Which game should I get?

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to buy one of them tonight from NWS.

I had the Gettysburg game (still have the disk) but it will not install due to scratching. :( I dont know if it can be repaired, it starts to install and then hangs up on a certain file each time. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Anyways, since I technically dont have Gettysburg (unless it can be fixed ;) ) it's on the table.

The ones that interest me the most are Gettysburg, obviously, Shiloh and Penninsula.

Which ones give me the best PBEM options?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well they all are good. My preference is for Gettysburg as the maps are huge and the strategic options are numerous leading to a multitude of possible different battles. Of course I'm biased somewhat as this is the campaign that I have the most interest in. Peninsula is good as it represents all the battles of the Seven Days plus it has several huge scenarios that let you play out the whole campaign as one big battle. I'm just getting into Shiloh so can't speak much to it. In the end I'd give the same advice that I give for people asking about Panzer Campaigns. They all use the same engine and have the same updates so you can't go wrong with any of them so the way to go is to pick the one that interests you the most. Let me know which one you get and I'll give you a battle, maybe we can find one we can finish this time since we never got the Combat Mission or TOAW games done.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RangerBooBoo said:
Well they all are good. My preference is for Gettysburg as the maps are huge and the strategic options are numerous leading to a multitude of possible different battles. Of course I'm biased somewhat as this is the campaign that I have the most interest in. Peninsula is good as it represents all the battles of the Seven Days plus it has several huge scenarios that let you play out the whole campaign as one big battle. I'm just getting into Shiloh so can't speak much to it. In the end I'd give the same advice that I give for people asking about Panzer Campaigns. They all use the same engine and have the same updates so you can't go wrong with any of them so the way to go is to pick the one that interests you the most. Let me know which one you get and I'll give you a battle, maybe we can find one we can finish this time since we never got the Combat Mission or TOAW games done.
My CoW copy crapped on me again, but I have the new TOAW III if you want to try that scenario in that one.

Which CM game? I dont remember that.

Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We started a CMBB game with me as the Hungarians doing a river crossing but that was back before you had the house fire. I don't have TOAWIII so I'll have to pass but look me up when you get a Civil War game. Did you decide on one?

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RangerBooBoo said:
We started a CMBB game with me as the Hungarians doing a river crossing but that was back before you had the house fire. I don't have TOAWIII so I'll have to pass but look me up when you get a Civil War game. Did you decide on one?

heh, I also sent you a PM at the steakhouse.

You know it has been over a year since the fire this month. :surprise:

Anyways... I am seeing my options for fixing this disk, but I haven't decided. I will order one of the main 3 tonight.

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gettysburg just got its first patch. Now has all of the nice updates in the series.

Shiloh is a great design. I also like Franklin though I know that its not as popular with many.

For all around ability to get gamers to play it I would suggest either Gettysburg, Peninsular or Shiloh.

Hey, I also enjoyed the Campaign Ozarks as well. Nice smaller sized battles which dont require you to spend an hour moving your troops.

GBastiani

Recruit
Reaction score
If you like the big maps then Gettysburg and Peninsula are good, but if you like the smaller maps and units then Ozark or Franklin or if you like the western theater battles then Corinth, Ozark, Franklin.

Reaction score
I have to go with Ozark myself... it's a jewel of a little game. Great scenarios,a playable size, big maps for the number of troops. Sure, Pea Ridge isn't "sexy" the way that Gettysburg or Malvern Hill is, but it's worth it.