Which nationality has the most authentic " flavor "

mharviala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finland's a very 'Martial' country. I couldn't say whether it were so before and during WW2 but these days every civilian is conscripted into the armed forces for a period, and following that they have to keep their military training up to date even after leaving.

I think when you consider the numbers of them...versus the numbers of Russians, then it probably makes sense that they could all self-rally...
An interesting facet of the theater is that in 1941 in the south, you saw Finns carry forth an attack with elan - an essentially foot-borne army understanding the terrain and making advances until objectives were met, and in the north where the Germans were operating in the lead, the war was a stalemate from the start. What the north revealed is that that German war machine was geared to be mechanized, and the skills were all about penetration - encircle - mop up. When the terrain didn't allow this, the infantry lacked the skills to operate in the terrain they were fighting in.

Mika

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
An interesting facet of the theater is that in 1941 in the south, you saw Finns carry forth an attack with elan - an essentially foot-borne army understanding the terrain and making advances until objectives were met, and in the north where the Germans were operating in the lead, the war was a stalemate from the start. What the north revealed is that that German war machine was geared to be mechanized, and the skills were all about penetration - encircle - mop up. When the terrain didn't allow this, the infantry lacked the skills to operate in the terrain they were fighting in.

Mika
Interesting.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Mika
I believe you hit on a major facet of the fighting in the far north, the terrain. At one point the German's reliance on artillery came back to haunt them as a preparatory artillery barrage opened up a huge fissure in the unstable ground and brought a major portion of the attack to a screeching halt as the attacking force were unable to navigate the terrain. The nature of the terrain: small lakes, numerous swamps, the soft spongy tundra, and fierce winters of the arctic, often made large scale operations in the trackless far north almost impossible, a fact the Russians would experience themselves in late '44-45. Add to this the inexperience of German forces of being prepared to fight in such conditions and having a force far too small to accomplish the tasks it was given, it's a wonder the Germans were able to accomplish even the small gains they did initially.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe that ASL does quite well in modeling the 'flavor' of the various nationalities. However, I would lobby for a couple more squad types.

1. Soviet Naval Infantry Brigades. Unlike the largely conscripted army, the Naval Infantry were well trained, generally more educated and had more elan. They were therefore issued more sophisticated (and difficult) weapons like the SVT-40 semi-auto rifle. They also had a more free-forming TOE at the small unit level, with a good mix of submachine guns, semi-auto rifles and standard rifles. Therefore, I would like to see new Russian squads that reflect the Naval Infantry. I would suggest: 5-5-8(E) & 5-4-7(1). The 5-4-7(1) would elr to a conscript. The HS of these squads would use existing 2-4-8(E) and 2-3-7(1) counters and could only re-combine back to 5-5-8(E) & 5-4-7(1) by SSR.
  2. German Volksgrenadier Division infantry. These were units that had a small cadre of hardened veterans with the rest being a mix of rear area Luftwaffe/Kriegsmarine, recovered wounded soldiers w/o units, old reservists, and young Hitler youths. They were liberally armed with Stg44, automatic weapons and PFs - since these weapons did not require a lot training. Although such a Volksgrenadier unit could partially be represented by 5-4-8 and 4-4-7 squads, the automatic/semi-auto equipping needles for another squad type. I would suggest: 5-4-7(VG)/2-3-7(VG). The (VG) would be a special 2nd line squad (like the Russian NKVD squad in VotG), and the 2-3-7(VG) would re-combine to the 5-4-7(VG). It would elr to a conscript, and would go Fanatic if it battle hardens. No units could ELR/BH to a 5-4-7(VG)/2-3-7(VG). A Volksgrenadier unit in the OB probably should have an SSR getting an extra -1 drm to its PF Check.
I know that these new counters I am lobbying for are probably a pipe dream - particularly for these basic core ASL nationalities. In fact, I could be in a group of only one for these desired additions. But Soviet Naval Infantry and German Volksgrenadiers were fielded in significant numbers, and I believe their unique weaponry and force make-up are distinct enough to merit these new squad types.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I believe that ASL does quite well in modeling the 'flavor' of the various nationalities. However, I would lobby for a couple more squad types.

1. Soviet Naval Infantry Brigades. Unlike the largely conscripted army, the Naval Infantry were well trained, generally more educated and had more elan. They were therefore issued more sophisticated (and difficult) weapons like the SVT-40 semi-auto rifle. They also had a more free-forming TOE at the small unit level, with a good mix of submachine guns, semi-auto rifles and standard rifles. Therefore, I would like to see new Russian squads that reflect the Naval Infantry. I would suggest: 5-5-8(E) & 5-4-7(1). The 5-4-7(1) would elr to a conscript. The HS of these squads would use existing 2-4-8(E) and 2-3-7(1) counters and could only re-combine back to 5-5-8(E) & 5-4-7(1) by SSR.
  2. German Volksgrenadier Division infantry. These were units that had a small cadre of hardened veterans with the rest being a mix of rear area Luftwaffe/Kriegsmarine, recovered wounded soldiers w/o units, old reservists, and young Hitler youths. They were liberally armed with Stg44, automatic weapons and PFs - since these weapons did not require a lot training. Although such a Volksgrenadier unit could partially be represented by 5-4-8 and 4-4-7 squads, the automatic/semi-auto equipping needles for another squad type. I would suggest: 5-4-7(VG)/2-3-7(VG). The (VG) would be a special 2nd line squad (like the Russian NKVD squad in VotG), and the 2-3-7(VG) would re-combine to the 5-4-7(VG). It would elr to a conscript, and would go Fanatic if it battle hardens. No units could ELR/BH to a 5-4-7(VG). A Volksgrenadier unit in the OB probably should have an SSR getting an extra -1 drm to its PF Check.
I know that these new counters I am lobbying for are probably a pipe dream - particularly for these basic core ASL nationalities. In fact, I could be in a group of only one for these desired additions. But Soviet Naval Infantry and German Volksgrenadiers were fielded in significant numbers, and I believe their unique weaponry and force make-up are distinct enough to merit these new squad types.
Nice post and nice ideas.
Hell the game is so chromified now a little more won't hurt!😉

I mentioned pack elephants in another thread. Coming soon from TPP somewhere!

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

2. German Volksgrenadier Division infantry. These were units that had a small cadre of hardened veterans with the rest being a mix of rear area Luftwaffe/Kriegsmarine, recovered wounded soldiers w/o units, old reservists, and young Hitler youths. They were liberally armed with Stg44, automatic weapons and PFs - since these weapons did not require a lot training. Although such a Volksgrenadier unit could partially be represented by 5-4-8 and 4-4-7 squads, the automatic/semi-auto equipping needles for another squad type. I would suggest: 5-4-7(VG)/2-3-7(VG). The (VG) would be a special 2nd line squad (like the Russian NKVD squad in VotG), and the 2-3-7(VG) would re-combine to the 5-4-7(VG). It would elr to a conscript, and would go Fanatic if it battle hardens. No units could ELR/BH to a 5-4-7(VG). A Volksgrenadier unit in the OB probably should have an SSR getting an extra -1 drm to its PF Check.
Excuse me while I take some notes. :devilish:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it ok to vote Italian because I like spaghetti and pasta fazool? And cannoli, just one thank you. The Romans went around the Med. and learned all types of cool food, then they took the best and refined them for a thousand years or so and you have Italian cuisine.

I’m all for some new ideas like soviet marines and volkstrum, why not.

Last edited:

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

2. German Volksgrenadier Division infantry. These were units that had a small cadre of hardened veterans with the rest being a mix of rear area Luftwaffe/Kriegsmarine, recovered wounded soldiers w/o units, old reservists, and young Hitler youths. They were liberally armed with Stg44, automatic weapons and PFs - since these weapons did not require a lot training. Although such a Volksgrenadier unit could partially be represented by 5-4-8 and 4-4-7 squads, the automatic/semi-auto equipping needles for another squad type. I would suggest: 5-4-7(VG)/2-3-7(VG). The (VG) would be a special 2nd line squad (like the Russian NKVD squad in VotG), and the 2-3-7(VG) would re-combine to the 5-4-7(VG). It would elr to a conscript, and would go Fanatic if it battle hardens. No units could ELR/BH to a 5-4-7(VG)/2-3-7(VG). A Volksgrenadier unit in the OB probably should have an SSR getting an extra -1 drm to its PF Check.

Attachments

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am sticking with the Russians.......from being a mother and ducklings maneuver centric force, to maturing to a seriously experienced army, I say the Russians. Playing OTO Funnel of Death with doubled OOB, you really see the Russian steam roller in action.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The best force I often use the the Russian Engineer / Sapper company with an elite smg company as support. Add in several ISU 152/ 122 and one or two OT-34 or OT-34/85 and a heavy weapons platoon and good luck to the enemy

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

You are going to get your wish when BFP releases their Finn Project Pack. They come with 5-5-8 Russian Naval Infantry counters

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for more squad types, I'd prefer to see other OB levers used, e.g., squad type mix, ELR, support weapons, leaders, leader modifiers, in an effort to solve squad historicity issues. I am simply "countered out". That's just me though. Nowadays most of my new counters don't make it off the sprue.