• Smolensk '41

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters

_Ghibli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My playing experience with this series is very limited, as follows.

I played Smolensk '41 PBEM 3 years ago, and I enjoyed it a *lot* but ran out of time.

I soloed Normandy '44 just a bit, again 3 years ago. The unit density was ... tedious. I found myself "provisionally" agreeing with comments read here and there that this game system was better suited to Eastern Front and North African situations.

Tobruk '41: I've tried out a bit solo. Would like to PBEM "eventually", but right now my available gaming time is strictly limited to TOAW-CoW and finishing up "other" miscellaneous PBEM projects. As I finish up with these, I'll try out some PBEM here.

Anyway, given my limited exposure, here's what I own:

Alamein '42
Kursk '43
Tobruk '41
Normandy '44
Smolensk '41

I'm interested in the following, but I am holding off purchasing any more until I read up on the series here in this forum:

Kharkov '42
Rzhev '42
Korsun '44

_G

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have Fulda Gap 85 top notch game this, im now looking to get the North German Plain so I can get the full flavour of the idea of this hypothetical war in this fab series :D

I plan to dabble with Korea shortly after, ive heard good reports about this so its a must!!

By the way ive only just noticed this section has been started up, thats why I havent posted here yet, thanks a mill Don ;)

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
switch_back said:
By the way ive only just noticed this section has been started up, thats why I havent posted here yet, thanks a mill Don ;)
Look at the date stamps on the posts. I think "resurrected" would be a more accurate description... ;)

Still, it did bring back into view, the only known picture of Mantis' wife, and that alone, was worth the price of admission.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Can't be. The female mantis is known for eating the head of her mate after they finish making babies. :crosseye:

Reiryc

Reaction score
I own:

smolensk 41
tobruk 41
kharkove 42
rhezev 42
kursk 43
korsun 44
market garden 44

I'd have to say that out of that list, rhzev 42 has become my favorite. It used to be kharkov 42 because I liked the see-saw effect of both sides have a period of strong advance in the campaign game. Now I'm enjoying playing the russians in rhzev and having to push the germans out of the pillboxes.

I also have napoleon's russian campaign and campaign 1776. Campaign 1776 is fun playing it pbem and I like the background music as well. I think I'll have to find a pbem opponent for a campaign game instead of just a scenario....

Alkiviadis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I own all except K '85 & A '42. However now I only play FG '85 & NGP '85. Lost interest in the others. Kursk '43 can be overwhelming & has some inaccuracies regarding unit capacites ( the Panthers perform like PZ '44 battalions, instead of the untried, semi-trained units they were). Normandy '44 is basically siege warfare (WW 1 with WW2 weapons, as it was in reality). Kharkov '42, Rzhev '44 & Korsun '44 can be a blast. But I play these games for the modern battles. They can be mangement-intensive depending on the scenario size. I can personally only handle 6 division comfortable, any more is overwhelming given my limited time. ON the other hand the larger scenarios can be played by teams; these games can be very exciting. However I only play FG '85 & NGP '85 now. I enjoy them very much, excellent operational simulations with some tactical flavoring, I sucessfully implemented standard Soviet AIR-LAND BATTLE tactics using these games.

Last edited:

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have 'em all except N'44, B'44, and K'44. They are all excellent and is merely a choice of theatre. El Alamein '42 is my personal favorite PzC as well as all the MC's.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don Maddox said:
Which games in the series do you own? Which are your favorites?
I have them all except for Kharkov 42. My favourite is Smolensk 41 followed by El Alamein 42.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Looks to me like Panzer Campaigns is slightly more popular than Modern Campaigns. Then again, PZC has been around a little longer.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yeh you probably got that one right Don - in that there is more variety in the WWII set - as well... I got a Bulge disk in my drive now - but am thinking more Market Garden ... Bulge can wait for Dec.

--------------

I have all of the WWII titles ... (took the poll last week -just got around to posting this)

I want all of the titles (time/money/gaming time projections have kept me from it --- but then again I believe I saw a mod combining both of the NATO/WP titles into one big battle for West Germany... that might be an influence :smoke:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have all the PzC titles except Kursk and Korsun. I am looking to pick these up by the end of the year.

I do not have any MC's but I would like to get NGP. It looks like it comes with a good selection of scenarios and a user made a combined scenario that includes the fight from Fulda Gap.

I enjoy all of the WWII titles so far. Each offers different type of battle each with a unique fighting style and the rule tweaks really help to capture the feel of each particular battle. For me it just comes down to what kind of mood I am in!

RedMike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,

If I had to trash the lot but one, it would be an MC and I'd have to draw from a hat which one I keep. The MC's are king in my book.

RedMike OUT

Realmzmaster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Games I own

I own:

Smolensk '41
Toburk '41
Bulge '44

Looking to pick up the rest of the series. The games are a little pricey, but can be found at a discount for around $35. But do not expect to ever see them in the discount bin. The best deal I got was on Smolensk '41 that I picked up for $8.50 on Ebay.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Reiryc said:
I also have napoleon's russian campaign and campaign 1776. Campaign 1776 is fun playing it pbem and I like the background music as well. I think I'll have to find a pbem opponent for a campaign game instead of just a scenario....
Come on over and join us at the CCC if you are looking for opponents for 1776.

http://www.wargame.ch/1776/index.html

Regarding this thread, I own them all, but they only get limited play since I focus on the pre-twentieth century stuff. :cool:

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What is interesting in this poll is that of 25 people responding to a list of 15 titles, the Average number of titles owned is pretty close to 7.5

On popularity, I think WWII wins out on average over the Modern titles but I think NGP and FG have been the most popular, largely because so many of the guys who enjoy them are ex Military who served in some capacity in Europe.

I never did serve in a Combat Arms trade, but when I was a Kid in High School, I too couldn't see beyond a career planning to defend against the Red Hordes in Europe.

Not sure how much cross over we have between the two similar game lines - I know some of the testers are seriously interested in one series and not the others, but then others do the cross time period thing quite easily.

Withhin the PzC I also see the different tastes come into play and how some people just love certain titles that other people rate as the wost of the lot, just showing that so many things goes into to shaping what people like and other dislike in any title.

I guess it is a good thing there are 15 of them.

Glenn

Reiryc

Reaction score
rahamy said:
Come on over and join us at the CCC if you are looking for opponents for 1776.

http://www.wargame.ch/1776/index.html

Regarding this thread, I own them all, but they only get limited play since I focus on the pre-twentieth century stuff. :cool:
I've thought about signing up before. I belong to pcc(panzer campaigns club) and the blitz. So I guess I'll sign up, thanks for the link.

:D