Wild Bill Wilder passes

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Obituary above. "Consumer Alerts" aside, he helped shape the hobby space. Well known and liked in the Combat Mission community, and active in Squad Leader and more recently ASL as a third party publisher.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
? Sad to hear. Bill was a really nice guy though I had never met him personally but corresponded with him on several different matters, ASL included. He certainly had some "wild" ideas but was well read & had varied interests. Regardless of what one may have thought about his ventures in the world of ASL related materials, he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
? Sad to hear. Bill was a really nice guy though I had never met him personally but corresponded with him on several different matters, ASL included. He certainly had some "wild" ideas but was well read & had varied interests. Regardless of what one may have thought about his ventures in the world of ASL related materials, he will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Well said.

I had a couple emails with him in recent years and my impressions are the same as yours.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
No matter what we may think about his ASL material, there is a large family that will miss him. He was the same age of my mother is today; makes you think about what is important.

We have lost another gamer.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sad to hear this news.

Does anyone have a recommendation for one of his scenarios (or perhaps one of his that's been subsequently modified, as I've seen has been done with some of his designs)?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
No matter what we may think about his ASL material, there is a large family that will miss him. He was the same age of my mother is today; makes you think about what is important.

We have lost another gamer.
Agreed.

Personally speaking I don't care about the inferior quality of his ASL material.

I think, aside from Don Greenwood, John Hill and perhaps David Braben, that there is no-one who has entertained me in my life as much as Wild Bill (Steel Panthers).

Rest in Peace. And, thank you very much indeed.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So he was a game designer before he did his ASL releases?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So he was a game designer before he did his ASL releases?
Before you were born, laddie.

From 2000:

The earliest work I'm aware of is his Blood and Sand (?) variant for Squad Leader in the 1980s, published in Keith Poulter's WARGAMER magazine.