Why are WWI movies so rare?

Brian W

Nor should it obscure the fact that the British were *obsessively* proud of their navy. They may have sneered at German militarism, but I think it escaped their mind that navies are also a branch of the military. It didn't stop them from dressing their kids as sailors, advertising every possible product with images of ships and sailors, and expecting every male member of the royal family to serve on a ship.
Yes, but none of that was forced, conscripted. Every German male had to serve in the military. Comparatively few citizens were in Great Britain's military or had military experience. It's the very reason that Germany could go to war and almost beat Russian and France in a few months, while it took nearly two years for Great Britain to field a citizen army, similar to the time it took for the US to field an army in Europe, with the difference that Great Britain had a much larger professional army than the US did, allowing for an immediate impact in France and elswhere that the US could not match.

Whether the difference was very small or very large, though, the argument is that the British citizens who fought the war mostly believed that the war had been honorable fight against totalitarianism of German monarchy, and a Europe dominated by German militarism.
Jackie Fisher was famous for clearing out the dead wood of the old Royal Navy
Yes, that is what I meant with the word "modernization"; I did not refer to Fisher specifically because it was going to happen whether Fisher was there or not.

Matt Book

You think WW1 movies by Hollywood are rare.....

Try to count the ratio of Nazi depictions to Soviet depictions in film or outright movies based on either

Brian W

Try to count the ratio of Nazi depictions to Soviet depictions in film or outright movies based on either
this is an old post, but I don't see the point. Russian films depicting the Great Patriotic War abound (that means that there are a lot of them). Are there more Nazis depicted in US films? Of course--we fought the Nazis, not the Soviets!

Now, there aren't too many Nazi films out there, but that comes with losing and generally being consider the lowest ebb of humanity known.

Brian W

I've been watching more pre-1939 films and the idea that there aren't many WW1 films is rather foolish. I mean really ignorant. There are hundreds, if you can sit through silent films.