Wii

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
from what i heard, first party stuff good, third party stuff crap, again! i watched the trailers, and some of the games look great, but the controler just turns me off.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't wait to see it for myself, I was interesting in Tycho's comments at Penny-Arcade though. He mentioned that some reports you're hearing about the controller (and videos) are extreme exaggerations and that the actual control is much more sedate than they seem to make it out to be.

danrh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My wife is a big Nintendo fan having had pretty much all thier consoles and currently owning the GBA, DS and a Gamecube. I've never been able to come around to the idea of using one of those bloody controller things to do tasks like driving, swinging a bat or firearm or just looking around. I'd vowed to wait until someone made VR affordable and workable but having read some of the reviews and seen the advance shots of the Wii (I agree its the stupidest name, what was wrong with Revolution?) I'm thinking I might have to revise my opinion. I think she'll be getting one pretty soon after they come out (who know when that will be down here) so it will be interesting to play with.

Daniel

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I forgot to mention here.

A Microsoft Exec recommended the Wii to people as a great second console, and he made a jab at Sony's pricing.

A Sony Exec said he agreed, people should go out and pick up a Wii with their PS3.

Nintendo needs to start an ad campaign, "All our competitors agree, buy a Wii!"

madDdog67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the price is right, I *might* give it a shot. I'm not really into that many of the Nintendo franchises, and the spotty 3rd party support has me a little worried.

I notice that MS couldn't help but point out at E3 that you could get a Wii AND a 360 for the alledged price of the PS3.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure price is a major consideration for computer gamers. But it probably is a big consideration for console gamers, since many consoles are sold to parents during the holiday season. There is no question that Playstation's high price will not help Sony, and it will be interesting to see what the company does to bring those prices down as low as they can.

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are your impressions of the Nintendo Wii so far? Are you planning to purchase one as soon as they are available?
Now that I've gotten a chance to play with one for an extended period of time (and have the wife's approval) I will definately be picking one up when they become readily avaliable. (Getting old: not willing to pay extra/camp/etc.)

My brother brought his Wii to Thanksgiviing dinner, the "kids" area all high-20's low 30's, the "adults" are in the high 60's. Shortly after dinner all but one person (one of the adults) switched to playing Wii Sports rather than watching football. Probably spent half the time bowling, the other game that was up a lot was Golf - probably because these are both easy and 4-player. We only had two Wiimotes/nunchucks so no 4-player tennis. First hour or so with bowling we didn't properly play 4-player, but just handed the Wiimote to whoever was standing there (so basically everyone was playing.) Boxing got lots of cheers from the spectators, but got played the least due to people getting tired quickly)

Aside from timing with pushing/holding the button, (and a few instances where people didn't stand correctly, example people trying to sit on the couch and golf perpendicular to the TV, not parallel with it) noone had any difficulties playing the games.

The graphics were definately not "next-gen" but didn't need to be. The controllers worked great, gameplay was swift, lots of fun was had playing (and heckling/encouraging people currently playing.) The speaker in the Wiimote came in very handy with this group as we were trading around two Wiimotes amongst four (or more) players, the "Ping!" they'd emit when one went active helped in this case. Aside from that I'd have to admit the sound quality was pretty sad from the little speaker, and I could see how a game that used more sound through it could be dissapointing. By the end of the night everyone was making fun of the fart sound it would make when you overpowered a shot in Wii Sports Golf. It is nice that the system is so small (especially for peple like me that have 7 game systems crammed in under the TV. Not sure if this one'll completely replace my Gamecube, as it doesn't play GameBoy games!)

Might be a while before I buy any othe games for the system - Wii Sports (and a few extra controllers) will probably be all I'll need on it for a while, though I'm tempted by Metal Slug Anthology (despite the fact that I've got most of 'em on MVS...)

- Chad

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The PS3 is apparently a quasi computer now and should no longer be called a "console".

But, if you want a good console, the Wii is a good deal. The controllers are rather neat, rather fun. Used em myself.

The games won't impress a teen, but they are being sold to kids that just want fun, and adults that don't want typical teen entertainment.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played the Wii and I plan on getting one. However it is the least of my worries at the moment. I grew up with Nintendo but as I matured to adulthood.they did not. They forgot about me and my demographic. Most games are still aimed at the 8-15 yo.

The controller irks me as if I wanted to do something physical I would go outside and do so. I'm more of a concentrating story line kinda guy myself.

There are a few games I'm fairly eager about such as Trauma Center. It looks very fun and its intuitive at the same time.

Simply put...if I were given the choice between PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii...the wii would definetly be last on my list. But since I'm not given that ultimatum and I'm a real gamer...I will own all 3. Wii is the last one I need to buy.

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
^ lucky ehandlr! ^

Yer what i have seen i will almost defiantely be getting the Wii! either for/after christmas...
It looks fun and multiplayer looks great!

chuloopa

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I forgot to mention here.

A Microsoft Exec recommended the Wii to people as a great second console, and he made a jab at Sony's pricing.

A Sony Exec said he agreed, people should go out and pick up a Wii with their PS3.

Nintendo needs to start an ad campaign, "All our competitors agree, buy a Wii!"
LMAO

that really would make a fantastic ad campaign.

I'm really quite surprised at how widely the Wii has been welcomed by the general public. I actually thought that there would be quite a few people that hated it to bits (as withthe gamecube)... but it seems like people either love it or accept it.. no one really hates the thing. This has got to mean something positive...
Not to mention it also seems to be getting non-gamers into a quasi-gaming sort of state...

Wii launches here in aus midnight dec 7th... i'll be camping outside my local EB games for the launch thats for sure.

I really can't wait to see how this little baby performs.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whats not to accept for only 250 dollars. You really don't have anything to lose for that amount. From my debating experience..50% of the people who don't like PS3 or Xbox 360 simply can't afford it.

All 3 systems will be great.

Jim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
From my debating experience..50% of the people who don't like PS3 or Xbox 360 simply can't afford it.
haha that is so true, most people base their decisions on what console to get by: 1. Price
2. Gameplay

Ewan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lol that is quite true, thankfully i dont jufdge consoles by price it just affects what order i buy them in :clown:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My main objection to the PS3 and XBox, is console games predominantly suck according to my own gaming needs.

If a PS3 manages to run a PC game, it becomes a passable thing to ponder, but as I already have a good computer, getting a PS3 seems like an expensive and redundant notion.

The Wii, well I likely would like the games more, but, I want mobility, so I need a DS, not a Wii.

Price ALWAYS counts. If free was all that mattered, I'd have long ago downloaded copies of every game in existence. Thing is, if a game is free or not is not relevant to me, I have to actually want the game first.

I stopped being a console gamer about when I was 30. But back then they were called arcade machines.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me, the Wii does everything I want (which is why I bought one upon launch). I love Nintendo's games and I love playing them in new ways. I don't really care about flashy graphics so much, and especially the prices that come along with them. Even if price were no object, I'd still choose the Wii over any of the other consoles.

lilninja

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Guess what, i just showed my dad a video of the wii and he said we'll get it. WOOO!

hobomunch12

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm getting a Wii around Christmas time. I'll eventually get all 3 systems but for now a Wii should keep me well occupied (Zelda!).

cain

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wouldn't purchase one for two reasons. #1 The games avaliable on it are not my style, i'm not into zelda ect. Maybe monkeyball but i wouldn't buy a wii just for that. #2 I'm personally put off as the graphics havn't progressed much unlike the 360 and Ps3 next-gen consoles. If they'd improved them more i think it would have been even more succesful.