Who is the world's worst ASL player of all time?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Random distributions are splotchy. Given a hundred dice rolls, it's actually unlikely they would align perfectly with the bell curve.
Yet if you look at that splotchiness over different experiments, it too forms a bell curve.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yet if you look at that splotchiness over different experiments, it too forms a bell curve.

JR
Yes, do try to keep up there old chap. See post 80. Now you have to re-cycle my stuff too. Still I take it as a compliment.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The past is not a good predictor of the future when it comes to random events. In other words, we don't know who is going to be at the edge of the bell curve until after we make our gaming decisions...
Steve
And yet, someone still has to be on the left. It is the sound of inevitability Mr. Anderson. -- jim

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quantum ASL. Observing the dice collapses the wave function.
I knew it was those neutrinos!!!! Steve needs to design a sub-atomic particle impact- shielded dice tower or precision dice will never be truly "precise". ;)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quantum ASL. Observing the dice collapses the wave function.
Of course this means you could theoretically predict the future, or at least where and at what point and in what parameters the dice cube is going to fall, all it takes is the near-approach of lightspeed via acceleration and an understanding that that the linear constant is going to warp away from its nominal value at a corresponding inverse proportion to the accuracy of the point at which you are focusing the terminal upon. So if all you desire is a <=4 DR, your ability to predict it into the future only requires approaching near light speed and finding the terminal range that will produce this- then guiding the impact to that range, rather than a single point of reference, which is theoretically impossible. It appears when we accelerate matter - like a 6 sided die for instance- to that speed, it tends to shift via space-time curves into an after image of itself, as precisely formed as its own surface Since that is the case, we only need to accelerate one die to this speed and look for the terminal range of <=2 to achieve a DR image at terminus <=4, best there, every hit is either a critical hit or a multiple hit. :).

So we need to modify the design parameters for Steve's new dice tower - Steve, it needs to accelerate the single die to near light speeds, and contain a xenon/argon gas charged impact screen so we can see the images of both the matter (die) and its after image twin. : - Quantum ASL can:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I knew it was those neutrinos!!!! Steve needs to design a sub-atomic particle impact- shielded dice tower or precision dice will never be truly "precise". ;)
Uh-oh!

Now you've done it...

I already hear people complain that the new ultimate quantum dice are able to display various results at the same time as soon as you look at them.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course this means you could theoretically predict the future, or at least where and at what point and in what parameters the dice cube is going to fall, all it takes is the near-approach of lightspeed via acceleration and an understanding that that the linear constant is going to warp away from its nominal value at a corresponding inverse proportion to the accuracy of the point at which you are focusing the terminal upon.
This from the guy who said "Never trust doctors".

Go back to ground-pounding, Devil Dog. Leave the big words to the, uh, Big Word People.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Rolling dice is independent, not Markov (unless, of course, your dice either aren't balanced or they are cursed :D).
That question has not been settled. You roll a DR that gives X & Y on the dice. You pick them up and manipulate them with your fingers and roll into a box/on the table or drop them into your dice tower. So how do you know that the initial position plus manipulation does not determine the next result. You might have some joy at your previous result and apply more gentle manipulation or be enraged and fire the dice hard. At the quantum level, as far as we know, things are truly random, though when scaled up to our human level they appear deterministic, your bell curve of, say position, gets razor thin.

So say you have a die with a "2" up and the "6" facing north after a roll. After a second roll you get a "6". If the original roll gave a "1" and you applied the exact same manipulation then you would expect a "2" from the second. So while we might find such a calculation extremely, extremely difficult (initial position, orientation, muscle force, point of release into tower, etc) and thus apparently random, at the macro, everyday level the result is solidly deterministic. For true randomness you need a process like radioactive decay or circuit thermal noise as these make quantum randomness visible/usable.

I am more in the Eternalism than the Presentism school of thought.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rolling dice is independent, not Markov (unless, of course, your dice either aren't balanced or they are cursed :D).
we could just load a 155 shell with d6's and fire them on a pre-assigned grid square, then take the resulting die in sequence top to bottom, left to right, across the impact area :). Of course, that means cannon cokcers get an inherent advantage - but hey, cannon-cockers deserve an inherent advantage .. :D

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With entangled quantum dice you could do away with the VASL dice roller
Of course this means you could theoretically predict the future, or at least where and at what point and in what parameters the dice cube is going to fall, all it takes is the near-approach of lightspeed via acceleration and an understanding that that the linear constant is going to warp away from its nominal value at a corresponding inverse proportion to the accuracy of the point at which you are focusing the terminal upon. So if all you desire is a <=4 DR, your ability to predict it into the future only requires approaching near light speed and finding the terminal range that will produce this- then guiding the impact to that range, rather than a single point of reference, which is theoretically impossible. It appears when we accelerate matter - like a 6 sided die for instance- to that speed, it tends to shift via space-time curves into an after image of itself, as precisely formed as its own surface Since that is the case, we only need to accelerate one die to this speed and look for the terminal range of <=2 to achieve a DR image at terminus <=4, best there, every hit is either a critical hit or a multiple hit. :).

So we need to modify the design parameters for Steve's new dice tower - Steve, it needs to accelerate the single die to near light speeds, and contain a xenon/argon gas charged impact screen so we can see the images of both the matter (die) and its after image twin.
Couldn't have said it better myself except with quantum entangled dice it's all automatic and your opponent can be anywhere in the universe although I guess you'd need Dirac transmitters and receivers for the board images.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Even among the "lucky" there has to be a bell curve. That's simple math. ;) -- jim
If say Steve Pleva was a SIx Sigma man on the upside, about 1 in 588,000 of the population, and he had played 100 games a year for 32 years with 100 DR per game then ..

His DR might be about 0.015 better than the average punter, I think this is no way sufficient to explain the game results seen as being due to being luckier, it being equivalent to getting
a +1 on the dice one in every sixty six rolls, say 4 times in every 3 games.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With entangled quantum dice you could do away with the VASL dice roller

Couldn't have said it better myself except with quantum entangled dice it's all automatic and your opponent can be anywhere in the universe although I guess you'd need Dirac transmitters and receivers for the board images.
the scary part is you can find most of that theorem in Stephen Hawking's Universe in a Nutshell, beginning around Chapter 11 and 12 or so. :). The rest was extrapolated by Michio Kaku in 2016 in his book Hyperspace.

I used both and some papers from Kip Thorne's research into possibilities of time travel to illustrate a viable support structure that the results of the 2016 LHC and 2017 SLA sub-atomic particle impact testing showed a distinct veracity to the theory of simultaneous displacement (being at two varied points in the space-time continuum simultaneously). The trajectory is the main issue, you need to aim for a range, not a terminus in space-time. Once you accept this fluctuating variability- it becomes theoretically possible to do the same thing with multi-molecular structures as it is observed occurring with sub-atomic particles. The mass is a direct correlation to the expanse of that variable terminal range. (Increase mass, increase range).

To move a human, theoretically possible over a wide terminal range. To move an organ, say one pre-cancerous to a point where it has become post-cancerous - a much smaller terminal range. Targeting may need some practice - but substantially, it is feasible to theoretically accelerate a single cell of a pre-cancerous liver harvested from a then-healthy patient and placed into cryo-stasis, to a point in the future where it becomes obvious the same liver (or another organ) is now cancerous - then use stem cells to re-grow a new, healthy, genetically identical liver for transplant into the donor patient. If the stem cells are also harvested from the patient while still in a fetal development stage, rejection of the donor organ is 100% ruled out and cannot occur, for it is the donor's own genetically identical organ.

The problems:
1. Technology to accurately track transit through time to specific range, needed at some point in the future while the donor is actually cancerous.
2. cryostasis long term storage of harvested cells for future time travel and donor use.
3. Bioethics of the entire process.

:)

But it is theoretically plausible and possible with current levels of human understanding of cosmology.

:D

What we need to do to adapt it to ASL use is simple in retrospect.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have frequently stopped firing after getting rate a couple times because I was worried that fickle fate was going to turn on me and I would malf. Of course by then I had broken all the targets in los.