Which nationality has the most authentic " flavor "

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Inspired by a couple threads but the Russian Leader thread got me to thinking because changing the Leader deficient characteristic of the Russians would be a mistake IMO.

Regardless what nationality do you feel ASL best captures the flavor of? Apparently my vote goes for the Russians. Don't know why but I would gladly play them in any scenario.

The other thread was the " which nationality changed least " . Interesting threads, both of them.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I don't know what you mean by "authentic" but (IMO) US is the most flavored nationality with their crazy 63-6-6(8) squads.
Thanks for the input. Authentic here would mean closest to a perceived or actual take on that nationalies characteristics.

For example in SL the US troops loved captured equipment. Rag Tag Circus comes to mind.

The Japanese could be suicidal in attack. Banzai and THH reflect this.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It's kinda tough to judge authenticity, we're still learning history from recently unclassified material.

That said, my vote would be for the Japanese due to the step reduction and all the unique things they implemented.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
IMO, the Finns are very well modeled. That is after the supermen of BV were fleshed out into the OOB we have today. The Self-rally capability throughout the ranks and the -0 leaders reflect well on the type of soldiers their army mostly consisted of. Self-sufficient to the degree that almost any soldier could step up to become the new leader.

Worst nationality modeled? I can't really say that there is one. They have all been more or less attributed 'correctly' IMO, but there are a few like the Finns/IJA/GMD/Red Chinese where they got it dead-nuts.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMO, the Finns are very well modeled. That is after the supermen of BV were fleshed out into the OOB we have today. The Self-rally capability throughout the ranks and the -0 leaders reflect well on the type of soldiers their army mostly consisted of. Self-sufficient to the degree that almost any soldier could step up to become the new leader.

Worst nationality modeled? I can't really say that there is one. They have all been more or less attributed 'correctly' IMO, but there are a few like the Finns/IJA/GMD/Red Chinese where they got it dead-nuts.
But were the Finns really all that (and a bag of chips)? Or was it that just the Russians were that bad initially. I'm not sure I buy into the "even conscripts can self-rally" narrative.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Thanks, a well thought out opinion.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
But were the Finns really all that (and a bag of chips)? Or was it that just the Russians were that bad initially. I'm not sure I buy into the "even conscripts can self-rally" narrative.
Sounds like the start of an interesting exchange of opinions. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It's kinda tough to judge authenticity, we're still learning history from recently unclassified material.

That said, my vote would be for the Japanese due to the step reduction and all the unique things they implemented.
Yes and I am starting to reconsider my original vote.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Probably the Germans -- lots of squad choices and they're the base, the measuring stick of all other nationalities.

I think national characteristics in ASL are exaggerated -- the Finns are too heroic, the Italians are too weak, the non-cowering nature of the Brits is too much of a superpower, etc. Nevertheless, the exaggeration is a big part of what makes ASL fun.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always felt AH did a good job portraying the Japanese, hard to kill. The US with its almost endless supply of SW are well done also.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dont forget Arty and airsupport plus the best logistics in the world. I remember watching band of brothers, the war is over and the paratroopers are riding trucks and they are going past dejected germans in horsecarts. One of the paratroopers yells at them saying I think: "You assholes, you actually thought you can beat American producers?" Or some such line.

Scott

I always felt AH did a good job portraying the Japanese, hard to kill. The US with its almost endless supply of SW are well done also.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
It has got to be the Japanese IMO. With all their unique abilities.
My vote as well goes to the Japanese, the most fun nationality for me to play 41 - 42,
the tide is turning in 43 and not much fun at all, due to allied firepower for the most part,
in 44 - 45. They are a blast for sure, nothing quite as alarming as a 4-4-8 with a FT or DC, Vic.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dont forget Arty and airsupport plus the best logistics in the world. I remember watching band of brothers, the war is over and the paratroopers are riding trucks and they are going past dejected germans in horsecarts. One of the paratroopers yells at them saying I think: "You assholes, you actually thought you can beat American producers?" Or some such line.

Scott
"you're using horses!"