Why RAACO?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I have only heard vague praise of RAACO for a storage solution, but I'm anxious to evolve beyond my seabag full of Planos...and I have no more room for Haaka Päälle and all of those weird one off counters (KGS, BFP, even Festing Budapest).

RAACO is really expensive is the thing. Is it that much better than Plano?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have only heard vague praise of RAACO for a storage solution, but I'm anxious to evolve beyond my seabag full of Planos...and I have no more room for Haaka Päälle and all of those weird one off counters (KGS, BFP, even Festing Budapest).

To each their own RAACO is cheaper in Europe, $75 for a carry cases see with four boxes and 64 inserts, Plano is not available over here in Europe but most do think of RAACO as the Rolls Royce of storage systems my counter collection resides in 24 carry cases and I need another empty case for four more boxes, but that is waaay OTT.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
RAACO has inserts that fit counters almost exactly. It has double-layers of trays. It has very nice carry cases that combine four trays into one thing. It is not available in the US, cheaply anyway, whereas plano is ubiquitous here.

JR

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes, it is. First, it is extremely customizable and Plano is not. Second, it achieves a FAR HIGHER density of counter volume than Planos do. With Planos, unless you install a whole bunch of additional dividers (and maybe even then), most of your Plano tray will consist of nothing but air. With RAACO, with its double-stacked small compartments, there is very little wasted space. I can fit an ENTIRE ASL counterset into one set of four RAACOs. In contrast, some people use virtual truckloads of Planos for their gear. Third, it is made of high quality material and can take a lot of punishment. Fourth, your gear will be eyed enviously by other ASLers.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am not aware of Planos being available in Europe.
I use 18 compartment Raaco boxes - perhaps not the format that other players are speaking of.
The boxes are sturdy and their semi rigid plastic is unbreakable.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Of all storage systems I have seen over the last 15 years or so, RAACO is the best.

The only reason that I have not made the transition is that I loathe the work of resorting all counters.

von Marwitz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, it is. First, it is extremely customizable and Plano is not. Second, it achieves a FAR HIGHER density of counter volume than Planos do. With Planos, unless you install a whole bunch of additional dividers (and maybe even then), most of your Plano tray will consist of nothing but air. With RAACO, with its double-stacked small compartments, there is very little wasted space. I can fit an ENTIRE ASL counterset into one set of four RAACOs. In contrast, some people use virtual truckloads of Planos for their gear. Third, it is made of high quality material and can take a lot of punishment. Fourth, your gear will be eyed enviously by other ASLers.
Plane is customizable.

I can do a Bendis and have the entire US mix in one Plano with no dividers at all. Or I can do as many and have them in 2x 3701s dividers in place. Some nations require only one...eg Japanese, French, Finns.

Second, RACCO's trays make for tightly packed trays often requiring tweezers to remove counters, esp for those owners who over fill their trays and are also difficult for players with meat hooks for fingers. Plano allows a standard 26x MMC run to be easily gasped from one divider section.

Plano dividers are nothing more than Racco trays...in a different form.

With Racco double stacked trays you have to take out a tray to get at a layer of counters in the lower level, with Plano you don't have to do this. And this avoids attendant spill chances of a tray.

With Plano I can fit all ASL core modules (and RB, FB, KGP I/II, BRT, ABTF, PB, etc) in 19x 3701s and have enough money left over to drink quality beer. Racco owners have to resort to suck anti-freeze from their radiators...or bath tub gin...or worse drink...water!

I have never had a Plano fail to maintain its integrity...under any circumstance...mine are 15+ years old...and this is a young set, as I used to use sandwich baggies and stored my counters in the original ASL boxes.

My Plano is not the envy of any ASLer, but I don't care.

Select what system is best for your taste and style.

Andy

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had RAACO but I didnt like it for my travel set, had to fumble around looking for pieces. So I decided to go with the Plano and coin envolope system.

Scott

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those tray identifier tags are sweet!!

I have Hozan trays which work really well. Eight trays does the entire system and one nationality can fit into one tray. For the smaller nationalities, you can fit two in a case. They come double stacked and extra dividers are cheap. I don't think they would be good for travel though, being hard plastic. Designed for electronics parts so you can customize the the four trays (double stacked) anyway you would like. The lids also secure nicely and I have yet to have any kind of counter creepage.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
The only reason that I have not made the transition is that I loathe the work of resorting all counters.
LOL if you are not playing you might as well sort them!

I am in the middle of shifting from Planos to RAACO. I have been surprised at how tight RAACO is. I bought eight cases and two handy boxes, but I realize I will probably only need four or five cases for my set. It has been great fun to pore through my Planos looking for the odd stuff not found in the nationality sets, for instance the Japanese guns and weird locations from BRT, Suicide Creek and Kakazu Ridge. And Cpl García as well :smoke:.

It has not been a pain at all as I also took the opportunity to finally punch through some of my newly acquired sets, such as RS, DB 3rd edition and HP. But no, I am not clipping. That is the extra mile of OCD I really do not need.

What I have realized as well is that there is really a bunch of stuff you do not need carrying around in your RAACO. For instance, all the perimeter markers from the CGs, or the gazillion shellhole and level markers you end up accumulating over the years. Or the 74 668 Marine squads from BRT, or the double Hungarian OB from AOO+FB :ar15:. Thus, as I populate my RAACO set, I will really be creating a travel set, which I hope to be able to put as carry on in a plane. The Planos will remain useful as storage for all the rest of the stuff, which is actually massive, looking for the day when I can set up RB at home.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
LOL if you are not playing you might as well sort them!
Oh, I am playing. But via VASL for the most part. I believe 2 FtF games and 22 VASL this year so far and a couple of games pending as I am stuck with other things.

So it would be a LOT of sorting for a few FtF games.

von Marwitz

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Oh, I am playing. But via VASL for the most part. I believe 2 FtF games and 22 VASL this year so far and a couple of games pending as I am stuck with other things.

So it would be a LOT of sorting for a few FtF games.

von Marwitz
I'm only VASSAL... But I hope the day will come when I can do more FTF. And I want to be ready for that day with my RAACO:cool:.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
If it were available in US, I might make the move. But quite frankly, it does not really cut down on the footprint of the "kit", so it is definitely not worth the cost to have it shipped to US.

My friend moved to the thin containers (that Fort posted about). I like how much it cuts down on the footprint, but I am always nervous and they are think and I worry I will spill one when using it.

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

goatleaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is a very useful thread. I currently use 3701s which have 16 fixed square compartments and 1 oblong compartment. Most nationalities have one box for MMP infantry, one for MMP vehicles/guns, one for CH infantry and one for CH vehicles/guns. Some nationalities have a fifth box e.g. winter uniforms/camo. Then there are more boxes for marker counters. I now have a total of 39 boxes on my space challenged shelves which are in 3 columns each of which is about 1 foot wide by 2 feet high. And as Mark points out, over half the volume is empty air. The Raaco system seems to offer three clear advantages - first, portability, second getting each nationality into just one tray as it is bigger and third, reducing the amount of stored empty air and so reducing the total volume of shelf space used.

So, going with portability, I am guessing you use the 136259 Raaco HandyBox 55 Empty for Assorter 55 Service Cases. Then buy four 136204 Raaco Assorter 55 4x8-0 Service Cases PSC4-01. Where I am a bit stumped is what inserts to buy for each case. This is the web site I am using http://www.tradesystems.co.uk/Raaco.html

From most pics shown on GS, people seem to average about 50 compartments per tray. That seems more than enough given my current storage system. Anyway before I order a sample HandyBox, I would be grateful for any advice from you Raaco vets as this system is cool but pretty expensive.

Many thanks.

Yet another Mark.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
any advice from you Raaco vets as this system is cool but pretty expensive.
The shipping is the killer. I had the chance to travel to the UK on business so I ordered from tradesystems.co.uk (check marketplace folder) the eight cases and two carries. If you don't consider the shipping, the cost really comes from the fact that you are spending again on storage (unless you can sell or use those Planos productively on something else). For instance, I placed pretty much all my Germans (non SS, but including ToT rare german tanks and all official HASL Guns and AFV, but not everysingle 467 squad :p ) and Russians (same) in one case. So, four RAACOs into one case, and one handy box has four cases. So that is 16 Planos for around 80 bucks in RAACO sans shipping. Once you make the math, the difference is not that big.