Why I keep Panzerblitz on my shelf

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still keep PANZERBLITZ and PANZERLEADER on my bookshelf. I even take them down and fondle the boards, the pieces, read the scenarios and remember old battles past. But I tried playing them both once and realized why I hadn't played either of them in so long. The games were too chess-like compared to the higher levels of fog and friction found in other tactical games I'd played since. The terrain seemed to stylized and the system too oriented around the armor, to the detriment of the artillery and infantry.

But what drew me and continues to draw me to both these games? One, it's the graphics--the boxes scream at you to play the games. The game pieces and boards still look great and look good together. Two, it's the warm memories of playing these games when I first got into wargaming in junior high and high school...two player games with friends, home-brewed "Race To Berlin" scenarios for three players using both games, creating home-made Katyusha and Maus pieces, etc. We grew up on these games.

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have fond memories of this game as well. I have it on my shelf, but have to give the rules another look to spot the weaknesses of the system. I don't mind chess-like games of this sort too much, but I don't like for there to be glaring exploits that make the game veer from believability.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I still have my copies of PB and PL in priviledged status on my game shelf for one reason. They are known as great games because they were, and still are great games.

When all is said and done, you can still set them up, and be playing them, likely a lot easier than a lot of their electronic competition.

They might not have ALL the bells and whistles of some of the competition, but, they were made right, back then, and that actually still matters.

What would be nice, is if the game system could be face lifted, and given a new shot at the store shelf scene maybe. Well, mostly just a new drawing for the boards, and the counters ie something maybe a bit more colourful considering a computer could do this real easy.

I saw something mentioned along these lines a couple of years back now I think. But, nothing appears to be forthcoming at this time (which is sad I guess).

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a copy of Panzer Blitz and Luftwaffe sitting on my shelf but to be honest, I have never played either of them. They were given to me by a friend and I kept them because I know they are classics. I missed the Avalon Hill era by a couple of decades it seems. As one of the younger wargamers around here (24 is considerably younger than a lot you you :laugh: ) I never had the opportunity to play a lot of the great games that shaped what wargaming is today. Sadly many of these games are OOP and harder and more expensive to find than some of the newer offerings.

Ben

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with some of the comments above. Panzer Leader was my very first wargame and it still holds a special place in my heart. Granted, Talonsoft's Campaign Series was basically an electronic version that bests the original while maintaining its simplicity and fun factor, yet these games are still very fun.

I tried to teach my son ASL (yeah, like I know what I'm doing... :nuts: ), but that's didn't work out so well. Panzer Leader provides a much easier way to introduce the basics of wargaming without overwhelming him.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started playung these two again a few years ago. For many years I always felt the PL was the better of the two, but now I feel PB is better. Artillery is better portrayed (I think it is simply wrong in PL) and OP fire was not necessary and actually changed the game. If you read the desiners notes to PB you may grasp the reason why I say that. I think many people just tried to tinker with a good simple game system and ended up mucking it up. It was a design for effect game that was not that hard to grasp.

Have you seen all the stuff that Ward McBurney has done for these games at: The Imaginative Strategist?

This stuff may make you get back into it.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blackcloud6 said:
I started playung these two again a few years ago. For many years I always felt the PL was the better of the two, but now I feel PB is better. Artillery is better portrayed (I think it is simply wrong in PL) and OP fire was not necessary and actually changed the game. If you read the desiners notes to PB you may grasp the reason why I say that. I think many people just tried to tinker with a good simple game system and ended up mucking it up. It was a design for effect game that was not that hard to grasp.

Have you seen all the stuff that Ward McBurney has done for these games at: The Imaginative Strategist?

This stuff may make you get back into it.
Wow! The Imaginative Strategist stuff is great. I'd like to see it put together into a vpzb mod. The graphics are way better than the old original stuff. Has this been done already??

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, that is nice! This guy really did a wonderful job sprucing these old titles up. Someone should contact him and get a VASSAL module going with the updated material he has come up with.

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Yeah, that is nice! This guy really did a wonderful job sprucing these old titles up. Someone should contact him and get a VASSAL module going with the updated material he has come up with.
I'm working on it!

:smoke:

Reaction score
Makes me want to dust off those old venerable titles, and give them another go. The additional boards and associated rules really spice up and add to some good titles.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was on the playtest team for PB2 very early on - but had to drop out because of other committments. It does look like one to keep an eye out for in the future (to be published by MMP).

Someone mentioned the "chess-like" gameplay that PB/PL have. I've started to play the classic 3R4 which is very chess-like, and I'm rather enjoying it. ASL is very chess-like. Something about computer wargames that are not very chess-like which is both good and bad IMHO.