Wild Bill Wilder ASL-ography. Are there any more packs for the list?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
So does anyone have any additional information on scenario packs to add to the list below? I'm not asking about quality or appropriate time frame as this has long been discussed:

US Civil War
Civil War Series #1: Raiders (cavalry raids)
Civil War Series #2: The Stonewall Brigade

Colonial Empire Wars
(Small Wars #1) The Splendid Little War (US vs Spain 1898)
(Small Wars #2) ?
(Small Wars #3) Enemies of the Crown: Zulu Land
(Small Wars #4) ?
(Small Wars #5) ?
(Small Wars #6) Enemies of the Crown: The Sudan (1880s)
(Small Wars #7) For Garryowen & Glory! The Indians Plains Wars (1870s)

WWI
Great War #1: Landships and Tommies
(Great War #2) Doughboys and Devil Dogs
(Great War #3) ?
(Great War #4) Desert Warriors (“Laurence of Arabia” and the Arab Revolt)
(Great War #5) Audice
(Great War #?) Diggers and Turks (Gallipolli and the Dardanelles campaign)
(Great War #?) Eager Eagles! (air supplement)

Interwar period
Chaco: Soccer Wars in Latin America (1930s [plus 1980s])

WWII
Duels of Steel #1: Janesville
Duels of Steel #2: The Furious! (Panther vs T-34)
Duels of Steel #3:
Hard Luck Heroes: Special Forces Burma, 1942-1945
Sky Warriors and Horse Soldiers (Japanese paratroopers)
One Out of Four: The Saga of Saving Private Ryan
A Port Too Far: The British Commando Raid on St. Nazaire, 28 March 1942
Green Steel Series Module Number 1: Marine Armor in World War II
Green Steel Series Module Number 2: Marine Armor in World War II
Green Steel Series Module Number 3: Marine Armor in World War II

Korea
The Glory of the Glosters: The Battle of the Imjin River, Korea, April 22-25, 1951
Korea: The Cold War Gets Hot!
Korea: Ordeal at Chosin I

Viet Nam
One Wild Ride! The 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in Vietnam, 1966-1970
Tet: The Furious Offensive
Smoke on the Water! (9th ID and riverine forces)
Years of Glory & Grief I: ASL Vietnam
Years of Glory & Grief II: ASL Vietnam
Years of Glory & Grief III: ASL Vietnam
Birds of Prey! The 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam 1965-1970
Special Forces Series #1: Silver Wings! (Green Beret Action in Vietnam 1964-1970)

Modern
Target Cuba! (Bay of Pigs/Cuban Missile Crisis)
Edge of the Sword! Special Forces #3: Israeli Commandos and Paratroopers in Action, 1956-1982
Terrible Swift Sword! The Israeli 7th Armored Brigade in the Battle for the Sinai 1967
Operation Urgent Fury: Grenada
Fire in the East, Part One: The U.S. Army-Iraq: Desert Storm
Fire in the East, Part Two: The Coalition-Iraq-Desert Storm
When It All Went Wrong! The American Raid on Mogadishu, 3 October 1993
Enduring Freedom! Fighting for the Freedoms, Part One (Afghanistan 2001-2002)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan 2001-2002)

Solitaire Rules
ASL Simple Solitaire

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite a while!!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I take it you looked here: http://www.desperationmorale.com/publisher/bill-wilderfirst-to-fight-variants/

You might also look here: https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/First-to-Fight-ASL-Modules or here: https://www.nobleknight.com/Publisher/Wild-Bill-Wilder. I see Small Wars #4 - Chaco-Soccer Wars, for instance.

The way I found these was to search for one of the ones you listed in google, one with unusual words.

JR
Thanks JR. yes I did use both those resources to put the list together. A few eBay sales also. But didn’t catch Chaco was one of the small wars series. Thanks again.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR. yes I did use both those resources to put the list together. A few eBay sales also. But didn’t catch Chaco was one of the small wars series. Thanks again.
I think that list is accurate. I did pick up a couple of those modules after I stumbled across the "Blood and Sand" variant for SL. I agree with the criticisms, but I can't help but think there was a kernel of something in some of this.. Just keep thinking a paragraph or two of rules/explanations would help. Maybe he should have had some of the "raiders" help him

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I think that list is accurate. I did pick up a couple of those modules after I stumbled across the "Blood and Sand" variant for SL. I agree with the criticisms, but I can't help but think there was a kernel of something in some of this.. Just keep thinking a paragraph or two of rules/explanations would help. Maybe he should have had some of the "raiders" help him
I actually bought the ASL collection from one of the raiders when he retired from the game. I agree his stuff is very much like a playtest kit that needs a few tweaks to make it work. It really isn’t much different from what he was doing with SL and I think you can play these things using both rules systems- although they fit a little better into the SL world

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I agree with the criticisms, but I can't help but think there was a kernel of something in some of this.. Just keep thinking a paragraph or two of rules/explanations would help. Maybe he should have had some of the "raiders" help him
I found his profile on consimworld: http://social.consimworld.com/profile/WildBillWilder. He thinks of himself as a serious designer. He was also involved somehow in the "Lock 'n' Load" system: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ldquowild-billrdquo-wilder-joins-lock-lsquon-load-team. There's something there, all right, but I can't tell what it is.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I always felt tgat the ideas had some merit but the price of them was ridiculous. I'd have dropped 10 quid on them but they were going for well over 70!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I found his profile on consimworld: http://social.consimworld.com/profile/WildBillWilder. He thinks of himself as a serious designer. He was also involved somehow in the "Lock 'n' Load" system: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ldquowild-billrdquo-wilder-joins-lock-lsquon-load-team. There's something there, all right, but I can't tell what it is.

JR
He's been involved in a number of communities, he was also very active in the Combat Mission community and had scenarios published on the original release of CM:BO. I expect he was also active with Steel Panthers and a number of other game communities.

He's been quite prodigious - the quality of his work is debatable, as is anyone's, but he's had his fans over the years. I suppose you could compare his activities favourably to others who just piss away their time trying to separate the forest from the trees.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/tree-artwork-in-woods-too-small.148739/

Right?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Wild Bill has been involved with the original version of Steel Panthers, as well as some with WinSPWW2 (the best one and the only one still updated for the last 18 years) and he was 'famous' in the SPWaW community.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually bought the ASL collection from one of the raiders when he retired from the game. I agree his stuff is very much like a playtest kit that needs a few tweaks to make it work. It really isn’t much different from what he was doing with SL and I think you can play these things using both rules systems- although they fit a little better into the SL world
One of my projects is to go through the scenarios, find out what I think is missing, and see if one of his other modules has something like it, or if I can adapt something from another designer to fill the gap. There seems to be a reliance on putting info on the counters.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
If you love half-baked or even quarter-baked stuff, he's the baker to go to.
So, if WBW is the easy bake oven, does that make CH the Cake Boss?! Didn't Marie "ASL" Antoinette have something to say about this....

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I suppose you could compare his activities favourably to others who just piss away their time...
Right?
Practical, play-focused articles such as JRV’s Bring on the Night are no small contribution to the community. Certainly superior to some of the more exotic ASL ‘scenario packs’ associated with Wild Bill Wilder. I’m sure the latter is a great guy and fine designer for other systems, but his ASL contributions are generally regarded as, well... for the dedicated CH fan only.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
To put my 2cents about the usefulness of Bill Wilder modules, the title of what could be one of the most interesting modules (and only could be) is clear about his level of research: Chaco: Soccer Wars in Latin America, the Chaco War was fought by Bolivia and Paraguay in 1932-35, and the Soccer War was fought by Honduras and El Salvador in 1969. I was tempted to buy the module, until a friend said to me: "Don't be stupid. Design your own and it will be more accurate and, most probably, better, and you will save 200 bucks"

Last edited: