why have we never seen THIS in a HASL CG yet?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
man, on board arty, fortifications, fixed emplacement FT's DCs, ASSAULT ENGINEERS, SAPPERS, CLIFFS, BOCAGE, ELITE COMMANDO UNITS, ROCKET AIR SUPPORT TYPHOONS, OBA. NIGHT.What is there NOT to like about this in an ASL CG arena?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the historical battle went from the evening of D-Day until late on the 8th, so you could do this as 6-6-44 PM; 6-7-44 Night, 6-7-44 AM, 6-7-44 PM, 6-8-44 Night, 6-8-44 AM. 6 scenarios - 2 of them night rules.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always thought that the defense of Calais would make a great CG.
You mean the assaults to take the ports from Sept- Nov 1944? There could be some food for thought there. Hypothetical, it would fall into a similar category as a Seelowe CG.

Port-en-Bessin was a major objective for D-Day, and one area I have never seen modeled into ASL yet, (in an arena of ASL that is HEAVILY modeled). It took the Brits 2/ 1/2 days to clear the defenses, which had bombardment capability onto the landing beaches. That alone made it a priority target. We even got several scenarios on the Rangers taking out the cliffside objectives at PdH - even a HASL CG on it from Critical Hit - but nothing on Bessin, the British version of that idea. Heck, battle accounts show you would even have a couple of at start heroic leaders in ASL terms. We need this in ASL. :) I just got too much on my design plate to handle it as well right now, so tossing the idea out for others - and committing that I would buy something like this from an ASL publisher if done decently.

KRL ,Jon H

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean the assaults to take the ports from Sept- Nov 1944?
Actually, I had in mind 1940. You've got mixed French, Belgian, Dutch and British units, including the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment (so you could have scenarios with armor for both sides). You've got the ancient fortifications (well, 1700'ish, which isn't quite ancient). You've got French coastal guns and sea evacuation of some of the survivors. You've got the action of Royal Service Corps fending off attacks by leading elements of 1st Panzer Div. Seems like lots of potential for interesting special rules and many varied scenarios. Probably, more than a CG, I was envisioning a collection of themed scenarios with a historical map (and some geo board scenarios).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The pack doesn't have a CG but does have a monster scenario. By monster I mean 47 and a half (important to remember that) turns.
Features 34 squads defending and the attacking OB is spread over some 3 pages...

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The pack doesn't have a CG but does have a monster scenario. By monster I mean 47 and a half (important to remember that) turns.
Features 34 squads defending and the attacking OB is spread over some 3 pages...
you forgot the full sheet personal leader counter insert!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
THIS is Bessin. a fortified port taken at great cost. If any designer ever got a CG published on this little doozy- I'd buy it!!! :D
Sounds similar in nature to what Tom Morin's Rees CG and mini-module were like in Dispatches.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds similar in nature to what Tom Morin's Rees CG and mini-module were like in Dispatches.
ahhh, I don't regularly subscribe to DftB anymore - could be why I missed that item. Do you know what issue (s) it was in so I might back-order them?