Which non-deployment TO's will you select?

Which non-deployment TO do you plan to use? (2 of 3)

• Total voters

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted for the DON Front reinforcements and Little Saturn. Here is my thinking:

1. The DON Front reinforcements contain a powerful group of artillery and rockets. This TO brings them into the game 25 turns early! I feel this is probably the best TO of all the available TO's for either side. Two pics are attached (don1.jpg and don2.jpg) that show this force.

2. I did NOT select the DON Front units anywhere because I'm going under the assumption that the German relief effort will penetrate the **** boundary around the pocket. If they do, and I've taken this TO, I've wasted a TO. If they don't, that means the Germans aren't really trying to relieve the pocket and I'll use the DON Front units, and only the DON Front units, to reduce the pocket. I'll send the DON Front reinforcements elsewhere to support my attacks.

3. My intention is to use Little Saturn when I'm ready for a huge bombardment to burst a section of the German line. When the DON Front reinforcements are in place, I'll select Little Saturn, and have four turns (I hope!) of extended combat rounds. I'll use those rounds to get as many min loss/limited attack artillery mass bombardments as possible on a limited section of the German line.

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WestPointer said:
I voted for the DON Front reinforcements and Little Saturn. Here is my thinking:

1. The DON Front reinforcements contain a powerful group of artillery and rockets. This TO brings them into the game 25 turns early! I feel this is probably the best TO of all the available TO's for either side. Two pics are attached (don1.jpg and don2.jpg) that show this force.

2. I did NOT select the DON Front units anywhere because I'm going under the assumption that the German relief effort will penetrate the **** boundary around the pocket. If they do, and I've taken this TO, I've wasted a TO. If they don't, that means the Germans aren't really trying to relieve the pocket and I'll use the DON Front units, and only the DON Front units, to reduce the pocket. I'll send the DON Front reinforcements elsewhere to support my attacks.

3. My intention is to use Little Saturn when I'm ready for a huge bombardment to burst a section of the German line. When the DON Front reinforcements are in place, I'll select Little Saturn, and have four turns (I hope!) of extended combat rounds.
This is excellent logic and it seems others are in complete agreement. It sounds like which TOs to use is a no brainer for us at this point.

WestPointer said:
I'll use those rounds to get as many min loss/limited attack artillery mass bombardments as possible on a limited section of the German line.
Now, let's not forget that shock is global so it is a good opportunity to use ant units to make soak offs against him where he is strong also and to conduct counterattacks in all sectors as well.

plutonico

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
i agree with this,

and i think that deployment of 2nd is the key for the game strategy.´perhaps player with less experience, me, must select 2nd in the south?
other question: air units. May be that if we want to save the units moving them to the east and northeast we cant be able to stop axis reforces that are moving by train. when i played as Axis the soviet interdiction stoped some units for some turns. what about this?
(i hope that someone understand my bad english)

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
plutonico said:
and i think that deployment of 2nd is the key for the game strategy.´perhaps player with less experience, me, must select 2nd in the south?
I do think the south MAY be a safer "don't lose" deployment for an unexperienced player.

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heh...had to be a voice of dissention - and NOT take the Little Saturn TO.

Why take the TO to Use Don Front outsite the Pocket?

Flexibility. Don Front is a very large formation, represents 40% of the initial onboard starting units. It's too large to be restricted to the pocket if the Axis decide to cut off their relief effort early or the pocket gets cleaned up early. Portions of it can be pulled out to assist in blocking a relief attempt. It would be more effective in this capacity if it was not restricted to a
15 km defensive zone. Some of its units are on Army and Force Support, so they can work reasonably well in conjunction with South Front and 5th Tank Army, offensively and defensively.

I can see potential "usefulness" in letting the Axis reach the release line and perhaps even linking to the pocket. If the Axis press the relief effort heavily, they will be overextended. If they are not overextended, it is owing to their not committing forces "elsewhere". In this regard, the more attention Stalingrad (30 VP) receives, the less attention "elsewhere" (120 VP) gets.

The Little Saturn Shock levels, best as I can determine are 105, 110, 105, 101 (sequentially, once activated). I feel this is the weakest of the TO's in terms of overall force flexibility.

Closely watching "levels of support" between different formations will lend to getting more tactical rounds in per turn than indiscriminately assigning units to attacks. We've all seen cases of failed proficiency checks for early turn endings, but we've probably also seen a number of Min or Limit Loss attacks not runnings into "overtime" consume 30-70% of a turn by themselves. Since I've started paying attention to support levels, I've seen a lot less of that happening. Tried a few uncooperative attacks and saw it happen right away, so -- just personally speaking, attention to detail, is a shock unto itself.

Heinz57

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heinz57 said:
Closely watching "levels of support" between different formations will lend to getting more tactical rounds in per turn than indiscriminately assigning units to attacks.
Can you give us a quick tutorial on how to watch the support levels?

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One other reason for Don Front outside the pocket is that it has roughly 1/3rd of our available Rail Repair Capacity...most being distributed to engineer brigades with about 35% chance, but a few specialized RR units are present up to 60% chance.

Important Note -- all the dedicated RR units have a veteran proficiency of 10%. Can't expect much from them except fixing rail roads.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heinz57 said:
One other reason for Don Front outside the pocket is that it has roughly 1/3rd of our available Rail Repair Capacity...most being distributed to engineer brigades with about 35% chance, but a few specialized RR units are present up to 60% chance.

Important Note -- all the dedicated RR units have a veteran proficiency of 10%. Can't expect much from them except fixing rail roads.
Okay, you've convinced me.

I'm going to let the Germans penetrate the **** boundary so I get this TO for free! I don't see much danger in that.

What do you guys think????