Why is it that a CX unit cannot interdict? It is not a LOS Hinderance?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
+1 for CX is not an LOS hinderance and yet it cannot interdict per some of the Gamesquad threads.

Why please? Which part of the rules is this in. I have checked the definition of LOS Hinderance in the rules and come up with nothing........

Many thanks for any help.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
10.532 INTERDICTOR: One unit may Interdict any number of routing units and may Interdict the same routing unit in more than one hex. No weapon is effective for Interdiction purposes beyond its Normal Range or 16 hexes (whichever is less). If a Gun would have to change its CA in order to fire (if this were a fire phase), a positive DRM would usually come into effect and thereby disallow its Interdiction. Similarly, a CX or Encircled unit, or a unit using Spotted Fire or one in Melee cannot Interdict an enemy unit due to those limitations on its fire.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
+1 for CX is not an LOS hinderance and yet it cannot interdict per some of the Gamesquad threads.

Why please? Which part of the rules is this in. I have checked the definition of LOS Hinderance in the rules and come up with nothing........

Many thanks for any help.
It's in Interdiction. Though I do not have the RB handy. You are correct that CX cannot interdict. Pretty much any positive modifier cancels out interdiction.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hindrance is only one way that interdiction is nullified. Others are CX, CA change, BU AFV, etc.... Pretty much any positive DRM with the possible exception of certain LV Hindrances called out in the weather sections of Chap E.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a few that may throw you for a bit though:
  • Height Advantage is NA if interdicting with a mortar.
  • Using a MG (e.g. CMG, BMG, etc.) to interdict from a BU AFV does not negate interdiction.
  • Using ordnance TH in Mud/Deep-Snow will cancel its ability to interdict even if the broken unit is in Open Ground with no other hindrances.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty much any positive modifier cancels out interdiction
Would be cool if they changed it to "net positive modifier". So a negative leader or Hero could help certain situations.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
There are a few that may throw you for a bit though:
  • Height Advantage is NA if interdicting with a mortar.
  • Using a MG (e.g. CMG, BMG, etc.) to interdict from a BU AFV does not negate interdiction.
  • Using ordnance TH in Mud/Deep-Snow will cancel its ability to interdict even if the broken unit is in Open Ground with no other hindrances.
Now if memory serves, there are a few more "gotchas" that most people overlook.....going from memory here...

- Ordnance that interdicts loses acquisition (C6.5)....and ordnance MUST interdict if there are no other valid interdictors.(10.53). This would apply to vehicular CMG as well.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now if memory serves, there are a few more "gotchas" that most people overlook.....going from memory here...

- Ordnance that interdicts loses acquisition (C6.5)....and ordnance MUST interdict if there are no other valid interdictors.(10.53). This would apply to vehicular CMG as well.
I am not sure if I would go so far as to say "MUST". Below is the rule as stated. I am assuming that if you MUST do something, the rule would state that you must do it. I do agree the wording leaves it open for interpretation, although if the interpretation is you MUST, then I would assume that means you MUST also check all LOS from any/all units in normal range in order to determine who is capable of interdicting and in that process determine if any unit is forced to interdict. I don't think that was the intent. I believe the intent is that interdiction is voluntary and you would choose to interdict if you wanted to, in most cases you would as there is no "penalty" to interdicting. I have not checked any Q&A, but will most likely look and see if this has been previously asked.

10.53 INTERDICTION: A routing unit which enters an Open Ground hex without Low Crawl, in both the LOS and Normal Range of an unbroken enemy unit capable of fire on it in that hex with at least one FP without any form of LOS Hindrance, is subject to a NMC and everything that normally entails ...

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked at a file of Q&A of Perry Sez and found this which seems to support the "MUST" interpretation:
A10.53, A10.532, & C6.5
If the ATTACKER routs a broken unit without using Low Crawl, through an Open Ground hex that is in the LOS and Normal
Range of a an unbroken enemy unit capable of fire on it in that hex with at least one FP without any form of LOS Hindrance, can
the DEFENDER decline Interdiction and allow the broken unit to disregard a NMC?
A. Only if concealed.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, if BU, the MA can't interdict unless it is an mg.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's all about Open Ground isn't it? Any +1DRM, no "OG", no Interdiction.
Not really. If there is a +1 DRM that removes a hex from the category of Open Ground, then no enemy unit can Interdict a routing unit there. But even if the hex is Open Ground, a particular unit will not be eligible to Interdict in that hex, if the unit's fire is halved or would be subject to a +DRM. A10.531 versus A10.532.