Who is the world's worst ASL player of all time?

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What kind of thread is this? :wtf:
Do you want to have people pointing fingers at others who might not be happy with their performance?

Maybe we could extend this thread asking for the most self-advertising ASLer, the fattest ASLer, etc.?

von Marwitz
Humor is sometimes a lost art...

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the worst ASL player is someone who by all measures; like a student of WW2, or a gamer in other eras, would like ASL, but never tries it.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As Perry stated, it requires a lot of data over a long period of time to know for sure. Because of that, the worst or greatest can only exist within a certain paradigm; an event or location for example where a pattern can be accurately recorded; events (including repeats of same) and locations (my place for example) can each have the worst & greatest player to ever play there, but that player may not be the worst or greatest when compared with other events and places.

So, if Perry is right (and I believe him to be), then there is no such thing as the worst or greatest player, of all time! This topic, like the "Who is the world's greatest ASL player of all time" topic, is misleading and is in fact a false question.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was when I started, probably many of us were. Stay the course learn from your mistakes and we all get better.:nod:

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I don't think I am a bad player but the results of recent games would suggest otherwise. I believe that random die rolls as advertised in VASL are a fallacy. My rolls are shit and my opponents are just better rollers. I am in a span now of three games, where my opponent has killed every tank of mine he has fired at with another tank, 11 straight times, 11 dead tanks! I will blame the dice. If you can't roll, you can't win. My dice simply do not execute when called upon. If this keeps up, I will go back to the dice cam and rolling live.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am in a span now of three games, where my opponent has killed every tank of mine he has fired at with another tank, 11 straight times, 11 dead tanks! .
It can be hard to fend off those Matildas with their 40L guns with your Italian crap.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Well, I don't think I am a bad player but the results of recent games would suggest otherwise. I believe that random die rolls as advertised in VASL are a fallacy. My rolls are shit and my opponents are just better rollers. I am in a span now of three games, where my opponent has killed every tank of mine he has fired at with another tank, 11 straight times, 11 dead tanks! I will blame the dice. If you can't roll, you can't win. My dice simply do not execute when called upon. If this keeps up, I will go back to the dice cam and rolling live.
Dice ruin an otherwise good game. :)

In all honesty, I know dice are what separates the game from Chess or Go. If I were designing ASL, I would make both players roll for every attack. If the dice "even out" then more rolls are better than fewer. If I can gack my attack, you can still gack your result. So now my 12 on a 6 -2 can still see you roll a 12 on the 4 in your favor MC and break. To me, it's not the randomness, it's the wild swings of randomness. My 6 -2 sees you Battle Harden, generate a Hero, triggers a SAN, SAN flies off and hits my best leader, breaks the whole stack on the LLMC and you're sitting there with 3 MF's left. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What were the drm’s on those 11 DR’s?
Let's recap, WCW 4, Cat Becomes the Mouse , 3-dead Cromwell's, all hit and killed while in wooden buildings (+2) and some moving out, another +2. A HIP 6# struck in a wooden building and the crew broken. I had a Firefly, who got one shot off (did Kill a Tiger) and is instantly killed by another Tiger. All my units where fired on "once" and destroyed. No second chances.

DB7 Hill 920. A lone Panther with a 9-2, 4- 1/2 squads with 3 Pf's are assaulted by 9x T-34's. Again, 4x T-34's eliminated by a Panther who doesn't miss a single shot, through some burning hexes and at mostly moving targets. Now 2 of 3 Pf's hit, moving tanks, 2x more dead T-34's. Game over. That's 8 dead tanks, killed on one shot from another tank over two games plus two tanks killed with 3x Pf's. Ten dead tanks on 11 shots.

Started J24 Smashing the 3rd today. My ? T-34 fire's fires hit's a Pz IVH and rolls an 11 on a TK of 6. Pv IVH returns fire, hits, and rolls 4 on a 6 TK roll, NO SURPRISE!

That folks is a rant and a true story of 11 dead tanks, killed on 12 shot's. That's a 91.6% kill rate. Some day I will meet Random.org and when I do he might randomly catch an ear punch.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The worst ASL player is the one who takes 20 minutes to move a meaningless HS in the back; argues both sides of a rule depending on which way serves him at the moment; cries about his luck incessantly; and finds any number of ways to suck the joy out of the experience. It has nothing to do with how well they play or wins and losses. JMHO...
Steve

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
To me, it's not the randomness, it's the wild swings of randomness. My 6 -2 sees you Battle Harden, generate a Hero, triggers a SAN, SAN flies off and hits my best leader, breaks the whole stack on the LLMC and you're sitting there with 3 MF's left. JMO, YMMV. -- jim
To me, this is what separates ASL from most games. I love the randomness and the story a game tells. yes sometimes you are on the crappy end, but I still (after the dust settles) find it fun. I do not mind the wild swings. What I hate is a game full of rolling 9's.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
The worst ASL player is the one who takes 20 minutes to move a meaningless HS in the back; argues both sides of a rule depending on which way serves him at the moment; cries about his luck incessantly; and finds any number of ways to suck the joy out of the experience. It has nothing to do with how well they play or wins and losses. JMHO...
Steve
This....... though I have had few opponents like this.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I try not to judge all that strongly. I do not take it too seriously and I realize that is not how everyone wants to play. I use ASL as an escape from the real world as well as a social experience, not a deep tactical study that I know a lot of people are looking for.

Peace

Roger

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dice ruin an otherwise good game. :)

To me, it's not the randomness, it's the wild swings of randomness [that ruin the game].
And yet the same players top the leader board year after year.

Wild swings of randomness certainly test a player's resolve. We routinely face Personal Morale Checks (PMC), sometimes at several points during a scenario. My more memorable and rewarding games have been those where I have won (or come close to winning) when I have been on the receiving end of a randomness train wreck. More often than not, I never recover from a string of devastatingly "bad luck" (especially those that compound earlier mistakes on my part.)

Top players either are singularly lucky, or they are ingenious in the face of run-on randomness. I'm leaning toward the latter.

-----------
That said, I think that certain chains of luck/unluck could be mitigated with some minor changes to the rules (e.g. by decoupling ROF from low rolls, adopting the Pleva OBA rule, etc.). Not that any of this would make me a better (or worse) player.