Wii on sale everywhere here now

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well the Wii has become popular enough, and available enough, here at least, that even the more or less bottom of the barrel locations like rent to own are selling them now.

Just saw in the weekly free newspaper flyer inserts that the local Rent to Own operation has them on for 34 bucks a week.

That I think says market saturation.

Reaction score
Country
ll
Eh, thats nuts.. and I don't think thats selling but.. THATS STILL CRAZY. :O

Unless you only want it for a Week however..

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If it wasn't for Panzer Tactics for the DS not likely being on sale conveniently in North America, I'd say it generally seemed to suck being in Europe where gaming is concerned :)

I sometimes wonder if it would be practical, and sufficiently economical, for you Euros to locate trusted North American blokes to purchase on this side of the pond, and just ship the item as private mail.

But then those consoles are often region ruined aren't they.

Currently a Wii and a PS3 is just a normal shelf item here.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also popular: Big box retailers are hoarding them for big sale days. The idea is that if they advertise Wiis on the weekend, they'll get big traffic on those days and sell lots of paper towels and Pokemon junk (specifically mentioned are Target and Toys R Us). I can't speak to this, but it sounds plausible at least.
That's actually slightly true in some cases; there have been a few reports of Best Buy saving them for Sunday so they can advertise it in the circulars. Most of the time though, the consoles are sold whenever they come in.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sometimes it depends on where you live. I'm in a small town. Means small population, means our one only store doesn't rate the same level of attention as the Toronto retail scene. Then again, we also don't have hoards of fans camping out in front of our one only store, so when our one only store actually gets stock (it actually does), the chances are paradoxically better than anywhere in a big city.

Weird eh.

As it goes though, the whole console thing is often just such an incredible barrage of meaningless hype, fan based bias and counter bias.

I only know this, I have as many friends fans of PS3 as Wii, some have both.

But this I also know. The success of the Nintendo DS is near absolute, where as the only person I know with a PSP, only got it as a pdf reader. He is only interested in DS games. Buys so many he gets preferred status in the local store hehe.

Nintendo isn't the big empire that Sony is. Sony could easily out produce Nintendo if it needed to. Sony doesn't just make consoles and games.

Soooo the fact that Sony is NOT really doing astronomically better than Nintendo, seems to suggest that Nintendo is actually outdoing Sony.

Well at least that is my conclusion.

And so far, I have heard both fans and detractors saying the current scene for PS3 game titles sucks. Hard to sell a game machine to people that don't have cool games to play on it.
Not that I can point to a long list of cool Wii games, I just haven't heard people slagging them.