Which to get: CMAK or CMBB?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
eventually, I'll get them both, but atm, only got (time) money for one.

I wasn't too fond of CMBO, so I kind of stayed away from the series after that.

However, Battlefront needs my money, and I'm determined to give it to them :D (while I'm waiting for TacOps v5 :) )

I like the aussieness of CMAK, but I'm concerned that it'll just be deserts and not much else.

and the russian side of me likes CMBB, cos well, it's Ostfront! but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea...though I would have thought CMBB would have a lot more units than CMAK, given the subject (another concern)

also, CMBB seems to be much better MP-wise (going on games played)

hmm, decisions, decisions....

input would be luverly gents - and NORAD :D

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CMAK actually plays better IMHO. They made a lot of the slowdown factors better, especially vehicle turn rates, bogging etc.

I commented more in another thread on the same topic a few months back (IIRC a poll which version you prefer).

The only CMAK thing really screwed up is quickbattles with your own forces due to artillery pricing (no heavy arty for the Allies, but for the Germans) and the late British infantry with no squad AT weapons and mandatory flamethrowers.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ooo...I am the wrong person to ask, I like them all. And when I like them all I go whole hog...I must have downloaded 1800 scenarios between all three games at this point...it is kind of a sick obsession!

hmm pros/cons...first what didn't you like about CMBO? While the other two are both more refined in terms of units commands...they are all three well...the same game.

CMAK
Bigger maps if you have the rig to run them with a lot of units.
Deserts..yes but France too. Also there are some really great desert maps floating around.
Dust! (I like this. It changes the tactics drastically when you can't sneak armor around)
Faster turn rates then CMBB etc nice but not a huge selling point, but no factory buildings.. :cry:
I also think people are more familiar with US, Canadian, British, & German units so they lean toward CMAK.

CMBB: East Front!
Great graphic mods and a HUGE # of scenarios available.
SLOW tanks... :( but fun none the less.

Both are great. I think with the desert and arid (dust causing) terrain option CMAK ultimately provides the most variety in terrain. You can play winter summer, anywhere from africa, sicily, italy, to western europe but CMBB offers the most EF action of any game system that I know of so if you have a passion for the subject go for it.

To get an idea of the types of scenarios available go to The Scenario Depot and browse the CMAK list and CMBB list and see what catches your fancy!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
"I wasn't too fond of CMBO,..."

Well,...I don't think we have a thing to talk about!!

Ok,...seriously. Go with Afica. After all, Russia was just a side show for the Germans. All those troops couldn't fit in Africa so they had to go some where.

<sound of crickets chirping>

No, but seriously folks,...take my wife,....please.

<tap-tap>

Is this thing on?

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ivan Rapkinov said:
I like the aussieness of CMAK, but I'm concerned that it'll just be deserts and not much else.
You also get to fight in the mountains and forests of Italy in CMAK. In all honesty I'm pretty torn too if I had to choose between CMAK and CMBB (I have both of them). On the one hand, I've always had a soft spot for fighting in the wide open desert and not having my PzIII's be so woefully outclassed by the enemy armour. On the other hand nothing beats trying to hold the line in the face of a massed Soviet offensive or trying to take on the Russian beasts.

With the exception of dust now flying whenever a vehicle moves through dry terrain in CMAK I really haven't noticed much difference between the two so I suppose it all really depends on what kind of units and terrain you enjoy fighting in. If you would much rather play with Shermans, Crusaders, Grants and other early war German and allied tanks then I'd recommend CMAK. If brutal eastern front combat is more your preference then I'd recommend CMBB.

Priest

Reaction score
Well Ivan I'll help you out, I'll flip a coin, heads you buy CMBB...tails you buy CMAK. OK here goes (drum roll please)...it's heads so I guess you buy CMBB. :D

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Check out CMAK, it's the newest version and it's cool to see many good CMBO scenarios remade with CMAK. Plus you are able to fight in the Med sector of the war. But, I must say, I miss the King Tiger though in CMBB.:(

BigMik1

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Get CMBB. Like it or not the war was decided on the EASTERN front!!!

I like CMAK very much as well so it is better to have both but if you can have only one I would suggest CMBB.

Artur.

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
The Purist said:
"I wasn't too fond of CMBO,..."

Ok,...seriously. Go with Afica. After all, Russia was just a side show for the Germans. All those troops couldn't fit in Africa so they had to go some where.
With respect, it was absolutely the opposite. Africa was the side show...

Artur.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Artur said:
With respect, it was absolutely the opposite. Africa was the side show...
:D Artur, Artur, Artur,... :D

You've been reading too many memoirs by senior German officers. They lost the war and they had to come up with some excuses. So,...they invented this whole big, bad Russian front story to frighten their children and government ministries. They had to justify the huge military expenditures some how, didn't they.

:hmmm: Quite frankly, I'm not sure there really is a Russia. Makes for a good story though. :nuts:

Go with CMAK

:D :laugh: :D

Artur

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
The Purist said:
:D Artur, Artur, Artur,... :D

You've been reading too many memoirs by senior German officers. They lost the war and they had to come up with some excuses. So,...they invented this whole big, bad Russian front story to frighten their children and government ministries. They had to justify the huge military expenditures some how, didn't they.

:hmmm: Quite frankly, I'm not sure there really is a Russia. Makes for a good story though. :nuts:

Go with CMAK

:D :laugh: :D
Let us just look at the facts:
-where did the Germans lose most of their men and equipment?
-where did they commit most of their forces?
-where were the majority of the forces tied down between summer 41 till the end?
-do you think the allies could have hold on if the russans surrender in 41 ???!!!???...

The US and Brits took a major part in the victory especially the enormous War material from the US sent to SU but almost the full weight of the German Army was committed in the east.

I do not wish to make propaganda for the Russians, they have robbed my country as well but facts are facts.

However I think we will not convince each other so i end the debate here.

Artur.

PS: Both CMBB and CMAK are great. CMBB has a an advantage at me though.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Ivan, get CMBB .... so that we can play and ..... so that I can catch up with Scipio :D

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Believe me Artur...there is no arguing with Bernard Montgomery...he is an insufferable lout when it comes to reminiscing about his glory days! :p :D

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Pssst,...Artur,

Sorry, my firend,...my previous posts were only meant to be humourous (jokes). I hope you weren't insulted.

Of course the Russian Front was the most critical,...75% of German forces were fighting there.

Sometimes humour does not translate well in written form.

:D

"...insufferable lout..."

Monsieur Norad,...I'm am not a lout!!! :cheeky:

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
Quite frankly, I'm not sure there really is a Russia. Makes for a good story though.
:stop: :laugh: :laugh: :hail:

That was a good one!! :cheeky:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Get the anthology - problem solved.

Or, go to a poll I started way back before the merger and see which one won the vote. CM:BB I think, but it's not the one I voted for...

Dr. S.