Who is the world's worst ASL player of all time?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those associated with the Catholic Church declared the world was flat. Science was immaterial to that determination by Papal decree. Remember that your medical doctor is a scientist. If you don't trust them stop going to them when you get sick or find a faith healer.
I hate doctors- I'm alive because of many of them, true, but it doesn't mean I have to LIKE them :).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those associated with the Catholic Church declared the world was flat. Science was immaterial to that determination by Papal decree. Remember that your medical doctor is a scientist. If you don't trust them stop going to them when you get sick or find a faith healer.
Those associated with Ancient Greece determined the earth was round, long before the Catholic Church ever existed to decree anything... didn't stop or change anything at all, facts are merely inconveniences.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The worst ASL player is the one who takes 20 minutes to move a meaningless HS in the back; argues both sides of a rule depending on which way serves him at the moment; cries about his luck incessantly; and finds any number of ways to suck the joy out of the experience. It has nothing to do with how well they play or wins and losses. JMHO...
Steve
I agree slow players suck the fun out of playing, saw one guy reading a book whilst waiting on the other guys deliberations, he eventually stood up and said the game is yours I cannot stand waiting any longer. The game had started late afternoon and it was after midnight when it came to much .

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Research on ‘Luck’ has shown that people who believe they are lucky more often have results that are positive than people who believe they are unlucky.
The research points to the willingness to take more risky options tends to be a characteristic of the ‘lucky’ behavior, while the ‘unlucky’ behavior tends to spiral into increasingly conservative choices.
This is measurable and the p-value (0.0235) for the data indicated a significant difference in the results of such behavior based on the belief of self as being Lucky or Unlucky.

Morale of the story is that it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That’s why they call me snake-eyes, “don’t stop believen hold on to that feeling”

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Research on ‘Luck’ has shown that people who believe they are lucky more often have results that are positive than people who believe they are unlucky.
The research points to the willingness to take more risky options tends to be a characteristic of the ‘lucky’ behavior, while the ‘unlucky’ behavior tends to spiral into increasingly conservative choices.
This is measurable and the p-value (0.0235) for the data indicated a significant difference in the results of such behavior based on the belief of self as being Lucky or Unlucky.

Morale of the story is that it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.
And how long have you been telling Jim this :)

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even among the "lucky" there has to be a bell curve. That's simple math. ;) -- jim
Elements of chance have no "memory". That means the next event is not influenced by someone's past "luckiness" or "unluckiness". As Fort points out, one can't let past anomalies influence our current decision cycle (positively or negatively). This is a an important lesson for all players, IMHO...
Steve

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Elements of chance have no "memory". That means the next event is not influenced by someone's past "luckiness" or "unluckiness". As Fort points out, one can't let past anomalies influence our current decision cycle (positively or negatively). This is a an important lesson for all players, IMHO...
Steve
Indeed. There is no such thing as using up one's luck or bad luck. If you just rolled a couple of boxcars, there is no reason to believe that no more are to follow. The chance is 1:36 for any (single) DR roll you make.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My dice remember. They remember that I just rolled a two, because I'm going to roll a twelve next. And they remember that I've just rolled a twelve, because I'm going to roll a twelve next. They remember all right. I wish I could train them to remember symmetrically.

JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Steve
Sure, and still, by random chance, someone is STILL the left edge of the bell curve. It has to happen. That's the consequence of a normal distribution. :) -- jim

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, and still, by random chance, someone is STILL the left edge of the bell curve. It has to happen. That's the consequence of a normal distribution. :) -- jim
The past is not a good predictor of the future when it comes to random events. In other words, we don't know who is going to be at the edge of the bell curve until after we make our gaming decisions...
Steve

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The past is not a good predictor of the future when it comes to random events. In other words, we don't know who is going to be at the edge of the bell curve until after we make our gaming decisions...
Steve
Pretty sure I'm on the side of the curve that consistently rolls above a 7 or above an 8 with Elite troops!:eek::facepalm:

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Random distributions are splotchy. Given a hundred dice rolls, it's actually unlikely they would align perfectly with the bell curve.