Wii Manual

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some good and bad things found

"Up to 100 Miis can stay in your Mii Plaza." (pg. 11)
"The Photo Channel can display a maximum of approximately 1,000 photos. If your SD card has more than 1,000 photos, remove the card from the Wii console and remove or reorganize your photos in your camera, cell phone or computer." (pg. 15)
"You can not save or overwrite photos or videos on the SD card." (pg. 20)
"Any of the options in Fun! mode [doodles, etc. -Ed.] can be applied to individual frames of a video." (pg. 21)
The photo channel supports JPGs of up to 8192x8192 resolution and QuickTime files of up to 848x480. (pg. 22)
MP3 audio is listed under supported formats. After quite a bit of searching, we figured out how this feature works, but we didn't like what we found (more later.)
"NOTE: Your use of the Wii Shop Channel is subject to your acceptance of the Wii Users Agreement, the Wii Privacy Policy and the Wii Code of Conduct. Copies of the most updated versions of these agreements may be found at support.nintendo.com. [not yet - Ed.]" (pg. 24)
"NOTE: Some Virtual Console games can only be played with a Classic Controller. (sold separately) [this seems to contradict previous confirmation that Gamecube controllers would work on all Virtual Console games -Ed.]" (pg. 25)
"Software downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel is licensed to you, not sold" (pg. 25)
"NOTE: The calendar displays dates from January 2000 to December 2035." (pg. 31)
"NOTE: You will not be able to send photos from your Wii console to the PC/cell phone user." (pg. 36)
"NOTE: The Wii console uses a 24 hour clock. For example, 1:00 pm is displayed as 13:00 pm" (pg. 42)
The parental control features "does NOT control access to Nintendo GameCube games" (pg. 46)
"If you use the messaging features of the Wii console, you need to understand that Nintendo may monitor your use and share certain information (i) as required by law, (ii) where necessary to protect the company, its customers or its employees, (iii) as necessary to provide the services. [Big Brother is watching -Ed.]" (pg. 47)

"NOTE: The initial recommended distance for using the Wii Remote Pointer is 3 to 8 feet from the sensor bar ... Also note that the influence of direct sunlight and various light sources can make the Pointer operation less optimal. [Oh really... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154328 -Ed.]" (pg. 50)
By formatting the Wii Shop Channel from the Wii's system menu, you clear all "records of your transactions and rights to download software." (pg. 61)
"NOTE: You should format your Wii Shop Channel data first, then your Wii System Memory, prior to selling or otherwise transferring your Wii console to any third party." (pg. 61)
"NOTE: Adjusting the speaker and Rumble settings will affect all Wii remotes currently connected to the Wii console. [I hope everyone likes the same settings. -Ed.]" (pg. 63)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ehandlr said:
"NOTE: Some Virtual Console games can only be played with a Classic Controller. (sold separately) [this seems to contradict previous confirmation that Gamecube controllers would work on all Virtual Console games -Ed.]" (pg. 25)
That's the only thing that really worries me, if they ONLY allow a Classic Controller. Though, the way it could be understood is that some VC games won't be able to use the wiimote (NES games will use it) so you'll need to get another controller. They recommend the Classic controller since it's made for this purpose, but a Gamecube controller would work just fine. It wouldn't really make any sense for the GameCube controller to work on some games, but not others...

Otherwise everything else seems to be just what I expected.

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dr. Winston O'Boogie said:
That's the only thing that really worries me, if they ONLY allow a Classic Controller. Though, the way it could be understood is that some VC games won't be able to use the wiimote (NES games will use it) so you'll need to get another controller. They recommend the Classic controller since it's made for this purpose, but a Gamecube controller would work just fine. It wouldn't really make any sense for the GameCube controller to work on some games, but not others...

Otherwise everything else seems to be just what I expected.
Most of that stuff would worry me, although im not getting a Wii.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What specifically is worrisome? Every piece of software you purchase is licensed; you don't own any of it.

If you format your PC, every piece of software you have is gone; that's not something that's really weird or strange either. And it's not like you could accidentally format it, because I think you have to enter a PIN number in and do all of this stuff to do so. Furthermore Nintendo has said that if you somehow lose all your VC data, you can contact them to help you get it back, since they keep logs of everything downloaded.

The message thing is there just as a legal warning, it's not like Nintendo's gonna take everything you said and post it up on the internet for everyone to see. Google has access to your emails if you use Gmail and there's probably similar language in their usage agreement.

Ewan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Its not to bad, its better to have these options and some faults rather than if Wii just played games like the cube did:D

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
These problems would cause alot of doubt in my mind, but tbh i seriously wouldnt be put off a console because of em; HAVE FAITH :hehe:

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sprig said:
These problems would cause alot of doubt in my mind, but tbh i seriously wouldnt be put off a console because of em; HAVE FAITH :hehe:
yer i'm not put off by them... i'm keeping the faith :p

homestar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
aaahhhh im seeing quite some interesting problems. Must...Have...FAITH!
but serisously, would these really keep u away from the Wii?:confused: