Wild Bill Stuff made of gold?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Anyone concerned about the price of the auctions can email the seller directly and request a duplicate auction be put up. I've contacted him in the past and he's been quite reasonable. Don't know if that has changed, but before you all go spinning into the stratosphere with conspiracy theories, I'd suggest some caution and actual investigation. Innocent until proven guilty, and all that.

Bambooz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I don't know any thing about his ASL stuff, except for what I've read (and yes it's all been bad), but back in the day Wild Bill did some really great work in the Steel Panther World at War PC game mods.
If he's just trading on his name and turning out a sub par product, then that's kind of a sad thing to see....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well I don't know any thing about his ASL stuff, except for what I've read (and yes it's all been bad), but back in the day Wild Bill did some really great work in the Steel Panther World at War PC game mods.
If he's just trading on his name and turning out a sub par product, then that's kind of a sad thing to see....
He had a reputation in the Combat Mission community as well. It would be handy if the discussion about him was confined to just one or two threads - I posted about this auction in one of the threads, but for some reason Scott decided to start his one. As discussed in one of the earlier discussions (you can follow the tags at the bottom of the page) (and John brock participated IIRC) his "rep" in those early computer game communities may have been exaggerated a bit also. No doubt his work was very popular and I take anothing away from that. It wasn't built on historical accuracy though.

I have nothing for or against him personally; we exchanged emails in 2001 or 2002 about some SPR scenarios we had done for CM:BO. We definitely had different ideas on how to approach scenario and game design. I suspect his different design philosophy is well illustrated by his products on ebay. I own one of his Glory & Grief modules for ASL; it isn't something I would consider "finished" but it does, I think, reflect his unique outlook on gaming in general. There are fans of this outlook, and some of them have posted in the other threads, at least one of whom regarded his purchase positively.

Not defending WBW or his products myself, just saying that there are alternate viewpoints that are not being represented by the discussion so far. As always, let the buyer beware.

Last edited:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...'interesting' how at several points a bidder bids against himself, jacking the price significantly. The winning bidder has made exactly *one* bid in the past 30 days, and that a nearly $250 dollar bid?

Colour me sceptical...
check out the bid times
The first bid was probably in excess of $242 on the 16th.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If they sell, why shouldn't he put them up. I need to get onto this bandwagon!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ok, I will fuss up. I was duped into buying some module that contained gliders. One, I DID NOT pay over $25 bucks for it. But, the whole thing was crap and unusable in my own solitary battles (there is no one around that plays). I have learned by my own mistake. I am glad it wasn't some $200 fabrication, which is too much for any expansion.
I don't think you've done anything that most of the folk here would not do. At $25 a lot of people would take a punt on this. It's just the fantasy prices that cause wonder.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I don't think you've done anything that most of the folk here would not do. At $25 a lot of people would take a punt on this. It's just the fantasy prices that cause wonder.
I just wonder why he does not produce more and sell at a fixed price aka other 3rd party company's. sell something for $200 and maybe sell a few, or make and sell a hundred at $25 -30. Moho!

Oh and vinnie his is the only 3rd party stuff that i do not have in the collection.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I just wonder why he does not produce more and sell at a fixed price aka other 3rd party company's. sell something for $200 and maybe sell a few, or make and sell a hundred at $25 -30. Moho!

Oh and vinnie his is the only 3rd party stuff that i do not have in the collection.
Because they're hand-made, and - if he keeps the number low and sells at astronomical prices - why would he change?

A few months ago I had calculated his earnings at about 10,000 dollars based on the auctions I was aware of. That's more money than, say, someone like Holst or Pitcavage has ever made or will likely ever make off of ASL in their lifetime. It might account for some of the negative commentary here.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States

Because scarcity is the only source of its perceived value?

S