Which rule do you want to change?

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I love ASL, having played it as a teenager and then found it again in my early fifties. However there are a few rules that "get up my nose" so to speak. Probably the one that irritates me the most is rolling for special ammunition. If you roll low and get special ammunition you get to use the same roll for the TH DR; if you roll high and miss the special ammunition DR you get a blank slate for Plan B. How is that self-consistent?

So if I could change one rule (or delete one rule) it would be that prior to rolling for special ammunition you have to specify what Plan B will be. It could be firing another type of ammunition, moving, etc. If the special ammunition DR is successful then a separate TH DR is required. If the special ammunition DR is not successful then it would be onto Plan B. If Plan B was another type of special ammunition then you would have to specify Plan C in case the special ammunition DR is unsuccessful.

So if you could change one rule (or delete one rule) what would it be and how would you change it?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
COT to enter a building (in otherwise Open Ground) isn't doubled when moving across an elevation change but is rather +1. So 2 MF to walk into a building, 3MF to walk up a hill into a building. The walking uphill in rough/brush/grain/woods/etc makes a lot of sense but I just don't see it for buildings (and maybe some other structures).

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eliminate the "Motion/Non-stopped" DRM in CC for vehicles in bypass...

This ought to be enough to slow down the use of the VBM Freeze...which is just a tad to powerful in my book, particularly vs forces that don't have a lot of LATW/SCW.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wall advantage. Get rid of it completely.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would change the FT versus vehicles to the Albany rule.

It is just too easy to smoke a Tiger, run up a FT and kill it on an "8"

Rich

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great question. And, I've been working on this one:

Vehicle bypass freeze (VBF) - it's gutsy for a squad to CC an AFV. It's also gutsy for an AFV to roll up to some structure knowing they could get blazed. But, as it is now, vehicle bypass freeze is too powerful.

Thus, if there are known defenders in the bypass hex, require that the crew pass a vehicle-bypass-task-check (VBTC). If the crew passes the VBTC, then they may bypass. If the crew fails the VBTC, then they may: 1) spend 1MP to stop in the hex in which it took the VBTC; 2) move elsewhere, or; 3) enter the hex without using bypass movement. VBTC DRM: -X for leadership, +1 if CE, and +1 if the defenders can claim street fighting. A VBTC DR=12 stalls the vehicle in the hex in which it took the VBTC. A VBTC DR=2 has no effect. Finally, the vehicle may only roll its VBTC within one or two hexes of a hex to be bypassed, and it may only fail one VBTC per MPh. Thus, in theory, if there were an endless number of houses to be bypassed, each containing known defenders, then the vehicle could bypass as many as it wished, ignoring MPs for this theoretical example, until it failed its first VBTC. A VBTC is made after spending MPs to enter the hex in which the VBTC is made.

Thoughts? Yet to be determined - and a question to fellow players: should the VBTC be a secret roll? I think not, but I do like an old, classic head fake.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Using vehicles to freeze infantry is caused by AFV being under powered in ASL, as well as the artificial time limit. Changing the rules to cause TCs for vehicles to do it is just adding another layer of gaminess to an already gamey situation.

Now, if you want to change the effectiveness of AFV in relation to infantry, I have an alternative TH process that makes infantry much easier to get blown out of buildings before a tank runs out of ammo. You know, like in real life when an ISU-152 fires at a building 100 meters away and gives the enemy inside a speech impediment.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Takes too long to battle harden to a panther.

How about we make Caves with negative TEM? You know what happens in a cave when a bullet enters it--it ricochets around, tearing up everyone inside. Stay out of caves unless you're being bombarded.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Takes too long to battle harden to a panther.
We're changing the rules. We can make it super-easy. A tank battle-hardens if it rolls < 7 on its TH DR. Do you intensive fire if you might become a Royal Tiger? You might.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now you're just talking nonsense. You probably got participation trophies as a kid, right?

StevenMiller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the serious side; immobilized tanks should be able to pivot at least one hex vertex. Rarely are both tracks thrown or damaged. Possibly a TC roll required but to be frozen in place doesn't seem accurate. Now to the less serious side; aside from ELR and Battle Hardening for vehicles, what about deploying?Could a Panther deploy to two MK III's?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the serious side; immobilized tanks should be able to pivot at least one hex vertex. Rarely are both tracks thrown or damaged. Possibly a TC roll required but to be frozen in place doesn't seem accurate. Now to the less serious side; aside from ELR and Battle Hardening for vehicles, what about deploying?Could a Panther deploy to two MK III's?
A Tiger (Mk-VI) perhaps could reasonably be deployed to a couple of Mk-IIIs (III+III=VI, you get the drift; 50L of course) no way should a Mk-V get that much of a benefit, but pretty sure if replaced a Tiger would go to a Mk-IV (looks similar) [EXC: King Tiger > Panther].