Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/07/13/e3.wii.reut/index.html

CNN said:
Sales of Nintendo's quirky Wii video game machine could top the legendary PlayStation 2, making it the biggest hit in the industry's history, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said on Thursday.

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto introduces the new pressure sensitive Wii Balance Board for the video game Wii Fit.

Nintendo Co. Ltd. sped past Sony Corp. in market capitalization last month to become one of the 10 most valuable companies in Japan.

Iwata in an interview also played down the threat to Nintendo's business of a price cut in Sony's PlayStation 3 and the introduction of a thinner PlayStation Portable.

The Wii has outsold Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 monthly since its November launch, helped by its relatively affordable $250 price tag and a motion-sensing controller that can be swung like a bat, for instance.

Instead of offering lifelike graphics to appeal to hard-core gamers, who are mostly men, Nintendo has appealed to an audience including women and the elderly with innovative but easy-to-play games.

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
CNN said:
Sales of Nintendo's quirky Wii video game machine could top the legendary PlayStation 2, making it the biggest hit in the industry's history, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said on Thursday.
Look where the statement came from, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, of course he is going to say this to make Nintendo and the Wii look good.

Although I wouldn't count this out, after all the Wii has been immensely successful.

Encircle

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Of course it will be immensely successful, what was the last console to come out and entertain ALL the family? By that I mean little kids and their parents... computer game certainly, but pure all round entertainment... guaranteed!!! :yummy:

General Q

Recruit
Reaction score
But at the same time, family marketing can only go so far. The biggest pool for games is gamers, period. And Wii has yet to impress most with really high quality games. While I love Nintendo, I think once the novelty of the system and its unique brand of games wears off, or when PS or Microsoft come out with something equivalent in terms of innovation with much stronger games, Wii will slip into obscurity moreso than Gamecube or 64.

Sadly.