Why Not Reprint More of the Magazine HASLs?

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about it MMP? I'd love to be able to get a copy of Primosole Bridge, Suicide Creek, or some of the others. Heck why not compile them, including the ones they printed in non-ASL magazines, into their own publication.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd like that American one they did, can't remember the name, it was ETO though

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There were two that were ETO Primosole Bridge in Sicily was Commonwealth and Singling in France was American. I'd love to have both!

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
got you, it was the American one I was thinking about right enough

it's a good idea you had there

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Rarity makes things valuable too...
As much as I understand the wish of having those small, magazine included, HASLs, I think that MMP should concentrate their energy on reprinting the core modules.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rarity makes things valuable too...
As much as I understand the wish of having those small, magazine included, HASLs, I think that MMP should concentrate their energy on reprinting the core modules.
Not interested in the monetary value. I would think it would be much easier and cheaper to create a reprint of the small HASLs. If nothing else they would require no playtesting.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not interested in the monetary value. I would think it would be much easier and cheaper to create a reprint of the small HASLs. If nothing else they would require no playtesting.
Primosole Bridge, Kakazu Ridge, and Singling are going to be rather challenging to play for some folks if core modules such as FKaC, Yanks, and Rising Sun are OOP.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Primosole Bridge, Kakazu Ridge, and Singling are going to be rather challenging to play for some folks if core modules such as FKaC, Yanks, and Rising Sun are OOP.
So include the necessary counters. Yanks is a available on MMP and Gung Ho and CoB are still fairly easy to get without spending a fortune. The Commonwealth is another story but if one is careful a copy of WoA can be found at a decent price.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about it MMP? I'd love to be able to get a copy of Primosole Bridge, Suicide Creek, or some of the others. Heck why not compile them, including the ones they printed in non-ASL magazines, into their own publication.
Here we go again...

I would rather see MMP spend its time, effort and money on items that would sell 5000 copies rather than reprint old stuff that 'might' sell 50 copies.

It's better for them and us. I and probably many others don't want to see Korea, Red Factories, the next Journal, AP or even the new French module delayed, to reprint items that most players already own

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Here we go again...

I would rather see MMP spend its time, effort and money on items that would sell 5000 copies rather than reprint old stuff that 'might' sell 50 copies.

It's better for them and us. I and probably many others don't want to see Korea, Red Factories, the next Journal, AP or even the new French module delayed, to reprint items that most players already own
Yup, what Rob said.

MMP is stretched thin enough as it is to be devoting scarce resources to let a few people fill in all the little corners of their suite of ASL stuff.

There really weren't many rave reviews of these when they did come out. They were good enough, but not absolutely MUST HAVE ASL.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here we go again...

I suspect it would sell just as well, be much less expensive to produce, and be much more profitable than many of the larger ones. As to reviews some of the magazines had lack luster reviews but most said the mini HASLs were the bright spots.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you're greatly overestimating both the number of mini HASLs they would sell compared to the new products in the pipeline (or even reprints of core modules for that matter) and the profit of those larger products. I mean the way the products are prioritized and produced should tell you that.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suspect it would sell just as well, be much less expensive to produce, and be much more profitable than many of the larger ones. As to reviews some of the magazines had lack luster reviews but most said the mini HASLs were the bright spots.
Suspect... being the key word. Sorry, but you're wrong. What you propose is foolish and a sure fire way to lose money. MMP sold Tarawa, Bridge Too Far, KGP I and II, Special Ops issues 1+, etc. at deep discount prices. Why would they reprint them again to sell them again at deep discounts?

I remember buying some of these for $13. So, tell me what evidence do you have to back up your claims that they will be much more profitable? You have none and you never will.

So, I get to say this for the 17,354 time, thank you for trying to tell MMP how to run their business. Yes, you missed out on a few HASL's, but you not having them and wanting them does not equate to what is best for MMP and ASL in general. I've been answering the "I Want my MAYPO!" rant for 24+ years. And I will refer to you to the reverse Star Trek Spock answer,

"The needs of the one does not outweigh the needs of the many."

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'm afraid that this is a case I will have to disagree with you on. Not based on any scientific data basis, but simple gut feeling. Development costs should be low, printing just involves rules pages and maps, no counters, but I fear insufficient demand. I am not a typical ASLer, being very much more a history nut than competitive gamer, but while I have bought every core reprint and will buy, likely 2, RF, though I have 3 RB (including the RB in BV v2) already, I would have little interest in such a package. If it did come out I suspect that I would pony up for one, mainly as it's ASL and MMP, but without much enthusiasm. Sorry.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm afraid that this is a case I will have to disagree with you on. Not based on any scientific data basis, but simple gut feeling. Development costs should be low, printing just involves rules pages and maps, no counters, but I fear insufficient demand. I am not a typical ASLer, being very much more a history nut than competitive gamer, but while I have bought every core reprint and will buy, likely 2, RF, though I have 3 RB (including the RB in BV v2) already, I would have little interest in such a package. If it did come out I suspect that I would pony up for one, mainly as it's ASL and MMP, but without much enthusiasm. Sorry.
Perhaps you are right as the hobby does not tend to attract very many new users.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I suppose most of the vehemence comes from the fact that your suggestion seems to assume the reprinting is a costless action (more in terms of MMP man-hours than $$). I don't know how much work such a reprinting "costs" MMP, but it's probably a lot, and it would necessarily imply slowing other projects down. Plus, it's difficult to make sure how much demand there is for such reprints.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...and it would necessarily imply slowing other projects down. Plus, it's difficult to make sure how much demand there is for such reprints.
I guess they could set it for pre-order, and only printing it assuming the P# hits - thus securing funds, the profit they would need to make it worth while.

However, I (highly) doubt all the old magazine-HASL files are in a version ready for printing, so it would indeed take resources away from other projects to "update" all the stuff needed.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suppose most of the vehemence comes from the fact that your suggestion seems to assume the reprinting is a costless action (more in terms of MMP man-hours than $$). I don't know how much work such a reprinting "costs" MMP, but it's probably a lot, and it would necessarily imply slowing other projects down. Plus, it's difficult to make sure how much demand there is for such reprints.
I edited that part out of my post as I realized I had misread one of the posts. In my defense it is still pretty early here. :oops: