Which core Module do you want Reprinted by MMP?

Which One?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...on a side note what I really want is the Overlay pack. I'm missing like 4-5 overlays and it drives my OCD into the stratosphere.

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well wait until I do get the Overlay pack and then I'll be like, "but...but..I have doubles of every overlay except these 4-5!"
But that is a lower level of OCD that can be countered with rudimentary medication like beer.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah. Agree. I paid what I would characterize as an obscene price for mine on eBay but I felt it was worth it because it was the only module I didn't have....and it still wasn't 300 pounds...it was like $330 CAD.
The prices I see for them today are insane. I'm glad I got only ripped off and not outright raped.
lol,
I bitch about ASL prices, but I would happily pay the same for some 'Grail' games, I have been lucky though as such games as PWG's Korsun Pocket and L2 design groups 3rd Edition Streets of Stalingrad which normally go for £300+ have only cost me £70 odd.

I think the cost is relative to how much you 'want' a certain game/module. As an example I Really wanted to own L2's version of Streets of Stalingrad for a long time, but even though I wanted it something rotten, I could not bring myself to fork out anything between £250/300+ for a copy. I waited and was lucky enough to get a copy for £130 IIRC.
Same went for Korsun Pocket, a simply awesome game, mine came in a zip lock unpunched and in mint condition, I payed £80 for it! I see it goes unpunched and in mint condition for well over £340 on average, no matter how much I want a game, I would not, nor could not justify paying that amount.

Streets of Stalingrad is being remade in a fourth edition to be released later this year, it is bigger, looks better and has more content than L2's version, not sure on the price, but I would guess £160+, would I be willing to pay that? not sure, I love L2's version, I have Nova games 2 modules version, but not the original Streets of Stalingrad, I might be tempted, but and this is a big but, do I need it that bad (SoS L2 version is great IMHO) do I risk waiting to get a copy at a later date? I think I would say no, as I can bet my last penny that once the game is OoP you are going to pay MEGA bucks for a copy (I bet over £350).

I went through a period last year of selling lots of games off to get more ASL kit (sold all my Combat commander, operation dauntless, campaign to Stalingrad, Russian Front and many more), I got a few ASL modules I do not own etc but looking at what I had to get rid of to get the ASL stuff, I wonder now if it was wise, I got rid of lots for not much.

I fully understand why MMP do not keep stuff in stock, I don't like it, but there it is, same as I do not like the price of stuff for ASL, ours is an expensive hobby as we know, but some times the prices especially for ASL kit makes my eyes water. This is one of the main reasons why I have sort of pulled back from ASL a fair bit over the last half a year, I just can not justify the cost of a module, or even a Journal. especially when I can get a full game and a damn good one for the same if not cheaper price of a basic ASL module (Panzer cost me £45, and my whole Panzer collection a mere £110 all un punched and in shrink).

Perry

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well wait until I do get the Overlay pack and then I'll be like, "but...but..I have doubles of every overlay except these 4-5!"
But that is a lower level of OCD that can be countered with rudimentary medication like beer.
But, but, the artwork between the overlay (original) and the replacement won't be the same...between the ones you have...never mind the missing 4-5 and 6th? :mad: Now what??? :rolleyes:

Steady now...just tale some slow breaths. There is a solution, if you play on VASL all "your" overlays are there, and they have the same artwork. You have a safe space.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. Agree. I paid what I would characterize as an obscene price for mine on eBay but I felt it was worth it because it was the only module I didn't have....and it still wasn't 300 pounds...it was like $330 CAD.
The prices I see for them today are insane. I'm glad I got only ripped off and not outright raped.
It was this that completely broke me from being a completist. i got into a bidding war for MM'97 & TOT 1-3. Won the war but totally lost my PMC. I now only buy what i really want.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I went through a period last year of selling lots of games off to get more ASL kit (sold all my Combat commander, operation dauntless, campaign to Stalingrad, Russian Front and many more), I got a few ASL modules I do not own etc but looking at what I had to get rid of to get the ASL stuff, I wonder now if it was wise, I got rid of lots for not much.

I fully understand why MMP do not keep stuff in stock, I don't like it, but there it is, same as I do not like the price of stuff for ASL, ours is an expensive hobby as we know, but some times the prices especially for ASL kit makes my eyes water. This is one of the main reasons why I have sort of pulled back from ASL a fair bit over the last half a year, I just can not justify the cost of a module, or even a Journal. especially when I can get a full game and a damn good one for the same if not cheaper price of a basic ASL module (Panzer cost me £45, and my whole Panzer collection a mere £110 all un punched and in shrink).

Perry

Hey Perry!

I tend to view ASL as a "lifestyle" game; so many players play ASL almost to exclusivity. The investment of dollars, and most importantly time, required seems to push many in this direction. I tend to fall into this category myself. Additionally, I've been learning to play Commands & Colours: Ancients because I have always been interested in the period. I have Target for Today on pre-order; it is the update of the old AH B17: Queen of the Skies game. I have a couple of other solitaire sub games because I like the narrative aspect. And I have the designer's edition of OGRE, the first game I ever purchased (at only $2.95 in the '70s). And as I get older (turning 55 on Friday), I find I have less free time to learn and master new games due to the demands of job and family. Just my perspective on the matter.

Cheers,

Mark

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
It was this that completely broke me from being a completist. i got into a bidding war for MM'97 & TOT 1-3. Won the war but totally lost my PMC. I now only buy what i really want.

I know one person who got into a bidding war for ABtF and it ended up costing him over $400. His wife was not pleased to say the least.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So some one got inside your OODA Loop. You lost focus on what to "Orient" on. But your have recovered and now know what the objective really is.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Perry!

I tend to view ASL as a "lifestyle" game; so many players play ASL almost to exclusivity. The investment of dollars, and most importantly time, required seems to push many in this direction. I tend to fall into this category myself. Additionally, I've been learning to play Commands & Colours: Ancients because I have always been interested in the period. I have Target for Today on pre-order; it is the update of the old AH B17: Queen of the Skies game. I have a couple of other solitaire sub games because I like the narrative aspect. And I have the designer's edition of OGRE, the first game I ever purchased (at only $2.95 in the '70s). And as I get older (turning 55 on Friday), I find I have less free time to learn and master new games due to the demands of job and family. Just my perspective on the matter.

Cheers,

Mark
I can completely understand that Mark 100%, I as a few here may know used to own all the ASL modules upto and including what was available as of summer 1992, I had joined the Army in 1988 and lugged this kit with me to my units location in Germany (BAOR) I chucked it out one day along with lots of other stuff, as I figured as I was being 'soldier boy' for real, why play at it! Now I am older and with more responsibilities (House, wife, young daughter etc) I decided to jump into it all again, ASL was my game of choice as I had it back in the day, I have amassed a large amount in the 3 years I have been collecting, but I just seem to be able to have it as a game I can turn to if I want something really deep, but very tactical.
WW2 and mainly 'Der Ost' is my thing, but I am branching out, I have downloaded all the rules and play books, and player aids for GMT's 'Downtown' so will dable with that on VASSAL, it is just I can not justify the price of ASL kit when I find for me I get more bang for my buck with other stuff.

but, that is what I like about our hobby, we are all free to pick what we like to play, ASL for me was 'IT' full stop, I did not play anything else for 2 years, but then that changed, I have not touched it since Jeff went MIA during our Singling CG (anyone know what has happened to him) and that was last October.

all the best

Perry

Last edited:

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Perry!

Cheers,

Mark
I could not agree more that ASL is a lifestyle game. It's the ONLY board game we play. I might solo a different game or two every few years, but my ftf time is ASL only. I know MMP is trying to push 'Front Toward Enemy' and while it may be a great game, my 60yr old mind probably couldn't grasp learning a new system. Most likely, I'd want to play ASL anyway...

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
But, but, the artwork between the overlay (original) and the replacement won't be the same...between the ones you have...never mind the missing 4-5 and 6th? :mad: Now what??? :rolleyes:

Steady now...just tale some slow breaths. There is a solution, if you play on VASL all "your" overlays are there, and they have the same artwork. You have a safe space.
I can't do VASL - I have a abundance of FtF opponents (well, 4-ish).

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Only in the same vein as scalping tickets or popular toys at Christmas time. Just because someone is willing to pay insane prices does not make an item a collectable it just make it an overly expensive indulgence. In 50 years they will just be old cardboard.
You don't seem to have done much study of the subject you're claiming mastery of.

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well there are "completists" and then there are "Completists". :)
I don't have any DASL for example - decided against it from the get go. I don't really have too many 3rd party stuff, and I don't really need to own AbtF. My collection is geared to being able to play as many AH/MMP non-Deluxe scenarios as I can.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know, there are different experiences to be gotten from different games. I am still an avid computer gamer. There are more games out there than you have dreamt of in you philosophy. (to horribly misquote Shakespeare.)

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland

Bill_Dozer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
One thing I will add to the topic is that, contrary to many who felt lukewarm at best about the scenarios in AoO, I have found them to be highly enjoyable. The majority seem to be LG-XL, well designed, and with lots of fun toys/units. I think the tepid reception may have been due to the dearth of tourney fare within it, I could be wrong on that though. CdG has long held first place for me concerning the fun/quality of the scenarios contained in an original module, but now having played all but 2 or 3 from AoO, I'm seriously rethinking that stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.