Who is your favorite American football player of all time

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Let's hear it. Who is your favorite and why?
Terry Bradshaw :coolban:

Started watching football with SB XIII. Favorite team was the Steelers. He was a La boy and went to LaTech.

Favre & Brady are close favorites. Also, Walter Payton & Bert Jones for old timers.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
#19.....Grandfather was a rabid Colts fan, caught the bug early.

Followed closely by Staubach, Nitschke, and E. Smith. Class, Tough, and Classy toughness.

Last edited:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Francis Asbury Tarkenton.

As a lad, he was my favorite and it's hard to give up on childhood heroes. Never won the Big One but was sure fun to watch. (and I'm not talking about watching That's Incredible!)
Born in Minneapolis so the Vikings were my favorite team; purple was the coolest color, too, and who wouldn't want to be a Viking as a young Norwegian-American?
Silly reasons but since you asked that's it.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
College

Tommie Frazier
Barry Sanders
Reggie Bush
Earl Campbell

Pro

Stabler
Staubach
Franco Harris

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Dracula in cleats.

View attachment 34958

Jack Lambert was one of the most feared players of all time.

[video=youtube;q3RQ_xhLK-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3RQ_xhLK-4[/video]

[video=youtube;eoqdpg_Q7Us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoqdpg_Q7Us[/video]

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ronnie Lott.
Watched him turn three games arounbd by putting a huge hit on the opponents and firing up the whole team like that.

[video=youtube;VVKVHvMJKT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKVHvMJKT8[/video]

Last edited:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tough one.

Gun ot my head: Joe Klecko Loved the New York sack Exchange - but Gastineau is/was an ass.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Those guys are all good players, but they did not revolutionize their positions like this man:

[video=youtube;kWo4KTOcHS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWo4KTOcHS0&feature=related[/video]

The other was Deion Sanders. NFL network did a story on the top 10 QB tandems of all time. The #1 pairing was Sanders and Merton Hanks, but #4 was Sanders and anyone. Sanders was that good. Both of those players redefined their positions for generations to come. Without LT, left tackles are just another lineman. That's influence. -- jim

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Those guys are all good players, but they did not revolutionize their positions like this man:

[video=youtube;kWo4KTOcHS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWo4KTOcHS0&feature=related[/video]

The other was Deion Sanders. NFL network did a story on the top 10 QB tandems of all time. The #1 pairing was Sanders and Merton Hanks, but #4 was Sanders and anyone. Sanders was that good. Both of those players redefined their positions for generations to come. Without LT, left tackles are just another lineman. That's influence. -- jim
Agreed on LT's changing the game. How about Bob Hayes? He changed the game as well. Deion could cover anybody but when it came to tackling I don't think he could tackle my mom. :nada:

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LT, Lambert, Lott....

Butkus would eat'em alive and scatter their bones around his cave. :p

[video=youtube;0xuOHtxg4WU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xuOHtxg4WU[/video]

"Why'd we rate Butkus #1 most feared tackler of all time? Because we couldn't rate him any higher."

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
John Riggins.

We got to see an hour of NFL highlights in the UK each week starting in '81 and the Redskins played and won the first Superbowl we saw (the first whole live game they showed here). Riggins and the Hogs were on TV most weeks for the following season as well. For most Brits, the NFL prior to '81 just didn't exist.

Also have fond memories of LT, Montana, Young, Elway, Roger Craig, Favre.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No question LT revoltionized football - but my favorite? No way - really ahrd guy to root for. Same thing with Deon. Greta players, - tough to call them "favorites".

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Johnny U.

I have a copy of the first contract he signed with the Colts, for $7,000/year.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No question LT revoltionized football - but my favorite? No way - really ahrd guy to root for. Same thing with Deon. Greta players, - tough to call them "favorites".
Yeah well... I know he's demonised in the US but what he did with the young prostitute isn't even a crime here so....

I recall watching the highlights of an NFL game against the Cowboys around '88 or '89. LT was hamstrung and really limping around between plays. Every time the 'Pokes rushed he was there tackling the ball carrier, albeit a yard or two deeper than if he'd been fit.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The fact that you hated them is how you know they were greats. I hated John Riggins. I hate Tom Brady. -- jim