Why do you buy Critical Hit products? (anonymous poll)

Why do you buy Critical Hit products? (please select up to THREE answers)

• I am more or less a completist and just can't help myself.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I believe that Critical Hit makes high quality products.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I can't help buying a CH product if it is on a subject that interests me.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I get entranced by the counters and/or maps.

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I generally just use them as game kits for design your own scenarios.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I mostly play solitaire and things like balance don't matter to me.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • The errata, development and playtesting issues, real or alleged, simply are not a big deal to me.

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Sometimes I just want to spend money on ASL.

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • It is easier to find Critical Hit products than some other ASL-related products.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • They do products on esoteric subjects.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Critical Hit products can't be as bad as people say they are

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • I don't really know why; I just keep buying them.

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya I played alot of CH stuff, some of it good, some of it bad. If you are looking for tight FrF or DTF actions in a CH product well you aint gonna find them. It it was not for the map panel's, I probably would have continued to purchase a few CH products that caught my eye. Setting up the map panel's are very back braking and a pain to line up. Many of the scenarios just did not make since IE you can tell the designer just came up with the set ups and perimeters without really doing any playtesting or forethought. Well thats my 2 cents lol.

I will not comment on this judgement.

Let me remark, though, as far as I understand it, Gunner Scott has been among the ones around here, who has not only bought a LOT of CH stuff but also actually played more of it than most others in this forum. At least this was my impression following his posts on CH over the past years.

If I am wrong on this, please correct me.

von Marwitz

morgan kane

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
One can always discuss and have an opinion about the production rate of CH and so do I, but since CH first and most publish what has been developed by other designers than Ray himself, then as a TPP CH will always publish more ASL material than any other TPP. If it was not for CH a lot of ASL material now published would never have been available for the ASL community. Finally it is up to each and everyone if they want to buy the products published by CH or any other TPP or not. Sorry but I do not buy this bashing of CH, I have played to many CH scenarios that I have enjoyed and will keep playing them.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
One can always discuss and have an opinion about the production rate of CH and so do I, but since CH first and most publish what has been developed by other designers than Ray himself, then as a TPP CH will always publish more ASL material than any other TPP. If it was not for CH a lot of ASL material now published would never have been available for the ASL community. Finally it is up to each and everyone if they want to buy the products published by CH or any other TPP or not. Sorry but I do not buy this bashing of CH, I have played to many CH scenarios that I have enjoyed and will keep playing them.
<shrug> Whatever.

Some of the best ASL I've played was from DBP from CH.

That being said, I quickly tired of the quality/crap ratio coming out of the CH machine. Got tired of spending money on what were essentially play test kits. Add to that, CH's habit of reprinting, re-naming, and re-pricing (up) with no added content..... It's not like there isn't enough other ASL content to keep one occupied.

<shrug> to each his own

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This........

<shrug> Whatever.

Some of the best ASL I've played was from DBP from CH.

That being said, I quickly tired of the quality/crap ratio coming out of the CH machine. Got tired of spending money on what were essentially play test kits. Add to that, CH's habit of reprinting, re-naming, and re-pricing (up) with no added content..... It's not like there isn't enough other ASL content to keep one occupied.

<shrug> to each his own

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dude relax, take a chill pill, smoke a joint, shoot some heroin or snort some coke.

You haven't bought anything from CH in the last 15 years but you know all the stuff is bad because someone else said it was. Just like all the CH haters. You people make me sick. Why did you start this thread anyway, it's been a while so lets bring out all the CH haters.

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No politics nor xenophobic language on this forum.
Dude relax, take a chill pill, smoke a joint, shoot some heroin or snort some coke.
Sit in your small room with your mask on since it's too dangerous to go outside where you live. You might get shot by a gangbanger or die from the Chinese virus.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Sit in your small room with your mask on since it's too dangerous to go outside where you live. You might get shot by a gangbanger or die from the Chinese virus.
And me clean out of popcorn in the house.....

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So yeah, back to the poll results of the original post. That's the two I hear most too. Nobody else did it, essentially. Niether of which get me through the door.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like CH for personal reason's. A long time ago I submitted to Ray at CH a scenario based on the invasion of Madagascar. The very next year CH published a Scenario based on the invasion of Madagascar that was very much like the one I submitted but was a little bit deferent. I never received any money or credit from CH. That was back in the mid to late 90's. I have never bought anything from CH and I never will.
Person hate of everything CH. At this point nothing will change my opinion.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I don't like CH for personal reason's. A long time ago I submitted to Ray at CH a scenario based on the invasion of Madagascar. The very next year CH published a Scenario based on the invasion of Madagascar that was very much like the one I submitted but was a little bit deferent. I never received any money or credit from CH. That was back in the mid to late 90's. I have never bought anything from CH and I never will.
Person hate of everything CH. At this point nothing will change my opinion.
Well said.

I'd been avoiding the thorny question of extremely immoral business practices as it patently doesn't seem to matter to some people.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't like CH for personal reason's. A long time ago I submitted to Ray at CH a scenario based on the invasion of Madagascar. The very next year CH published a Scenario based on the invasion of Madagascar that was very much like the one I submitted but was a little bit deferent. I never received any money or credit from CH. That was back in the mid to late 90's.
This is an honest question, not to construed as a criticism: Did you have an agreement or better, a contract, with Critical Hit that laid out your compensation and credit? Or did you just send in the draft scenario with an unstated expectation of a return?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
This is an honest question, not to construed as a criticism: Did you have an agreement or better, a contract, with Critical Hit that laid out your compensation and credit? Or did you just send in the draft scenario with an unstated expectation of a return?
A very good point.

Still, that being said, it is indicative of the level of personal, if not business, ethics practiced by CH.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a verbal agreement with Ray. that CH would take it or return it.

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Curious why the poll numbers don't add up to 100%. Is this part of the “new math”? :rolleyes:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Daniel Zucker,
I had submitted two Platoon Leader CG's to CH back around 1997-98 and made sure I had a contract as well as patent on my work.
Neither one got used, mainly because it meant I would have had to do all the playtesting,design, etc. so nothing came of it (as CH stating they would "help" really did not entail such), but at least my work was not taken and redesigned for publication.
Worked out for the best any way, in 2003 sent it in to MMP as part of initial work on Forgotten War module, and Ken Katz used some of my material in design of that module and he remembered me by listing my name on the back of FW box, so was quite pleased to have that credit. Thanks, Ken!
Sorry you got misled by CH, would have liked to have seen your work.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't support CH! for the same reasons I don't support any company that behaves, in my view, unethically.
That applies especially to ASL related companies & products. I like to think of ASL, it's legit publishers and loyal fans as a kind of brotherhood; where trust and decent relationships matter.