Who is the greatest ASL player of all time?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I know we're supposed to be in it for the love of the game, manly comradeship, keeping history alive e.t.c While those are factors I certainly enjoy being childishly competitive.

But who is ASL's greatest player in its entire 33 year history? And I mean player, not the person who designed the best scenario or invented a tactical revolution by skulking, or made the best product or who got the most likes in the ASL yearbook.

Who is/was the best player of the game? Now there are a number of metrics you could use - AREA ratings e.t.c but for me it really has to come down to tournament wins. With certain tournaments having more weight than others. The ASLOK Grofaz may well be the premier crown as it has the largest number of competitors - although I hear the field for Albany is very tough. Others I don't really know. I think its safe to say that it's an American (although that George Tournemire certainly seems to get around). But which American I have no idea. They may have already passed their peak - we're all getting older - or even God forbid stopped playing.

I've heard the names Bob Bendis, Fort, Steve Pleva, Mike McGrath - but does anyone have stats? Who has won the ASLOK Grofaz the most times? and what is the relative weighting of the main tournaments?

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well that seems to be Steve Pleva - with Mike McGrath second, although the latter won 8 times in 12 years which is pretty phenomenal - so maybe at his peak he was better. I have no idea. Maybe its more impressive to win in 1988 and then in 2018 with some in between as it must be hard to maintain the desire for that length of time. But who has won the other tournaments?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Fish, McGrath, Pleva. One of the best you probably never heard of is Andy Robin. You should see the list of people Andy beat to win Albany. -- jim

Toby Pilling is damn good too. I wonder how the usual suspects would do in Albany if us Yanks were flying instead.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, I think I am 8-8 versus McGrath. He won more at ASLOK and I won more at other tournaments. They were usually good matches, but there were several blowouts as well. Good times...
Steve
In my informed opinion:

I think you can start and finish with two names, Mike McGrath and Steve Pleva.

Best player of all time is a toss-up, but I would go with McGrath for beating Pleva more often at ASLOk.

Greatest player of all time in my opinion is Steve Pleva, for sustained excellence over 30 years in multiple venues with bonus points for contributions to the hobby.

If your mileage varies, check your odometer.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm withholding my vote until I hear what, uh, "incentives" are being offered.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
...but for me it really has to come down to tournament wins. With certain tournaments having more weight than others.
Have won 34 tournaments /gatherings (of 72) in conditions filled with many skilled Scandinavian players, used to give my opponents some bizarre advantages to spice up the competition (fall asleep over the gaming table with counters stucked to my face is one of the strangest moment, not sure? waking up, if I had won or not, lol).

Never have a non-Swede won the Stockholm Tournament, many have tried, but like I always have said, the skill level is above any tournament I know of. You are seldom offered a free ride or go, with the scenario selection and/or opponent.

Once I and my friend went to Europe as the only Scandinavians and quite easily we ended up in the final round among the many non-Scandinavian players. We played Dying For Danzig - among his favourite scenarios.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
BTW, I think I am 8-8 versus McGrath. He won more at ASLOK and I won more at other tournaments. They were usually good matches, but there were several blowouts as well. Good times...
Steve
I like the Andy Robin story. No one knew who he was, comes out, faces a murderers row of ASL players, and wins it all. Who knows how many great ASL players are "off the grid" out there. -- jim

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jay Harms must be a pretty good player he has won the Texas Hat game contest 16 times, I never played him but I know the first 2 holders of the hat and they are great players.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my informed opinion:

I think you can start and finish with two names, Mike McGrath and Steve Pleva.

Best player of all time is a toss-up, but I would go with McGrath for beating Pleva more often at ASLOk.

Greatest player of all time in my opinion is Steve Pleva, for sustained excellence over 30 years in multiple venues with bonus points for contributions to the hobby.

If your mileage varies, check your odometer.
Ditto. Word for word. Couldn't say it better myself.

Fortenberry would be on my Mount Rushmore. Lots of players would contend for my fourth spot with possibly Fish getting the nod for all his early achievements.

If Andy Robin is also known as Andrew or Drew Robin, then we go way back to the AvalonCon days where we played barnburners two years in a row. An excellent player, so I wouldn't say he came outta nowhere.