Who'd have thought Asians would win the prize?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am rarely astounded by Fox's racism. Horrified, yes, but astounded, no. Yet here we are.

I confess that I don't watch O'Reilly's show, but the Daily Show's response brought it to my attention. I think the words of Daily Show correspondent Ronny Chieng sums it up when he said, "Everyone's been wondering who would be the target of 2016's worst racism; I didn't even know Asians were in the running."

I cannot believe that "professionals" put this together and Fox aired it. It's sad that the show wasn't cancelled and everyone involved fired after airing this.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And just think, The Simpsons made fun of such overt Asian stereotypes in comedy as being beyond the pale twenty years ago! Fox, despite airing the Simpsons, apparently didn't understand the point of Krusty the Klown's "Me so sowwy" skit.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It sure is a nice morning for a troll....
Why would you care if Fox is rightly dick slapped for their racist skit?

If it makes you feel better, here's Chris Rock and "Hollywood" getting dick slapped for doing similar jokes, too:

Now, fair and balanced enough?

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Frankly I don't care all that much. Only person I can control is me. I know how I feel about racism, so that will have to do. When I see true racism, I will call bullsh*t on it, but anymore the race card is played way too often that finding the real racists and putting them down is almost impossible to do.

It's hard to give credence to anyone playing the race card that doesn't see that racism isn't limited to just white folks. When they give one side a pass then it is hard to take their concern about racism as any more than a political opportunity.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I see true racism, I will call bullsh*t on it, but anymore the race card is played way too often that finding the real racists and putting them down is almost impossible to do.
I think you are saying that people claim racism as an issue so much that it has lost meaning, but that when you see what you judge to be actual racism, you call people on it. This leads me to think that you do not view this skit as racist, nor Chris Rock's either as they are very similar at heart.

Well, I disagree. I see this as an attempt at making fun of people because of their cultural differences, and making fun of people based on mistaken beliefs (prejudice) of their cultural differences. That they also stop people who don't speak English to make fun of them is just plain crass, regardless of the racial issues with it. So, no one got hurt, but the stereotypes, crudeness and dis-respect should be enough for us to condemn the skit. And that a national news organization didn't see that is really sad.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you are saying that people claim racism as an issue so much that it has lost meaning, but that when you see what you judge to be actual racism, you call people on it. This leads me to think that you do not view this skit as racist, nor Chris Rock's either as they are very similar at heart.

Well, I disagree. I see this as an attempt at making fun of people because of their cultural differences, and making fun of people based on mistaken beliefs (prejudice) of their cultural differences. That they also stop people who don't speak English to make fun of them is just plain crass, regardless of the racial issues with it. So, no one got hurt, but the stereotypes, crudeness and dis-respect should be enough for us to condemn the skit. And that a national news organization didn't see that is really sad.
Crass, bad taste, being a dumbass all apply. Other than some sore feelings, I am not sure I would throw this into the class of racism. If they harmed them physically or economically because of their culture, sex, etc. then I have a real problem with it. Sometimes people do stupid sh*t. Does it make all of them racist - not likely - it just makes them stupid. They do it all the time, then you can start to form an opinion that they might be a racist.

Then there are other times we just have to laugh at ourselves too. For instance, many would call a movie like Blazing Saddles racist. Frankly, I think it is anything but racist.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Then there are other times we just have to laugh at ourselves too. For instance, many would call a movie like Blazing Saddles racist. Frankly, I think it is anything but racist.
"Where the white women at?"
"Excuse me while I whip this out."

Maybe not racist but definitely playing to stereotypes.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Where the white women at?"
"Excuse me while I whip this out."

Maybe not racist but definitely playing to stereotypes.
Pretty much the point....laughing at stereotypes isn't racist. It is keeping a sense of humor about it all and stop taking ourselves so damn seriously all the time.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Bill Maher, Chris Rock, Margaret Cho, Colbert and others do stuff 10 times as outrageous on a regular basis. No one is offended because it's broadly understood it's tongue-in-cheek humor.

But selective outrage is all the rage these days.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian's thread based premise is proof that the left's coalition movement to manage perception that everything conservative is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc has worked on them. The operant conditioning experiment has worked....

Pigeon sees food in basket, pigeon gets shocked, pigeon leaves food alone in basket forever....

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill Maher, Chris Rock, Margaret Cho, Colbert and others do stuff 10 times as outrageous on a regular basis. No one is offended because it's broadly understood it's tongue-in-cheek humor.

But selective outrage is all the rage these days.
True...consider that if Trump wore a baseball cap backwards...wore a bunch of gold chains/rings...had some gold caps on his teeth...he could have said everything he said and MORE with not an eye batted. H#ll, for that matter, he could have said it and gotten paid millions, received grammy's, accolades and been celebrated as an "artist".

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
True...consider that if Trump wore a baseball cap backwards...wore a bunch of gold chains/rings...had some gold caps on his teeth...he could have said everything he said and MORE with not an eye batted. H#ll, for that matter, he could have said it and gotten paid millions, received grammy's, accolades and been celebrated as an "artist".
Would you vote for any of them? -- jim

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And another example of why the racism tag has become all but meaningless....sometimes an Oreo cupcake is just an Oreo cupcake. However, the bolded sentence was an interesting perspective. It wasn't quoted so not reading too much into it, but an interesting philosophical question for sure.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/12/oregon-bakery-shop-accused-racism-over-oreo-cupcake-named-mr-president.html

A black-owned Oregon bakery is being accused of racism after selling an Oreo cupcake the named “Mr. President.”

The Oregonian reported Monday that outraged customers have been blasting the bakery on Yelp criticizing Fat Cupcake for its “Mr. President” treat. The cupcake is described as an Oreo Cookie baked inside white cake with cookies n’ cream buttercream.

“Very troubling. They were serving a cupcake called the 'Mr. President' that had an Oreo cookie inside. When I tried to point out the racism implied, they claimed that 'our current president loves Oreos,’” one Yelp reviewer wrote.

Anjelica Hayes, the owner of the Portland-based bake shop, says she is black and therefore the cupcake cannot be racist.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How do you know that? Can you point me to a campaign speech or a website where they have put forward their platform?
For the sake of argument, imagine it is. Would you vote for such a person? -- jim

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the sake of argument, imagine it is. Would you vote for such a person? -- jim
Probably not...I don't generally like one issue candidates...

Trump's platform was pretty expansive...particularly as regard the economy. If you weren't locked into the liberal media spin you would have know that already.