Why are the German 15cm Kanone 18 and 17cm Kanone 18 RFNM (C10.25) when they have a 360 deg mounting ?

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
It would seem that "NM" (C10.26) is reasonable, given the very slow setup time. But to categorically disallow a gun with a 360 deg mounting firing outside of their CA seems too harsh.

John.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
note 23 says
A powerful but very heavy
gun that took much time to emplace or limber. It was probably used at corps or army
level. In reality it could have 360° traverse,
but not at the speed necessary for it to qualify as a T gun in the game.
Could is a maybe and speed is the determining factor. If it takes more than 2 minutes to turn 60 degrees, it isn't something that can change CA in game terms.

Note 24 eliminates the could but focuses on the speed. How long did it take to turn the gun?

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
note 23 says

Could is a maybe and speed is the determining factor. If it takes more than 2 minutes to turn 60 degrees, it isn't something that can change CA in game terms.

Note 24 eliminates the could but focuses on the speed. How long did it take to turn the gun?
...longer than an ASL scenario, apparently........... if you're prepared to take the ASL specifics literally.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed it does. Query whether the rapid change of positions takes into account an emplacement with that large a piece of equipment. Changing direction in an a tactical emplacement might be more difficult than in a strategic rear location 10+ miles from the focal point.

Are there any scenarios where this gun is used?

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Indeed it does. Query whether the rapid change of positions takes into account an emplacement with that large a piece of equipment. Changing direction in an a tactical emplacement might be more difficult than in a strategic rear location 10+ miles from the focal point.

Are there any scenarios where this gun is used?
Yep, one I am soon to play, as it turns out.

OtO-16 "Tangle At Tolochin"

I also read that this gun was used in direct fire situations, so I am starting to think that the C10.25 restrictions are a bit over the top.

John.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should direct your question on the Bounding Fire page and ask them if their scenarios should be played with an NT turret.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Reminds me of a story in The Silent Warriors about the Alamo Scouts. They had been supplying the Philippine Guerilla's with weapons, and getting requests for large amounts of bazooka rockets.
When the Alamo Scout Team Leader checked on it, he found they had been firing the Bazookas at individual Japanese soldiers.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reminds me of a story in The Silent Warriors about the Alamo Scouts. They had been supplying the Philippine Guerilla's with weapons, and getting requests for large amounts of bazooka rockets.
When the Alamo Scout Team Leader checked on it, he found they had been firing the Bazookas at individual Japanese soldiers.
It's always a hoot dealing with under trained forces and brings back memories when I was an advisor to the forming new Iraqi Army.

A few days after I had allocated a considerable amount of ammo to the companies in their battalion, one of their company commanders approached me with a request for additional ammo. Knowing we had not experienced a major action recently I asked him why he needed another issue of small arms. His reply was that the patrols had used up their allotment. A bit puzzled I asked, "what were the patrols firing at?" His reply was "The trees." Interest rising, I asked, "Why were they firing at the trees?" "Because the bad guys may be hiding behind the trees" was his response. How many trees? All of them.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Is there a problem?