Which Game?

SnowBlue

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am having a lot of fun playing turn based wargames but am looking for a real-time one with great AI. I played the demo for ATF and AATF and while I had trouble winning it was lots of fun trying to figure out how to win. I just have some questions about the series.

1) While the AATF engine is and improvement over ATF it seems to chug a bit when changing zoom levels. Is this fixed in the patches? In fact are the engine changes that major?

2) One aspect of these games that fascinates me is that to be successful you have to replicate military doctrine in your battles. Which game do you think captures the feel of reading its documentation and then seeing it actually work in battle better? For example (I think) that AATF comes with two US military pdf. files on air assaults and the actual AAR on the Battle of Ia Drang.

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. The actual internal game model for the ATF series and the AATF series are very similar. Of course the ATF engine underwent a number of improvements after its creation. The model in The Star and the Crescent does ALOT of things that the first ATF does not.

The major difference between the two generations (ATF and AATF) is that AATF has:

• A damage model that allows vehicles to continue to fight degraded after being hit
  • Other optimizations to replicate air assault operations
2. I, of course, love all of the games. But if you want to replicate US tactics and doctrine, ATF and AATF (the originals) probably focus most on this. AATF especially.