Who plays D&D?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Scott_Blanton said:
WOW!! Twilight 2000. 1st edition was the best. I can't remember how many times I was able to quickly calculate the penetration on vehicle shots, but could not understand a bit of calculus during the college years. 2nd edition was not bad, we ended up doing a "Red Dawn" campaign that took place on our campus. We actually built ourselves with current skills, for example we went to the archery range to "test" our skill level.

Scott
You built yourselves for an RPG? How pathetic!

Uh, we did that too. :eek: Oops! Never mind. :whist:

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whao...

Sorry to intrude.

I thought this topic was under the Advanced Squad Leader Umbrella. My bad.... :cheeky:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Images of Rambo with the explosive arrow comes to mind :laugh:
Scott_Blanton said:
WOW!! Twilight 2000. 1st edition was the best. I can't remember how many times I was able to quickly calculate the penetration on vehicle shots, but could not understand a bit of calculus during the college years. 2nd edition was not bad, we ended up doing a "Red Dawn" campaign that took place on our campus. We actually built ourselves with current skills, for example we went to the archery range to "test" our skill level.

Scott

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
PLayed D&D WAAAAYYY back, then moved onto Powers & Perils (a lot more complicated stat system and magic, but hell'a lot of fun!). Also used to play
Twilight 2000
Space Master... nothing like a Plasmatic Repeater Rifle Injury Table to enliven the evening
Call of Cthulhu
BattleTech/Mech Warrior

Now play NeverWinter Nights on the PC with a LAN

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes I would be. In fact we do d20 Weird Wars Sven Hassel with my dad... lets just say we have interesting adventures. BTW my dad has been playing since about '77 and he's tried a good portion of RPGs. Who needs Hit Points or TO HIT.... I lose Sanity Points for looking at ugly pictures.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have played near every roleplaying design worthy of mentioning.

Been playing since my early teens which was back in the dawn of the hobby.

I like scifi, but find most people really don't actually know any real science (Star Wars and Star Trek are space operas, not real science eh).

I tend to play in cliche fantasy settings, as it is not so important to retain scientific accuracy (as there is no such thing as magic after all).

I run the games as well as play in them. I prefer running them, as I get to act out all the NPCs which is always fun.

Being an adult, some wonder why I still play kid games, and my response to that is, what sort of idiot calls good fun entertainment a kid only past time in the first place?
Get back in the office you dull boring types I say :)

I currently play with a mixed group. A couple that is in their 30s, my wife and my 11 year old son. Makes for a nice sunday evening.

I do though, think the sort of style, where you get a few guys together in any age grouping, in the absence of any females, tends to get too predictably macho posturing slanted too easily.

Thanks to the d20 system being fully opened to the market, the hobby has been flooded with a swarm of manuals. Some are ok, some pure crud.
I prefer the Alternity design over all others.

Rolegaming isn't wargaming though.
I don't think they compete with each other.
They are not even similar.
But rolegaming can usually interest ANY person with a smidgen of imagination.

I have nothing remotely kind or polite to say to any of the screwed in the thinking department relgious community where rolegaming aka Dungeons and Dragons is concerned.
I will not say any further here.

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Paging All AD&D'ers, Your Forum Is Calling

No wonder you guys suck at ASL, you spend your time pretending to be more freaky than you already are.

:devil:

Isn't there an AD&D place for you people to go to? I hear that they have donuts and chips there.

:cheeky:

=Jim=

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nerds with an above average imagination, IQ and creativity, on average anyways. Same thing goes for People who play PC games more than 10 hours a week. Supposedly they spend 20 hours a week doing hobbies and being physically active in sports. Besides RPGers are born to read thick rulebooks... :D

Jim McLeod

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
BarcelonaBlom said:
Nerds with an above average imagination, IQ and creativity, on average anyways. Same thing goes for People who play PC games more than 10 hours a week. Supposedly they spend 20 hours a week doing hobbies and being physically active in sports.

Going to the fridge for more pop and chips does not constitute physical activity.

:)

BarcelonaBlom said:
Besides RPGers are born to read thick rulebooks... :D
They are also born to,

- wear tights, shiny capes and pointy shoes

- prance about at game Cons pretending that they are bats trying to suck the blood of a princess

- spend waaaaay too much time worrying about their alter-ego game characters well being and whether or not their weapons are strong enough.

Having said that, game on fellow game geek. Just don't run wailing through the ASL area of the Con.

=Jim=

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
BarcelonaBlom said:
Nerds with an above average imagination, IQ and creativity, on average anyways.

Yeah, that's what the chicks in high school liked! I couldn't beat them off with a stick. :(

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
BarcelonaBlom said:
Besides RPGers are born to read thick rulebooks... :D
I hear the chicks dig a thick rulebook! :halo:

owen36

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Jim McLeod said:
No wonder you guys suck at ASL, you spend your time pretending to be more freaky than you already are.

:devil:

Isn't there an AD&D place for you people to go to? I hear that they have donuts and chips there.

:cheeky:

=Jim=
:freak:?????

You should talk!

You play ASL.

Ehh...

Ehh..

Oops..

(looks around). :surprise:

Everbody here does.:eek:

Excuse me...

(running footsteps fading away in the distance) :D

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a difference....

I do notice traits that seem to exist in ASL players that don't exist in Roleplayers. ASL Players seem to be much more from the chess player type demeanor then anything else. Roleplayers tend to be more artisitc with a big emphasis on the unfolding story to keep them intrigued. When I go to Winter War every February all you see are Roleplayers and all I have to say is that these people really are looking for an escape in life. ASL players don't play to roleplay the command status of the OB, but look to the tactical challenge. I have to say that ASL seems to have very few "nerds" in it's ranks, but those roleplayers are a geek convention everytime. The one thing I like so much about my ASL comrades is how inteligent they are and how they overall represent so many different types of people, but rolplaying seems to have a native culture quality I don't want to be a card carrying member of.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Matt Book said:
I do notice traits that seem to exist in ASL players that don't exist in Roleplayers. ASL Players seem to be much more from the chess player type demeanor then anything else. Roleplayers tend to be more artisitc with a big emphasis on the unfolding story to keep them intrigued. When I go to Winter War every February all you see are Roleplayers and all I have to say is that these people really are looking for an escape in life. ASL players don't play to roleplay the command status of the OB, but look to the tactical challenge. I have to say that ASL seems to have very few "nerds" in it's ranks, but those roleplayers are a geek convention everytime. The one thing I like so much about my ASL comrades is how inteligent they are and how they overall represent so many different types of people, but rolplaying seems to have a native culture quality I don't want to be a card carrying member of.
My first convention wasn't until Origins in Ft Worth 1993. The Europafest room was right next to the LARP Vampire rooms. When my wife and I walked in there Winston Hamilton said they thought I had just gone into the wrong room. I guess I have the RPG look instead. :nuts:

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand what you say but most of the people that I actually like to roleplay with are also wargamers... so we have too much in common. C'mon I bet if I ran a Weird Wars in anyone else's group I'd be way to precise in my adventures and wouldn't re-hash Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, and if I did I'd do it right. I once heard that through some reasoning (maybe magic?), a kid ran a D-Day campaign that had Tiger Is rumbling about the beaches... Guess Rommel got his wish.

Believe me there is Roleplaying and then there is outright geekiness. I think there are a lot of cliches going into this thing. Besides I *know* from experience that being a wargamer is no better than being a roleplayer in mainstream society and I'm both. I honestly tell people what I do for hobbies when they ask, if they don't like it tough.

Last edited:

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SoD said:
Anyway, who among us plays D&D? I play twice a week with perhaps one game of ASL once per month.

Also, whats your favorite world to play in? And yes Ron, I know it must be Greyhawk for you. But I prefer Frogotten Realms, an Awesome world indeed.

Scott
Played an afternoon of 3.5 D&D yesterday, I'm running a group of people (5 yesterday, sometimes as much as 9) through The World's Largest Dungeon as our regular DM is taking a break.

We play about every other Sunday afternoon.

Have been mostly playing in our DM's persistant world for years now, a farily typical fantasy world, with perhaps a bit more politics thrown in, and the sanity aspect/rules from D20 Call of Cthulhu thrown in.

- Chad

McFinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played D&D back in the day, as well as SL.
Time moved on and I gave up D&D for GURPS (better system IMHO) and gave up SL for ASL.
I moved 3 years ago and stopped playing GURPS (could not find local players)
Discovered VASL a few months ago and have dusted off the old ASL rulebook and have started playing again. ASL looks like it's going to get the lionshare of my limited gaming time in the future.

imars

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
D&D

I picked up D&D in the late 70's about the same time I was watching my brother play SL. At the time I was in to War at Sea and Starship Troopers (having just read the book).

From D&D I branched out into Gamma World, then had flings with various systems: Role Master, Dragonslayer, Rune Quest, Traveller, etc.

Once college I experimented with Champions. During my year abroad in Germany, I was in a great group which played Dragonlance, Elric, and a home grown system. I also experimented with Toon. Since then I have only had a few spurts of playing.

As other have said, I have been a wargamer in parallel. Once I hit college though I could never find anyone to play with regularly. Only once I started playing ASL was I able to play regularly again, though the last 3 years, I have only been able to play in fits and starts.

-michael