Why go to an ASL tournament?

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Why go to an ASL tournament, you may ask? This article may help convince you to register for one of the many tournaments listed in this thread.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Active regular tournaments in Europe (EXC: UK, feel free to add)

More than 20 competing players (on average; by alpha order)

Grenadier (Hergarten-Germany)
ASL Scandinavian Open (Copenhagen-Denmark)
Supporting Fire (Boras-Sweden)

Less than 20 competing players (on average; by alpha order)

ASL Conscripts! (Bad Staffelstein-Germany)
Fanatic! (Barcelona-Spain)
Friendly Fire (Linköping-Sweden)
MAD-ASL (Madrid-Spain)
Ring (Villeneuve d'Ascq-France)
Sissukoni (Helsinki-Finland)
ASL Stockholm (Stockholm-Sweden)

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did you forget the CCTV? Just kidding, but the most embarrassed might have been your brother Neil trying to get you back to the hotel....LOL

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Fanatic! (Barcelona-Spain)

MAD-ASL (Madrid-Spain)
Are these two active? I cannot find any references anywhere. Who are the TD's?

PS. This year I am actually attending all the other ones except Villeneuve d'Ascq. Nor am I attending Alpenfestung, which is active but limited to 4 players.

PPS. ASL Stockholm has a different format this year, and actually takes place in Linköping (other name/same date). But as I have seen no Foreigner at that tournament since I started ASL so this information might be superfluous.

Last edited:

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
That picture if it existed would be all Diane's and the damn Finns fault!!!! They MADE me drink all that wine...
Finns normally do not drink wine - that's why you had to drink it :) .

Minttu and Koskenkorva mixed with Carlsberg and Tuborg seems more like the standard fare :)

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Why go to an ASL tournament, you may ask? This article may help convince you to register for one of the many tournaments listed in this thread.

Nice article. A side note. Those of us who have been around since the beginning might recall that ASLOK I and II were dedicated to Don Munsell who died in 1985 shortly after having the first SL only wargame tournament that both Bill Conner, I and some other North Carolina gamers attended in Charlotte. After ASLOK some of us "Tar Heels" wanted to bring back to NC an ASL only tournament the result of which was the Winds of War now Bitter Ender tournament.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nice article. A side note. Those of us who have been around since the beginning might recall that ASLOK I and II were dedicated to Don Munsell who died in 1985 shortly after having the first SL only wargame tournament that both Bill Conner, I and some other North Carolina gamers attended in Charlotte. After ASLOK some of us "Tar Heels" wanted to bring back to NC an ASL only tournament the result of which was the Winds of War now Bitter Ender tournament.
Thanks for that, Ray! A great tidbit of information in the storied history of ASL. Thank you for sharing!

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray,

I remember those dedications.

What year did Winds of War start?

ASLOk was also the inspiration for (the long defunct) Summer Wars, which was the direct inspiration for Winter Offensive.

If Kevin Meyer could run a tourney, so could we. ;)

Winter Offensive was deliberately scheduled with those two in mind.

Was Winds of War also a scheduling influence?

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Year​
NC TournamentWinnerLocation
1989​
Winds of WarMike McGrathWinston-Salem
1990​
Winds of WarBill "Fish" ConnerWinston-Salem
1991​
Winds of WarBill "Fish" ConnerWinston-Salem
1992​
Winds of WarMark HannaGreensboro
1993​
Winds of War 5thPatrick Cross & Mike McGrathGreensboro
1994​
Winds of WarRuss BuntenGreensboro
1995​
Winds of WarRich SummersWinston-Salem
1996​
Bitter EnderKen DaughetyBenson
1997​
Bitter EnderNelson HarrisBenson
1998​
Bitter Ender 10thDave StephensDurham
1999​
Bitter EnderDan StanhagenDurham
2000​
Bitter EnderCurt LandrumDurham
2001​
Bitter EnderRay WoloszynRaleigh
2002​
Bitter EnderDave ReenstraRaleigh
2003​
Bitter Ender 15thDave ReenstraRaleigh
2004​
Bitter EnderDave StephensRaleigh
2005​
Bitter EnderDave ReenstraRaleigh
2006​
Bitter EnderMika HarvialaRaleigh
2007​
Bitter EnderMika HarvialaRaleigh
2008​
Bitter Ender 20thAnthony FlanaganRaleigh
2009​
Bitter EnderGary FortenberryRaleigh
2010​
2011​
Bitter EnderPierce OstranderRaleigh
2012​
2013​
Bitter Ender 25thGeorge TournemireRaleigh
2014​
Bitter EnderPaul SidhuRaleigh
2015​
Bitter EnderPaul SidhuRaleigh
2016​
Bitter EnderPhil PalmerRaleigh
2017​
Bitter EnderPhil PalmerRaleigh
2018​
Bitter Ender 30thTom KearneyRaleigh
2019​
Bitter EnderBill CirilloRaleigh

I'm not sure why WoW / BE was scheduled for April / May, except it is damn fine weather in NC during those months. Ray will have to enlighten us.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Ray,

I remember those dedications.

ASLOk was also the inspiration for (the long defunct) Summer Wars, which was the direct inspiration for Winter Offensive.

If Kevin Meyer could run a tourney, so could we. ;)

Winter Offensive was deliberately scheduled with those two in mind.

We organized (Sam King and I) Winds of War in 1989 (Winston-Salem) for the 50th Anniversary of WWII and also the Wouk novel which had been made into a series by ABC. It was historical in that at this venue Guy Chaney and Mike McGrath teamed up.

When I went to Estonia in late 95 I passed it on to the Raleigh group which changed the name but we continue to note the continuity of this event on our Bitter Ender information and placards.

The odd thing about North Carolina is that at the time of Don Munsell there were beaucoup players in our largest city, Charlotte, but nary a one can be found these days. The Triangle and the Triad are the hot spots.

Doug is correct, good weather in April though in snowed in 1992 when our theme was Stalingrad, go figure.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the Winds of War info.

So, yes, WoW was a scheduling influence on Winter Offensive.

We took the season that was left over after spring (WoW), Summer Wars, and Oktoberfest.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Are these two active? I cannot find any references anywhere. Who are the TD's?
You are right to point out that information is sketchy on these two events.

One can find traces of ASL tournament life on the Spanish ASL forum

http://www.asl-spain.net/viewforum.php?f=5

These two events, if they still exist, were gathering very few players. Following the Canadian astute model, it would have been good to join forces and mount a single event which would take place alternately in Madrid and Barcelona (linked by high-speed train btw) with a capability to attract foreign players. But, hey, it seems that it requires way too much: that Real Madrid and FC Barcelona fans talk to each other, LOL.

It's disappointing but i would not recommend anyone trying to attend any of these events in the current state of affairs.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
Well, both events in Barcelona and Madrid are still taking place every year. MadASL happened last weekend, and the fact that general elections were the same weekened had an impact on attendance. I went last year and it was 18 players altogether. There is also a new idea for another tournament in the south of Spain, AndaluKIA, with Ramón Real as the TD. And you are absolutely right, to make these two cities Madrid and Barcelona to agree on something is kind of nearly an impossible task!

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It's disappointing but i would not recommend anyone trying to attend any of these events in the current state of affairs.
Let me disagree with you in this point. Things are far going to be as bad. I've attended almost every year Barcelona's tournement with assistance from many parts of Spain.

Check the magazine for the players of 2018 edition: Fanatic XIX

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Let me disagree with you in this point. Things are far going to be as bad. I've attended almost every year Barcelona's tournement with assistance from many parts of Spain.
Check the magazine for the players of 2018 edition: Fanatic XIX
Very nice tournament booklet, congratulations ?

I'm happy to see that things are better than i expected. The purpose of my message was to trigger some reactions to know more about what is going on. Maybe TDs should communicate a bit more about their events. One post to announce the event and one AAR post to report on the action on this board, and that would be great. I'm sure some may take the opportunity to combine vacations in Spain and ASL (hoping that one day the number of tournament rounds increases along with participation numbers).