid last month and I wouldn't recommend the experience, even though my case was mild) but apart from possibly requiring documentation for pre-reg I suspect it'll be honor-system compliance.
Glad to hear that you have recovered. Take care of yourself as the long term effects are still unknown.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If you've been vaccinated, why would it be any of your business whether others have or not?
Because it is not surely known yet if vaccinated people still can infect others or not. Of course, I could say: "Damn the buggers! If they don't get vaccination, it is their problem if I infect them and they croak it!" But that is not my view on society.

Furthermore, the vaccines only protect you within a certain probability (which should ring a bell with ASLers...).
In Germany, we just had a case in an old-people's home where 14 old inmates that had been vaccinated twice with the BionTech vaccine (currently one of the most efficent ones with a 'protection rate' of 95%) got infected. All only got 'minor' cases of COVID, but still - we don't know much about long-term effects of COVID either. In my personal sphere I know two cases of 'mild' COVID that have 'recovered': One is a woman in her late 20s who is constantly tired despite sleeping 11 hours a day since her 'recovery' from a very mild case. The other is a dentist who had to close down her business because after 'recovery' from the mild case she can't remember anything. What is she and her family going to live on now?

So, as ASL, this COVID-sh** is a 'game of chances'. If not one but 14 got hit by the British COVID variant despite double vaccination with the currently most effective medication out there, then this was either very 'bad luck' or the chances to walk away might not just be so sunny as we all hope.

Bottom line:
This virus is not to be trifled with. Even if it does not kill you, even if it might not strike you with a 'hard' case, it is perfectly capable of screwing up your life. Might be 'bad luck' that I personally know two people with 'very mild' cases to which this applies. The stakes are too high for me to take unnecceary chances.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The vaccine doesn't protect 100% - none ever does.
But it seems to avoid severe developments of the disease.
Anyway, this Covid pandemic is a marathon.
Better adapt and learn how to live with it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And privacy of personal medical information is EVERYONE's business.

This is about responsibilty.

Who is not vaccinated should not attend tournaments at this point. Period.

It is at the liberty of anyone not to disclose personal health information - rightly so. On the other hand, there is the freedom to elect with whom to do business. So as a TD I might decide that I will only do business (i.e. let them attend the tournament) if they agree to provide proof of vaccination. If people do not want to provide that proof, I will not force them. It is their choice. As it would be my choice not to let them attend in that case.

At least this is how I see it.

If legislation would tell me otherwise - well, then I'd elect not to run tournament at all at this point.
No legistlation forces me to run one. If so, I'd define the IIFT with CTC as the default, and that's that. ;)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No politics
This is about responsibilty.

Who is not vaccinated should not attend tournaments at this point. Period.

It is at the liberty of anyone not to disclose personal health information - rightly so. On the other hand, there is the freedom to elect with whom to do business. So as a TD I might decide that I will only do business (i.e. let them attend the tournament) if they agree to provide proof of vaccination. If people do not want to provide that proof, I will not force them. It is their choice. As it would be my choice not to let them attend in that case.

At least this is how I see it.

If legislation would tell me otherwise - well, then I'd elect not to run tournament at all at this point.
No legistlation forces me to run one. If so, I'd define the IIFT with CTC as the default, and that's that. ;)

von Marwitz
You're brainwashed but that is what they want. They love you. Soon they will have a Covid Passport and only those who have it will be able to travel by air or sea. Also public transportation will follow, then entering a store, etc. It's sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Why would I take a vaccine that’s more dangerous than the disease ?
How many have died of the disease? How many of the vaccine?

I am not sure how many Americans have had the disease up to this day - Johns Hopkins Universty's website tracks that as well as the number of deaths. Set that number in relation to the deaths of the millions so far vaccinated in the US.

Then you'd have your answer with regard to the dangers of the disease and the vaccination.

It is kind of ridiculous having to point that out. In fact it is pointless doing so to some people that appear to have lost touch with reality. The disease does not care for ignorance, though. It will wreak more havoc among those which are not vaccinated. I see it coming - the ignorant among those will then claim it is a conspiracy of the vaccinated ones to infect them... 🥴

Anyway, if I were a TD, I'd outline 'no attendance without vacciantion' which you have to provide proof of before showing up on the premises and upon showing up on the premises. If you don't provide proof, you don't enter. My choice of business. I wouldn't be missing those who'd protest they weren't coming under such cirumstances.

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How many have died of the disease? How many of the vaccine?

I am not sure how many Americans have had the disease up to this day - Johns Hopkins Universty's website tracks that as well as the number of deaths. Set that number in relation to the deaths of the millions so far vaccinated in the US.

Then you'd have your answer with regard to the dangers of the disease and the vaccination.

It is kind of ridiculous having to point that out. In fact it is pointless doing so to some people that appear to have lost touch with reality. The disease does not care for ignorance, though. It will wreak more havoc among those which are not vaccinated. I see it coming - the ignorant among those will then claim it is a conspiracy of the vaccinated ones to infect them... 🥴

Anyway, if I were a TD, I'd outline 'no attendance without vacciantion' which you have to provide proof of before showing up on the premises and upon showing up on the premises. If you don't provide proof, you don't enter. My choice of business. I wouldn't be missing those who'd protest they weren't coming under such cirumstances.

von Marwitz
I asked a question, didn’t say one way or the other. How many people died from the flu last year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.