Why is't the new RB reprint up to date.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I am sorry. I stand corrected. It is awesome to see someone so young discover the hobby. Thanks for sharing that.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It is not technically challenging to create an html version, and it doesn't require more than a basic text editor for a basic version. Any browser has search capability built in as well so nothing special is needed. What is does require is time and effort.
I keep telling people the time is the issue. I have probably 2K hours into mine spread over 10 years. -- jim

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Jim points out, on the player side it is about time. On the MMP side it is also about time (someone's) but it is also about copyright issues and the ability to protect them. Revenue and control clearly play a part - they are a business which requires revenue to operate (how they choose to get that is their business plan) and to date, they have remained relatively stable due to MMPs continued control over the official rules. In today's world I would greatly fear pirating and loss of revenue.

Phillip

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Jim points out, on the player side it is about time. On the MMP side it is also about time (someone's) but it is also about copyright issues and the ability to protect them. Revenue and control clearly play a part - they are a business which requires revenue to operate (how they choose to get that is their business plan) and to date, they have remained relatively stable due to MMPs continued control over the official rules. In today's world I would greatly fear pirating and loss of revenue.
Early this morning I spent about an hour looking around and came across three pirated copies of the rulebook. Two PDF and one HTML (one of the PDFs was 1st edition though).

That cat's out of the bag.

But I - and it seems like a lot of other ASL players - would rather give money to MMP than use pirated material. Just my opinion but I don't think they'd lose much revenue or control by issuing an eASLRB. Anyone preparing to spend that amount of time learning this game could easily spend the time to find the existing copies. But most of us would rather support MMP and the hobby.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Early this morning I spent about an hour looking around and came across three pirated copies of the rulebook. Two PDF and one HTML (one of the PDFs was 1st edition though).

But I - and it seems like a lot of other ASL players - would rather give money to MMP than use pirated material. Just my opinion but I don't think they'd lose much revenue or control by issuing an eASLRB. Anyone preparing to spend that amount of time learning this game could easily spend the time to find the existing copies. But most of us would rather support MMP and the hobby.
When I got back into ASL, I found one of those copies first. Then I bought the pocket edition. Then I bought the full rulebook. I've been buying stuff here and there ever since and I'll be snapping up the Pocket Chapter H as soon as it comes out.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

There are homemade copies (I have 3) .. and people still want the official one after all these years like you said. I understand : an official one is after all, an official one.

That's PRECISELY why you try not to have a pirated "official one" floating around.

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have an erulebook which is my main reference during play. I also use it to project the IFT on the wall during my club meetups. However, I also have two physical copies of the rulebook and the pocket edition, and I will be ordering the chap H pocket edition on day 1.

eRBs are just so convenient. I can't wait to be able to buy one from MMP to support the hobby.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

I guess musicians and the movie industry should just punt on YouTube then, or Napster, or any of the other distribution systems. -- jim

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I guess musicians and the movie industry should just punt on YouTube then, or Napster, or any of the other distribution systems. -- jim
I tend to disagree. These industries are quite different. But with a little stretch, I would say that you have an example similar to what we are discussing here: some TV series (eg: Blue Blood) give you the chance to watch the first episodes/seasons for free, for the most recent ones you have to pay. Spotify has changed the way music is consumed. Having an eASLRB, maybe in the form of a yearly subscription, might expand the "market" and will definitely support the purchase of ASL games and magazines.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I tend to disagree. These industries are quite different. But with a little stretch, I would say that you have an example similar to what we are discussing here: some TV series (eg: Blue Blood) give you the chance to watch the first episodes/seasons for free, for the most recent ones you have to pay. Spotify has changed the way music is consumed. Having an eASLRB, maybe in the form of a yearly subscription, might expand the "market" and will definitely support the purchase of ASL games and magazines.
At least in the US, it's all copyright law.

I am not an MMP spokesman and I have no association with them at all. If I were them, I would be very cautious with an electronic rule book. I know of several players who sold off all their ASL kit and play only VASL. If people could also get the rule book for free (and, as you point out, it's out there and made available) it could be very detrimental.

WRT Spotify: of course the way you consume music has changed, the artists defended against Napster and the like. Had they not, think anyone would be paying for Spotify?

Lastly, I wouldn't pay a penny for a subscription. I have no interest in that model. But then, I have a fully functioning eASLRB, complete with all the HASL's, the mini-HASL's, errata, in-line Q&A, fully cross-linked, indexed, and searchable. I control how it functions, how it's updated, how it's displayed. I like the control. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Lastly, I wouldn't pay a penny for a subscription. I have no interest in that model. But then, I have a fully functioning eASLRB, complete with all the HASL's, the mini-HASL's, errata, in-line Q&A, fully cross-linked, indexed, and searchable. I control how it functions, how it's updated, how it's displayed. I like the control. JMO, YMMV. -- jim
This is probably because you have the skills set, the time and more important you like it. I have none of that, so I would prefer to pay a subscription. Without such product from MMP, you will have your e-book, MMP will not get my subscription, I will not have the e-book....

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If there is an "official" eASLRB, I will likely buy it.

But...

...if that "official" eASLRB would be the subscription-model, NEVER EVER would I pay a cent for it.

I hate subscription-models for electronic products like the plague. If a company offers or switches to that, it will lose me as a customer much less win me as one.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Buut, doesn't a subscription model kinda fit here? There's gonna be updates regularly as new products come out (generally yearly) , errata gets discovered, and Q&A continue to come out. Not to mention new content that could be specifically enabled by the e-ASLRB like more illustrated examples.

Even if I didn't think there was much of a great opportunity for this model to be good value-added, I'd still consider subscribing because I think MMP has earned the benefit of the doubt. Of all the times and places to put one's foot down and say "Nope, not gonna do it", I'd think one would do that with a more clear-cut Bad Actor like, say, Adobe or Microsoft. They've abused their customers for years; I just don't feel that way about MMP.

Shrug. To each his own.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I am not sure errata would be issued more regularly if an official eASLRB existed. That is usually done via Debriefings in the ASL Journal anyway.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
This is probably because you have the skills set, the time and more important you like it. I have none of that, so I would prefer to pay a subscription. Without such product from MMP, you will have your e-book, MMP will not get my subscription, I will not have the e-book....
The skill set isn't hard. The time for me was easy. I love hockey. Reading with the Rangers on TV was easy. It's not impossible. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There's gonna be updates regularly as new products come out (generally yearly) , errata gets discovered, and Q&A continue to come out. Not to mention new content that could be specifically enabled by the e-ASLRB like more illustrated examples.
IMO, this is what an eASLRB should be. But this is exactly the sort of thing that takes time and effort. Errata is easy to patch in. It is easy to download new pages. But linking Q&A, examples, etc is all easy, but labor intensive. Unless someone from the community with the know how steps up to the plate and gift wraps a solution, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. I could be wrong, but based on what we have all seen over the years, products are someone's labor of love which MMP is happy to market. It won't be me, that's for sure. -- jim

tanespain

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I think that the eASLRB must be done. I would gladly subscribe to an electronic edition with all the rules and updates.

I choose to play only trought Vasl, as for me is the best way for space, comfort, time... and I think that many many players do the same.

A subscription with all the rules, charts, modules... I am sure that it would be a very great source of money for MMP, and - in my opinion - it would be the best way to assure the future of this great game.

See what even Games Workshop is doing right now, incredible only months ago: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/09/the-app-all-you-need-to-know/

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone know what the largest ASL convention is today and the number of attendees? I would also ask that same question in 1987. I think we are doing better then are lowest but no where near our highest, if that makes sense. Yea, I think Saga gets a lot of stuff right in the total war games but the AI is just not up to snuff. Its the same old song every campaign and every battle. I wish I cold recommend Paradox's Imperator: ROME but it sucks. I will recommend highly is, GMT's Great Battles of History, which you probably know about and have played. Hearts of Iron IV is greeat if your into grand strategy. You should try company of heroes or close combat. Real good stuff.
At Oktoberfest 87 we had slightly over 40 attend which was up from 17 in '86, the first year for Oktoberfest. As there really weren't too many all ASL events back then I'm pretty sure it was the largest tournament at that time.

ASLOK still draws around 150 or so attendees but you would have to check with Bret for a more accurate figure. Not sure about Albany or the other major events.