Whom Gods Destroy

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Had our monthly club meeting in Melbounre yesterday and brought along this scenario from the latest journal in case of an odd number of players. SS v British sponsored Greeks v communist Greeks. The three player mechanic worked really well and it was a hoot to play.
Was quite weird being fired at by one player, having the capacity to return fire but choosing not to in order to preserve his force and allow him to remain as a viable threat to who appeared the bigger threat at the time.
We recorded game at end of turn 4 so will finish in two months time - we are attending Mayhem in Manila next month.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the other 3 player in the new Journal and loved it. Looking forward to giving this one a try and the rest of your AAR.

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The three player mechanic works really well and I would love to see more of them. Awesome.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The three player mechanic works really well and I would love to see more of them. Awesome.
It's very difficult to find a situation where a 3-player scenario design can be used.
I'd love to see more 3-player scenarios as well.:cool:

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Maybe should post a thread inviting suggestions and references for scenario design inspiration?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
We finally finished our game of J171 Whom Gods Destroy yesterday. It took this long for the three of us to be in the same place at the same time again.

If you're not familiar with the scenario, it's a 3-player action that pits Germans vs. British-trained Greeks (EDES) vs. Communist Greeks (ELAS) in late '44, all fighting over ... something, I guess. I was German, Jamie Westlake was EDES and Jonathan Woodger was ELAS.

3-player scenarios are always a hoot, because it's that element of "diplomacy" that adds an interesting spin. ("Don't shoot me! Shoot him! He's the bigger threat!") As the Germans I got the bulk of my FP into the victory area early and basically dared the other two to come get me. I got a bit over-excited trying to drive the EDES away and lost a tank as a result. On the other hand the ELAS tried a frontal assault at the Germans that failed miserably. He spent the rest of the game trying a sneakier approach that largely worked fine for him. EDES tried a similar approach after seeing what happened to the ELAS, but then had the problem of ELAS being in his way. He didn't want to start an all-out assault with them because that would only strengthen my position -- but he couldn't just ignore them, either. A lot of back-and-forth then ensued.

It has to be said that my SS forces were comprised almost entirely of crack-shots who all suffered from nervous conditions. My shooting was very good, my morale checks and task checks were 100% woeful until I finally passed something around Turn 4. 8-morale guys who literally never passed anything for 3 turns were hampering my defense something fierce -- what kept me going was my ability to chop into tiny pieces anything that popped up in front of them. So I ended up doing a lot of sitting and waiting.

Particular highlights of this game were, firstly, my second tank. Like the rest of my troops his morale was highly dubious -- he never passed up on an opportunity to be stunned or shocked. However, his resilience was unquestioned. Struck by multiple ATR rounds over several turns, assaulted twice in close combat (once while shocked), he survived everything the other two forces threw at him, breaking several units regularly (thus slowing the advance of the EDES forces in particular) and eventually made his way back into the victory area daring anyone to show their faces. What a champ.

The other event of note was an "interesting" result on a stack of ELAS units -- a 10-0 commissar who had been wounded by a sniper, an 8-0 leader and three miscellaneous partisan squads -- that badly wanted to attack my Germans but couldn't quite work out how to do it without dying horribly (my main force was a Death Star consisting of 3 x 6-5-8, 2 x MMG, 1 x HMG, a 9-1 leader and a hero). So they sat in place for a long time, taking pot-shots with an ATR but otherwise too far away or too hidden to be shot at. Then some EDES forces were able to get into position to take some shots at these guys. A 1MC result and the Commissar shrugs it off -- and then the 8-0 went berserk, convincing everyone else to follow him. Down the hill they ran, cut to pieces as they came, while the Commissar sat there wondering was it something he said? Glorious.

Final result was a win to ELAS due to CVP they had picked up. However in the final turn it possible for any of the three of us to win -- if I had broken a couple of squads that I had shots at, I would have won by having a winning squad ratio; if EDES had managed to kill a couple of units, he would have won by CVP (EDES and ELAS were running neck-and-neck by that point). A really great time was had by all. Must play!

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're not familiar with the scenario, it's a 3-player action that pits Germans vs. British-trained Greeks (EDES) vs. Communist Greeks (ELAS) in late '44, all fighting over ... something, I guess.
Glad you guys had a fun game Bruce!!! I'm always happy to hear that people enjoy playing "WGD".
And, again, a big "Thankyou!!" to Chas for taking a chance on this one.
(BTW, the "something" they were fighting over is explained in the intro.)

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This scenario was a belter. All three players were in it right to the death. And the "I won't shoot at you as long as you move in the direction over there" dynamic was awesome fun. It was even more nuanced than that. On the last turn, I wanted to K/KIA an adjacent squad......generated a 1MC and since no CVP were awarded in rout phase, since I hadn't KIA'd him, I was then rooting for him to pass his 1MC. Was terrific fun.
Also - in Bruce's above-referred-to-account of the berserk stack, was funny to see the wounded commissar increase everyone's morale for their berserk TC but the unwounded 8-0 leader's leadership influenced the TCs. Seeing three partisan squads who'd heretofore sat back dowardly sniping from long range then have to charge the Death Star of all Death Stars drew lots of laughter.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris, another friend, and I playtested this one. I won because Chris and Troy (the other friend) beat up on each other enough that they couldn't do anything about me come the end of the game. That may be the strategy to win this one. Get the other two players fighting amongst themselves, then sucker-punch whoever wins that contest.

The scenario is a screaming hoot, by the way. If you haven't played it, do so.

BD