Who here goes to the battlefront forums?

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've gone to check out these forums every now and then, and find them both interesting and... wierd. There are some strong personalities in the mix over there...

Are the majority of the people who visit and post on these boards battlefront playtesters?

Cheers!

Leto

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read them once a day. The shift in the people posting happened shortly after CMSF's release. The most numerous and frequent posting does seem to now be testers. CM1 forums had a pretty good strata from noobs, to veterans, to grogs, to a few people partially associated with BFC (testers, etc.). Now in CMSF you see a lot more representation of the testers, a some noobs, a few fans, ex military, and very few of the grogs. It seems Steve is delighted with that mix.

IMO, you have a hard time finding any threads with out testers being a significant presence, good or bad.

edit: I should say recent ex-military or current military.

Last edited:

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Me.

The best thread over there is about...well, you'd never think...is about 80mm Stug fronts and 76mm Russian guns. Really.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I was really only talking about the CMSF boards. Those still seem very focused on issues with the game. The CM1 boards still have good historical and groggy discussions.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem is that there is a very selective crowd there now.

More so that on other vendor's forums there is a pack there that defends whatever happens to be in game to be in real life, no matter how absurd and how easy to be proven wrong. Huntarr seems to be the current king.

Steve also gets worse in his speeches not only as in defending whatever is in BFCs games, but as in trying to word his postings so that the game appears more sophisticated and complex than it is.

The 80mm StuG front thread is good, but I saved about 5 of those (with the same people arguing :)) already since 2003.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After I bought CM I ventured there a bit, but the depth of cow manure and lack of civility even from the Mods still make it a hollow site as far as I'm concerned. I expected much more from the official forum of the game & let them know, but apparently they think impoliteness = good business. :crosseye:

The only times I've been back there in the past 4-5 years (which is rare) is if someone here posts a link to a specific thread that sounds mildly interesting. :hmmm:

If I'm looking for game information I am interested in (even official info) I can find it posted at other worthwhile sites; I took BFC off my favorites list way back when.

Now, as long as I can get in & out quickly without touching or catching anything I'll click the link. :paperbag:

:clown:

Last edited:

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
curiously, care to tell us about that? :)
Broadly speaking, in the game certain Stug variants (50+30mm front) are impenetrable by the std 76mm T34 gun. Which is the biggest realism gap in the game, because in real life they weren't invulnerable within 500 meters.

Though I vividly remember losing a 80mm stug in a duel to a SU-76 (internal flaking-crew panic-crew abandons vehicle).

The debate is partly about the general undermodelling of Russian AT weapons.

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I saw the russian armor vs StuG debate. This one is very circular and never ending.

I don't get all horned up about rigid historical accuracy debates... it's a game, I deal with it in the way I play... and bar none, CM has the best overall package of reproducing these type of small unit tactics as any game ever has (and maybe ever will).

I too am nonplussed at the culture of those boards. Quite a few silly billys crowing on fenceposts for me, and not enough goofiness.

Cheers!

Leto

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
[hirr]Leto;1064172 said:
I don't get all horned up about rigid historical accuracy debates... it's a game, I deal with it in the way I play... and bar none, CM has the best overall package of reproducing these type of small unit tactics as any game ever has (and maybe ever will).
I agree completely. The task is to win engagements with CM-Tanks against CM-Stugs. The overall balance is ok anyway. But it's good to know how the modeling could be improved.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
ah, thanks, Kineas, ... I c. perhaps, they tuned down russian AT values just for the overall balance. You know, even with this tuned down AT, most of the experienced players still prefer Russian side in general. (In BB, that is)

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
I pop over to the BF boards now and then. The last posting I made was concerning the future release of the CMx2 Normandy game. Everyone there seemed so excited about the forthcoming release but I risked getting jumped upon by the fan boys there by pointing out that I hoped the new WW2 game would not be released in the same state as CMSF. It did bring forth a sarky response from a play tester and much giggling from the spotty youths. I even managed to get Steve to respond in a roundabout way :)
I just hope this WW2 Normandy game proves to be good as they are saying :laugh:

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think I have ever seen as many requests for save games as on the CMSF forum lately.

Interesting point is that a lot of the beta testers complain when someone finds a problem and no save game is presented as proof. Well for a lot of those same testers lavishing praise on RT play, they seem to not realize that you can't save a multiplayer TCP game.

Nemesis Lead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seemed that those forums were dead for a time, but I went there today and they appear to be back!

Nonetheless--too many fights in those forums. I don't go.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It used to be a really busy forum; the General Forum used to turn over the first two pages of posts daily. There are currently a week's worth of posts on page 1 right now - they go back to October 10th. That's 7 days. Not that GS is setting records, but it says a lot about how membership declined there. It wasn't great quality all the time; some of it was just general news posts, sometimes, by wbs, or conspiracy stuff by John Kettler, who still posts, but at one time there was a lot of general interest military history/news/life stuff flying about to fill two pages a day. Just in the GF. CM:SF really zapped the place. I think the embargo on political talk slowed it down a bit, but not much. And the poor showing of the other games hasn't helped; the games that have been successful like SC or Tac Ops - their fans seem to stay in their own forums and talk about the games more (strange concept, I know). Even the CM:SF crowd seems to stay in the CM:SF forum. I think the two purges of the GF kind of showed a huge disrespect to the fans there too, and made a lot of people feel unwelcome and may have contributed to a reluctance to bother. This is all conjecture.

As one of the beta testers who at one time was active in the CM:SF forum, I know I contributed to the hostile atmosphere at one time towards critics of the game. Given how my opinion has changed towards the final product, I am certainly not proud of that period and can relate to people's feelings towards the continued tradition of beta tester conduct. But they're not all like that - some are respectful and helpful and I think there has been a trend to be more engaging. It's kind of hit or miss. The most helpful people there have been Schrullenhaft, who knows all there is to know about tech issues, and KwazyDog, who is on staff as the 3D modeller and artist who I've yet to see be anything but polite with anyone no matter how thoroughly repellent they've acted towards him in return.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As you can tell from my other posts, I visit frequently, but rarely post there anymore.

The CM x 1 and CMC sections of th forum are all but dead.

The CMSF section strikes me as frequently being Steve's Pravda ("the truth"). No doubt the way Steve "addressed" very real game problems in the last 15 months and the way he and some of the beta bunnies treated customers are factors in the reduced traffic from the old days.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seemed that those forums were dead for a time, but I went there today and they appear to be back!

Nonetheless--too many fights in those forums. I don't go.
That's because we are directly after a release (Marines). It was pretty dead before and will soon be.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I visit every couple of days, I posted yesterday. However, I have always felt that the BF forum was controlled by an in crowd and saw their forum as a fiefdom of some kind. This hasnt changed much. Dare to question the new in crowd and you will be soundly picked upon. Its not a very interesting place to go anymore.