Which would you prefer MMP focus on--core, HASLs, or post-Korea?

Which would you prefer MMP focus on--core, HASLs, or post-Korea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
My choices:
Reprint three core modules (excluding BV which, like rulebook, should always be "in stock") over an average of two years.
Print a new HASL / reprint an old HASL every other year (includes DASL modules).
Pre 1939 / post 1953 modules every three or four years.
Print Journal, Winter Offense pack, and Action Pack every year.
YMMV
so where are the 100 people working on all this?! It takes 5-15 years to get a HASL completed alone. I think you need more mileage.

I rather have new stuff (pre-1939, WW2, post-1949) over reprints. I like MMP's approach of consolidating old AH modules together and hopefully once that entire process is completed, small batches of reprints can be put out in greater frequency for new players.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
so where are the 100 people working on all this?! It takes 5-15 years to get a HASL completed alone. I think you need more mileage.
It is the same 100 people working on them now, designers, developers, playtesters. I figure that re-edits and revamp of older HASLs would take less time than a new HASLs to produce. By reprinting an older HASL, the new players can look forward to buying them from MMP at reasonable prices, unlike what happens on E(xtortion)bay. Maybe adjust the time frame to publish a HASL every third year.

I rather have new stuff (pre-1939, WW2, post-1949) over reprints. I like MMP's approach of consolidating old AH modules together and hopefully once that entire process is completed, small batches of reprints can be put out in greater frequency for new players.
I agree that consolidating old AH modules with the addition of older CGs based on those modules / theaters is a good idea and reprints can supply new players with needed modules. Once that is done it would free time, resources and $$$ for design, development and production of new (pre-1939, WW2, post-1949) stuff.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
None of the above, with a slight nod to the Hatten's and Singling's out there. I would be happy with AP's/WO packs with new boards and such. I buy the HASL's but never play them and rarely punch out the counters. Most of mine are more or less new in shrink. This opinion puts new players in a twist though. For the health of the hobby, I would lean towards core modules. -- jim
Of the given options, reprints of core modules are most useful, IMO, but Bishop hits it out of the park here, the small HASLs are a great balance.

Just please, can we knock it off with yet more Stalingrad and Normandy? Those subjects are just unfathomably overdone in (especially official) ASL.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking for myself as someone who is getting back into ASL. I would like to have all the core modules at publisher's prices. Last core I purchased was Gung Ho. :)

I will be ordering AoO and Hakkaa Paalle. Need Doomed Battalions and Hollow Legions to complete the core combatants. Don't care about Forgotten War.

While the cores I own are the 1st printing and the quality of the counters are not up to current standards (smaller type, off colors, bad die cuts) I don't feel the need to replace them except for maybe the french as the unpunched counters have "foxing"

Also having all the board available for order. 53-59, 60-62, 4a-6a. 14 boards.

I don't foresee any time or space for HASL plays. We don't have basements here.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My opinion only...

I’m youth challenged. There’s so much published material I own now that I’ll never have time to play before I’m no longer youth challenged. The main reason I haven’t introduced this fine game to others is the seeming frequency that core modules go out of print. Staples like the rule book, BV, and SK1 should never go out of print. Other cores should be reprinted more regularly. As frequently noted by others, having to wait years for a core module reprint is frustrating. Especially accented by the module dependency on which ASL is based.

That being said, I’m obviously not MMP. I do understand that finances are a, if not the, major consideration in their decision making process. I really do appreciate their devotion to ASL. In a perfect world, they could maintain a stock of all core modules at all times. But alas it’s a fallen world. Choices must be made. I’d prefer them to keep the cores in stock.

There, got that off my chest

Back to VASL work.

Allan